UKC

Fitting a Slider to rubber-shafted axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 16 Feb 2010
Can this be done? Specifically, I would like to fit a Slider to my Grivel Jorasses axe, which has a black shaft and a (flush) rubber grip. It would be nice if the slider could work as designed, ie. slide up to the head when required, but it's not the end of the world if it won't do this!

p.s. I've already tried fitting the Horn and it fits fine, but I would like to mount a griprest a little further up the handle, to still give me a few inches of usable spike beneath the grip (it's a 63cm axe).
In reply to Only a hill:

Isn't a 65cm axes with a reverse curve pick counter productive?

Why don't you cut the shaft down to a useful length?
OP Only a hill 16 Feb 2010
In reply to the cassin ridge:
Ffor the uses I plan to put the axe to I quite like this sort of length. I tend to prefer 60 / 65cm for a walking axe anyway, but find the main drawback with my current MT Alpine axe to be the curved pick, which just isn't as good for actually climbing with, as I mentioned in my previous post on the topic. What I was after was a longer Alp Wing with a decent spike, which is what the Jorasses basically is!

Haven't actually tried out the new Jorasses, but I expect it will be ideal as a versatile ice axe and more useful than my old mountaineering axe. Not going to be climbing anything harder than about Grade III with it anyway, so the extra length won't be a problem and will be more comfortable for the 'upright' parts of a climb!
 AndyGrey86 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Only a hill: You seem to be constantly buying and modifying ice axes. This will not help you get up routes. I suggest you stop worrying about it and go climbing. Alp wings are fine for climbing in the alps, hence the name. Most people I know who climb in the alps only own one pair of axes.
OP Only a hill 17 Feb 2010
In reply to AndyGrey86:
I wouldn't say I'm 'constantly buying and modifying ice axes', not sure where you get this idea from? I've used my Alp Wings over the past year on quite a few routes and have no complaints with them. I plan to still be using them in five or ten years if they haven't fallen to bits by then.

My only issue is that I prefer a longer shaft and better spike for non-technical climbing and glacier travel. This is why I got the Jorasses, so on certain routes I can pair it up with an Alp Wing and have a decent compromise.

I think I get out climbing quite often enough thanks!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...