UKC

Kinder Scout Downfall - Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy_e 02 Feb 2010
Any one been up there recently?

Was thinking of doing some trad either there or Norhern / Southen Edge.

Is it still frozen up, or is trad possible yet?
 Dan_S 02 Feb 2010
In reply to talon_guy:

I was up there on Saturday having a walk. There was a fair amount of ice under foot, and some very icy snow in places. The downfall area still had bits of ropey looking ice and snow on it, certainly not in winter condition though, but probably not in trad climbing condition either.

It was 6 degrees and raining hard in New Mills this morning, so It'll help strip things further I'd imagine.
 Duncan I 02 Feb 2010
In reply to Dan_S:
> (In reply to talon_guy)
>
> I was up there on Saturday having a walk. There was a fair amount of ice under foot, and some very icy snow in places. The downfall area still had bits of ropey looking ice and snow on it, certainly not in winter condition though, but probably not in trad climbing condition either.
>
> It was 6 degrees and raining hard in New Mills this morning, so It'll help strip things further I'd imagine.

I ran along most of the western edge of Kinder on Sunday in the Kinder Trial and the crags were all either covered in snow or heavily rimed. The downfall itself still has a lot of ice on it and is still sporting an impending and impressive neve cornice. There is a lot of water running behind the ice and I doubt that it's currently climbable.

It is indeed 6 deg C and raining heavily as I look out of my window towards Kinder but I see that we're forecast a heavy dump of snow so don't get too excited about it stripping any time soon. Why not head over to Frodsham and help out with the clean-up? It's good karma for starting the climbing year

Jon Stewart 02 Feb 2010
In reply to talon_guy: Wow - trad on Kinder North in a really cold winter. What a peculiar hobby.
 Duncan I 03 Feb 2010
In reply to talon_guy:

If you want to see some piccies of the Downfall area on Sunday afternoon, look at this chap's blog.

http://www.justusandafewfriends.blogspot.com/

Clicking on the first image will zoom in and give you some insight into what you'll need to be wearing to get up the routes around the Downfall.

Wrap up warm, it's sleeting here at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...