UKC

Indoor climbing place suitable for 10 yo/Near Leicester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 29 Jan 2010
Hi all.

Are there any indoor climbing facilities near Leicester suitable for both a ten year old who likes climbing on various playground equipment, but has no other experience, and an adult (me)? I'd be interested in something that is the next logical step from climbing in playgrounds, but might include (even if a low height) some sort of rope. We'd need to have at least some instruction.

Bit late notice I know (only thought of it this morning). But it's for tomorrow, when my partner is off on her own, and I've got to think of something for myself and my son to do.

Any ideas? In general any ideas for interesting outings would be appreciated, even if they don't match my above description.
In reply to Annoying Twit:

No post editing facility for this forum.

This place: http://www.thetowerclimbingcentre.co.uk/ appears to be walking distance from our home. A fairly long walk, but certainly accessible

Only thing I'm not sure about is whether there are activities suitable for absolute beginner children. They aren't answering their phone.

[quote]
There are three climbing areas, “The Tower” 15m lead wall, “The Bouldering Wall” with an Arch & Cave and “The Bloc” 8 m training room with 12 bottom ropes in-situ. The centre boasts over 200 established routes from F4 to F8b+, a total surface area of 600m2 and provides a unique and friendly base for the teaching of rock climbing in all it’s forms.
[/quote]

F4 to F8b+?????????

This looks interesting:

[quote]1:2 Session* 90 Mins
£55.00
N/A
N/A
[/quote]

I'd presume that in that time, there would be enough to get him and me going up the easiest parts, in safety?
stoke scrambler 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Annoying Twit: I just did a quick search and theres a wall near you in a leisure centre. I think most walls do beginners sessions and hire equipment so might be worth giving them a ring. Saturdays tend to be busy though.
In reply to stoke scrambler: You posted whilst I was typing, thats the wall I found in the search
 metal arms 29 Jan 2010
> This looks interesting:
>
> [quote]1:2 Session* 90 Mins
> £55.00
> N/A
> N/A
> [/quote]
>
> I'd presume that in that time, there would be enough to get him and me going up the easiest parts, in safety?

Any taster style session you go on with a child will be more about you learning all the safety so that they can climb. A 10 year old would not be able (allowed) to hold the rope for an adult. If there were two adults learning you would both be able to climb as would the child.

Just a bit of food for thought for you.

In reply to metal arms:

Thanks to both of you.

I wouldn't mind if it was just him climbing and me holding the rope. It's mainly an outing for him. As an adult, I come second these days. As my partner is doing her own thing on Saturday, I'll be able to do my own thing some other time.
In reply to Annoying Twit: might be worth asking if they do a kids club. I think thats what they have at the Warrington wall, not sure but I think theres some sort of awards scheme as well, gives them something to aim for.
In reply to stoke scrambler:

Yes. I'll ask that if we go tomorrow (junior may refuse, but I suspect not), and he enjoys it.

The Bloc area of the The Tower in Beaumont Leys would be perfect. However, you do have to demonstrate that you can put on a harness, belay and tie in (this is all TESTED, it's not just a tick form like some climbing walls). Then, I believe, you can become a member straight away and sign your son in as a guest. Although I'm not sure if they have any additional regs about kids - I know they mostly all wear helmets but you'd be able to hire them from there. I suspect you may also have to book instruction in advance. Give them a ring today, they're always very helpful.
In reply to Ava Adore:

I can't do any of this. I was hoping that we would get instruction first to learn this, and that this is what the 1:2 90 minute session would achieve. If I can get in contact with the centre, this is the first thing I was going to ask.
PS: (No edit).

I've tried phoning and emailing, but they're not answering the phone, and no email reply yet. (Though, it's only been a short time since I emailed).

Hope you manage to get through OK. Even if it's a no go for tomorrow, hopefully you'll manage to sort something in the future?
Tomorrow's not possible as they don't have any 1:1 sessions running. A week evening will be possible, also perhaps on Sundays. Given how close The Tower is, once we'd got the basics and could register, more frequent trips would be possible.

Beaumanor Hall is also a possibility for the future. But probably not for tomorrow. They're going to send me some leaflets.

Last time my partner did her own thing, we managed to turn it into a weekend camping trip to the lake district! But that was summer, and it's a bit cold-ish now. I suppose I'll check what movies are on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...