UKC

Pieps Freeride Transceiver

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oceanic 28 Jan 2010
The Pieps Freeride seems pretty appealing to me as it is cheap, lightweight and designed for the sort of skiing I do (lift served).

However there is a possibility that in the future I will buy touring gear, and do some skiing that isn’t lift served, If I do this, will I regret not buying a multi antennae beacon?

At present I have limited beacon experience (1 practice search with an Ortovox X1). Based on that experience I think that I could quickly get the hang of slowly sweeping a single antennae beacon in front of me to pick up and follow a flux line.

So my question’s are..

1. If you turned up to go skiing with me, and I told you that I had a Pieps freeride, but not to worry because I had practised using it, how would you feel?

2. How easy is it to use a Freeride once you have spent some time getting used to it?

(I’m particularly interested in answers from people who have practiced searching with a Freeride).

Thanks.
 Dr Rorlasaurus 28 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic:

Yeh I want to know more about this too, just spent a large amount on a new 3 antennae ortovox s1 (cos it was the EXACT amount left on my credit card and should have been a great deal more expensive so fate led me to believe it was to be!) but it needs a friend to play with and sit in my rucksack on that day when i am some professional in the mountains instead of someone with a lot of toys
OP Oceanic 28 Jan 2010
In reply to ligemidio:

Presumably you could take your shiny new transceiver to an ARVA practice area to play with it? Or do you mean that you want a second beacon to lend to a friend when going out into the hills?
In reply to Oceanic:

Nearest ARVA practice area to Norfolk is??

It would be my second spare in case I needed it for friend (or for client should I end up there) but I'm reluctant to pay any real money for it although the saving on the shiny one would cover it... except I only bough the shiny one cos it was at that price! Ha supermarket savings mentality, you get more but you spend more than you planned.
OP Oceanic 28 Jan 2010
In reply to ligemidio:

I think if I owned two beacons I would be inclined to lend the easier to use beacon to a friend and carry the Freeride myself.

Fair point about the lack of a practice areas near Norfolk. If you do decide to buy a second beacon I'd willingly meet you at Rutland Water to practice searching for two casualties.

EDIT: Just noticed you're the wrong side of Norfolk for Rutland!
In reply to Oceanic:

Thats kinda why I want to see how easy it IS to use, I can see the point of them getting the simpler one but ideally any friends would have their own after all I don't have a shovel and probe for them too!! Plus if I was giving them an easy one it would be the Pulse, which is what I was going for until I saw the bargain and temptation took over.

Ha yes Rutland is quite a way away...

Wondering if local ski centre does transceiver training?? Hmm that could be interesting
OP Oceanic 28 Jan 2010
In reply to ligemidio:

I'm pretty sure that a Freeride needs considerably more practice to use than a multi antenna beacon.

I think you should organise a UKC transceiver meet

(Climbing on the Saturday, playing with transceivers on the Sunday Morning).
 Dr Rorlasaurus 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic:

If it was a mate and me and they were stupid enough to forget their transceiver (and this is imagining me being more exciting in the future than a humble snowshoer then I probably would like you say let them wear my transceiver so they can find me and I can actually use the other.

As an IML (when I pass) wearing my carnet I would be essentially on-call for any avalanches I am present for so then I would want my nice expensive one that points out where all the bodies are. Clients wouldn't be expected to rescue me (I shouldn't be rescuing them either!) so then I get to play with the shiny one.

Transceiver meet would be cool... imagine the multi burial situations!!
OP Oceanic 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic:

If anyone else reads this thread and likes the idea of a transceiver meet please leave me a message on the thread.

As part of a weekend climbing in the Peak when the weather gets a bit warmer maybe?
In reply to Oceanic:

Maybe we need a new thread appropriately titled!!

Alternatively keep posting lots on here until we maximise the number of views....
 Frank4short 29 Jan 2010
In reply to ligemidio: Actually if you were smart you'd give your friends/clients/people you met on the street the really easy to use one & probe & shovel & take the just all right stuff for yourself. That way the person that's experienced has the harder stuff to use but their experience should make up for the difference in equipment. Meanwhile the inexperienced person who's digging you out, has every advantage possible.

In reply to the OP: It works 2 ways whether you're skiing lift assisted off piste or not. You go for the expensive but easy to use transceiver but don't spend the hours practising as it's not as necessary cause the transceiver will overcome a lot of your failings. Or you save your cash but spend a few more hours learning how to use it properly & staying in practise with how to use. If it makes any difference 5-10+ years ago the majority of transceivers didn't have multiple antennaes & people managed fine they just stayed in better practise. After all there is a reason why the majority of pisteurs use Ortovox F1's
OP Oceanic 29 Jan 2010
In reply to ligemidio:

If this thread sinks without trace I'll do another thread later to try to get people interested.
In reply to Frank4short:

I am both the OP and ligemidio so hello twice, basically I wrote out a few corrections to your statement but it ruined the friendly invite to have a transceiver party so I deleted it.

