UKC

Scafell Pike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone tell me the conditions of Scafell from recent asents. I am heading off tomorrow and will be trying it on wednesday/thursday. I would like to know if the conditions are still snowy/icy? (For exmaple, are crampons/ice axe nessary? I would think so, but I like to know in adavanced) Cheers for all the help.
Removed User 15 Feb 2010
In reply to 80766: As ever it depends on which way up you're planning on going surely?
In reply to Removed User: Yes of course, most likey Wasdale route, and then if conditions are good pick a susitble scramble. However, I would just like know, more to the point, if it is still snwoy/icy up the 700m+ area or if it has thawed out?
Removed User 15 Feb 2010
In reply to 80766: Hiya. Full on winter conditions above 700m if approaching Mickledore via Brown Tongue.
In reply to Removed User: Cheers for that.
 ox 15 Feb 2010
In reply to 80766: Yes full on winter at Great End friday lots of ice on paths that were hard to avoid.there must be 5ft of snow on the tops we walked across a stone shelter that only had an 1inch showing,so yes take axe and crampons.
In reply to ox: Thanks for that aswell
 ju2ltd 15 Feb 2010
In reply to 80766: I was there yesterday (Sunday) - the path from Borrowdale very icy in places - probably more dangerous than some of the routes. And still plenty of snow and ice on the summit of Great End. I would go fully prepared.
 Andy Can 15 Feb 2010
In reply to 80766: Big dump of snow on Great End today. You'll need the full monty kit if you're venturing above 650m. Have fun.
 jas wood 15 Feb 2010
In reply to 80766: you might want to consider something else than a scramble as it was in good winter climbing conditions on saturday and it seems to have had snow since !

jas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...