UKC

do soft shell pants need waterproofs as well?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 16 Feb 2010
just bought a pair of Bionassay stretchy soft shell pants planning to use in scotland. I've got sofething similar from aldi (no snigggering now) which I've often worn without waterproofs over (they just end up a bit damp by the end of the day) - so, how do other people arrange their legwear??
 Si dH 16 Feb 2010
In reply to FrankBooth:
I have a pair of Montane Terra XT's, never had any need at all for somethign over them.
 Oceanic 16 Feb 2010
In reply to FrankBooth:

I have a pair of Bionassay soft shell pants, I don't wear waterproofs over them, but I do wear Marmot DriClime Side Zip Pants under them...

http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/index.cfm?action=shop.detail&pid=DCF5...

the combination seems to work really well.
 Adam Long 17 Feb 2010
In reply to FrankBooth:

Not for strolling around in. But when you start swimming up snowy gullies, or climbing melting ice, they're not enough and you'll get wet legs. I carry some gore-tex pants and then stick them on before my harness.
 Lurking Dave 17 Feb 2010
In reply to FrankBooth: depends on the level of movement, if you are active the softshell works and works well. Standing belaying in Scottish winter, you will be wet and cold.

LD
episodit 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Oceanic:
> (In reply to FrankBooth)
>
> I have a pair of Bionassay soft shell pants, I don't wear waterproofs over them, but I do wear Marmot DriClime Side Zip Pants under them...
>
> http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/index.cfm?action=shop.detail&pid=DCF5...
>
> the combination seems to work really well.

Can you put these on without removing the top layer completely .. I'm looking for such a base-layer, ta.
 Conf#2 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Oceanic:
> (In reply to FrankBooth)
>
> Marmot DriClime Side Zip Pants
>
What a name! How do they think of these things?
To the OP:
I tend not to figuring if I do get a bit damp i'll dry on the walk out (s'long as its not raining that is), and also knowing that the softshells are going to be fine s'long as i'm not hanging around kneeling for ages.

Danzig 17 Feb 2010
In reply to FrankBooth: Mammut Base Jump Pants paired with a pair of Rab Lofoten eVent overtrousers in the sac, just incase. If its wet & cold then I'll start out with the Sprayway Alpine GTX salopettes and pair those with thermals if really cold.
 robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Si dH: same for me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...