Basically, train the client in the kit they're going to use. Don't hand them something with a perceived ease of use just in case it's you getting avalanched. If my mate was coming out with me they'd get treated like a client and get to play with the cheap one. Changed my mind there.

P.S. Overiding point to all of my requiring 2 transceivers is so I CAN practice with 2 different types of differing abilities!!
 bobert 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic: Out of interest which is the most commonly used unit these days? I ordered a mammut barryvox yesterday on the basis of it's the one guides tend to use, seems lighter and smaller than say the BCA Trackers, and there are more advanced settings. Oh and three antena.
Also interested in meeting up to practice using these gadgets. I live in the lakes but can get to the peak on a weekend.
 bobert 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to ligemidio) Actually if you were smart you'd give your friends/clients/people you met on the street the really easy to use one & probe & shovel & take the just all right stuff for yourself. That way the person that's experienced has the harder stuff to use but their experience should make up for the difference in equipment. Meanwhile the inexperienced person who's digging you out, has every advantage possible.
>
> In reply to the OP: It works 2 ways whether you're skiing lift assisted off piste or not. You go for the expensive but easy to use transceiver but don't spend the hours practising as it's not as necessary cause the transceiver will overcome a lot of your failings. Or you save your cash but spend a few more hours learning how to use it properly & staying in practise with how to use. If it makes any difference 5-10+ years ago the majority of transceivers didn't have multiple antennaes & people managed fine they just stayed in better practise. After all there is a reason why the majority of pisteurs use Ortovox F1's

There must be a reason why the change to multiple antenna. How many searches with the old technology resulted in a no find, this must have driven the change? After all here in the UK how many normaltons like myself can stay practised to the level that those using them everyday would. Agree with you though the better you are the simpler the kit.
 london_huddy 29 Jan 2010
In reply to bobert:

This is very interesting; school kids using posh 3 antennae transceivers versus old analogue bleepers. My priority is to have the most simple system possible so went for the Ortovox D3.

en.ortovox.com/Documents/Transceiver_Test_Canada_EN_09.pdf
 bobert 29 Jan 2010
In reply to hindu: Isn't the whole point to find and be found as quickly as possible? The technology is available so use it if you can afford it? Cost shouldn't even be an issue. I only ask as you are the expert. You may also want to have a look at this. Something about the D3 being slow/sluggish. http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specifications.asp
 Chris F 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic:

> Fair point about the lack of a practice areas near Norfolk. If you do decide to buy a second beacon I'd willingly meet you at Rutland Water to practice searching for two casualties.
>
> EDIT: Just noticed you're the wrong side of Norfolk for Rutland!

Sand beaches are a great place for practicing. Just remeber to wrap it in a plastic bag and if you want added pressure do it on an incoming tide.

In reply to bobert:

Have you hired a transceiver from a hire shop? Are you aware they do not lend 3 antennae transceivers? Are you aware not everyone can afford their very own transceiver especially when they start out, and actually when they can afford it it's up to them to learn how to use it?
In reply to bobert:

Point is to use a system that you are comfortable with and you know how to use. Person finding you will always find your bleep so as long as you're happy finding them it's all good. Doesn't matter how "advanced" your transceiver might be if you can't figure out how to use it it's useless!
In reply to bobert:

Mammut Barryvox Pulse? Yes excellent very easy to use transceiver, dare I say it you could almost hand it to anyone and the arrows would guide you to the victim. The one I was going to get had I not been so curious as to why the other one was usually so much more expensive yet at this place the same price as a Pulse. Plus if your mates all have Pulses too you can decide on triage who gets dug up and not, as it detects who's still breathing!!
 Facewest.co.uk 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic: Hi,
This is just a tentative suggestion to see if anyone's interested but since we have just about the biggest range of transceivers of anyone in the UK it might be possible for us to run a session where you could try them all out and get a handle on which is best for you. We could also get some people along to give basic instruction (no substitute for hands on experience) and answer your questions.

It would probably have to be somewhere near Leeds if we did run it, would anybody be interested?

Cheers,
Sam
 Stefan Kruger 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic:

I have a Pulse. I find that it shaves vital minutes off the time to find a burial. A 3 antennae beeper is faster and more accurate - in my view, why not go for the best available if you're dealing with survival? Also, even if you are well trained on the analog beeper - in a high stress volatile situation it would almost certainly always be easier to be guided by a fully directional device.

Go to an avalanche practice park next time you're skiing. Try both types. Get the one you're sure you can find your mates with, given the amount of practice of use you will realistically get every year, and in a high-stress, adrenaline-pumping situation with lives at stake.
 bobert 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Facewest.co.uk: Sam yes definitely. I purchased mine yesterday from yourselves and Leeds isn't too far away.
 bobert 29 Jan 2010
In reply to ligemidio:
> (In reply to bobert)
>
> Have you hired a transceiver from a hire shop? Are you aware they do not lend 3 antennae transceivers? Are you aware not everyone can afford their very own transceiver especially when they start out, and actually when they can afford it it's up to them to learn how to use it?

A little bit patronising. Didn't mean to offend you, maybe you took my post the wrong way. I agree with what you say in the last bit.
In reply to bobert:

Sorry didn't mean to be patronising. Read your post again and I was a little extreme in my response...
 Frank4short 29 Jan 2010
In reply to ligemidio:
> I am both the OP and ligemidio so hello twice,

So you're Oceanic a 35 year old man as well as Ligemido a 23 year old girl? The wonders of the internet will never cease, or are you just a 35 year old man who has an alterego as a tranny being a 23 year old girl?

> Basically, train the client in the kit they're going to use. Don't hand them something with a perceived ease of use just in case it's you getting avalanched. If my mate was coming out with me they'd get treated like a client and get to play with the cheap one. Changed my mind there.
>
> P.S. Overiding point to all of my requiring 2 transceivers is so I CAN practice with 2 different types of differing abilities!!

Whilst i don't disagree with your assessment about having 2 transceivers to get familiar & skilled with both types. I still stand by my previous assessment. The facts are as an instructor you should be well versed & skilled in the use of this equipment. So it shouldn't make a massive difference to you which unit you use. However in the main you will only ever have a limited period of time to show & practice the use of these devices with your clients. After all they'll be paying you to take them out not show them how to use a transceiver, even though that may be part of the course/guiding/instruction. Therefore the sensible thing to do is give them the easier to use model as should something go wrong you'd want them to have every advantage in finding you.
 nakedave 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Facewest.co.uk: yep, defo interested
In reply to Frank4short:

Ah shite sorry!!! Ok fine you are right I am embarrassed I forgot that this wasn't my own post (I had another transceiver one but I think it's lost) It was late, forgive me.

Actually you are incorrect, the only time in my remit as an IML that I will issue transceivers is when I am training them in their use as the day out as it is out of my remit that we get in any terrain where I would need to search for them let alone them search for me. Noone should be given a "quick briefing on how they work" as when it all hits the fan that will not be any use!

Yes I need to be skilled in all types as I would be expected to teach the use of all types. But it will make my life easier to have the one that is better at it's job should I need to lead an avalanche search.
 jon 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to ligemidio)
> [...]
>
>However in the main you will only ever have a limited period of time to show & practice the use of these devices with your clients. After all they'll be paying you to take them out not show them how to use a transceiver, even though that may be part of the course/guiding/instruction. Therefore the sensible thing to do is give them the easier to use model as should something go wrong you'd want them to have every advantage in finding you.

Nail on the head F4S. I'd bet that the majority of guides over here that work by the day, rather than having a group for a week don't do ANY search practice. They just hand out gear and they're off - otherwise no fresh tracks. Just one of many reasons that I only work with my regular ski touring groups - and NEVER ski in the Chamonix valley!
 stevev 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic: Barryvox pulse beat the rest hands down on my Avi course last weekend in Chamonix. Even in multiple burials it was just a matter of walking around the bodies, searching wasn't really involved.

The single and two aerial transceiver people were having a lot more problems. Deciphering the two different tones was difficult in multiple burials.

A transceiver with the facility to Mark the bodies as you find them and ignore that tone from then on was invaluable.
craigloon 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic:

For the vast majority of folk who aren't guides and only get a couple of weeks backcountry action a year, the best transceiver is the easiest one to use. I've never used the Pieps Freeride, but have owned a similar single-antenna digital transceiver, the DTS Tracker for 6 years. This is (or until recently was) also the most popular and best selling transceiver on the market for a reason: It is dead easy to use. A lot of guides recommend them or supply them to their clients for the same reason.

I have fortunately never been in a real avalanche situation, but practice every year with the Tracker and have also taken part in several "realistic" multiple burial exercises in real terrain (ie not the hotel carpark or chalet garden). You would not believe the confusion and stress even such an exercise can induce in a group. This would be hugely attenuated in a real-life situation where your loved one or pals are the ones that are buried. Fancy transceivers which mark multiple burials are great for snow professionals who spend every day in the backcountry, but not for us normal punters. I would much rather ski with someone who had a simple easy to use single antenna device than one of the complicated all-singing all-dancing ones. So in answer to your questions:

1. yes
2. No personal experience, but don't see why it shouldn't be.
OP Oceanic 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to ligemidio)
> [...]
>
> So you're Oceanic a 35 year old man as well as Ligemido a 23 year old girl? ... or are you just a 35 year old man who has an alterego as a tranny being a 23 year old girl?
>

Don't be daft, everyone knows my internet alter-ego is a 24 year old florist called Hannah.

In reply to Oceanic:

And I've just realised, I'm 22...
 Frank4short 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Oceanic: Nice...
 Frank4short 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Facewest.co.uk: Hey Sam i'm looking for a pieps goniometer PIEPS 30°PLUS. Any chance you'll be getting them in the next month or so?
 Davy Gunn 29 Jan 2010
In reply to craigloon:

Tracker is great. 98% of burials are single so the DTS1 and the new DTS2 (tracker) don't waste processing time on the 2% of multiple burials which a good search technique such as 3 circle method can achieve. A big red light and now the DTS2 with it's 3 antenna has big ***k off pull button to go to search mode that you can pull with a ski glove. The Mammut is like gran's old B&W telly in bad light and the triage function (IMHO) is misleading and debatable. A lot of rescuers like it though as if a rescue party gets hit then it shows more easily where everyone is relatively. If the movement is 2m under while another victim is only a few cm's under but not moving, who has the best chance of survival? Survival is proportional to depth. Depth = time and time = triple H syndrome. The Tracker in my opinion is still the best ski companion rescue transceiver. I have tried the Pieps DSP and many others. The new Arvas are up there with the Tracker, but Tracker just edges it for me. sorry to but in but avalanche and off piste safety is my thing having been at the bad end of pulling out the victims for whom it is too late.
 Facewest.co.uk 05 Feb 2010
In reply to Frank4short: Afraid not, we do have an analogue BCA clinometer which is a fair bit less pricey though: http://www.facewest.co.uk/BCA-Slope-Meter.html

We've also just finished our avalanche transceiver review with an in depth look at each model we sell including demo single and multiple burial search videos for each so if anyone's still looking for some advice then take a look.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Transceiver-Review-2010.html
 Davy Gunn 06 Feb 2010
In reply to Facewest.co.uk:

Great test and I am sure folk will appreciate it. Like you I have tested these transceivers and it's pleasing to see that you like me think the DTS 2 is very good. I tell folk in MRT that the Pulse may be of value if a rescue party is hit as there could be multiple burials, but for companion ski rescue the DTS 2 is the one for me. I confess to thinking the movement sensor a bit controversial. A 1.5m burial with movement or a shallow burial with none - who has the best chance of survival? The 15m window as described by ICAR is an optimum, very few folk in reality survive even 4 minutes of burial.

What's the issue with the software upgrade now required for the Barryvox as folk are getting charged for it in Europe?
 Facewest.co.uk 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Young Fox: Hi,
Stu's knocked out an addendum which addresses the question you've raised about updates and some comments from pistehors and snowheads, please see here: http://www.facewest.co.uk/facewestblog/2010/02/10/transceiver-review-2010-u...

"It’s best to update your software to the latest version to improve performance. This is currently possible for the Barryvox Pulse, Pieps DSP, Ortovox S1 and the Tracker 2. All the transceivers sold by Facewest are shipped with the latest software at time of shipping. Barryvox, Ortovox and Pieps supply the updating unit to us and then suggest a charge to the customer. At Facewest if you buy your transceiver from us we will always update it for free and only ask £5 for the return postage. If you didn’t buy it from us then we charge £15 including postage. Updated request here: http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/productInformationPopups/transceiverUpdates.ht..."
graham F 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Facewest.co.uk: Thanks for the link to the review, very useful. There is currently a recall on post Aug 2009 Ortovox S1 as some units have a software error. The transceiver occasionally "marks" a signal without a button being pressed - which had us baffled and blaming the user last week!
More details here: http://en.ortovox.com/home.html
 Facewest.co.uk 10 Feb 2010
In reply to graham F: Thanks Graham, for some reason we'd not received a copy of that advisory. The newer software version is a massive upgrade from the old so it would be worth doing even without this issue.

We can upgrade the S1, Pieps DSP and Mammut Pulse Barryvox transceivers for a small fee (free for our customers) so if you come across anyone else with an old version we'd be happy to sort it out for them. details here:

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/productInformationPopups/transceiverUpdates.ht...

Cheers,
Sam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...