UKC

Almscliff - what a mess

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Grahame N 17 Feb 2010
In 35 years of climbing I've never visited Almscliff which is a bit remiss of me given that people often rave about the place. However I happened to be in Yorkshire on a family holiday (half-term) a few days ago and persuaded wife and kids that Almscliff would be a good place to visit for a short walk on a damp day.

Sure enough the crag looked good for a revisit sometime but never ever have I seen so much litter at a crag. The parking laybys were strewen with rubbish, and bottles and cans had been thrown into the fields, and at the crag almost every nook and cranny had rubbish in it, and there was a serious amount of broken glass about.

Now I'm sure this is not all the fault of climbers, I expect the place gets its fair share of dog walkers - but it doesn't do climbing any favours. I would respectfully suggest that local climbers get organised and have a clean up day. I wonder what the farmer thinks of the mess.
banned profile 74 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Grahame N: i was there about 2 weeks ago and encountered no litter but theres always a few bits of broken glass about
 Nige M 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Grahame N: When I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be about the amount of cow shit under DWR.

The litter at Almscliff is indeed a sad state of affairs. I've been climbing there on average 3 days a week since last September and after every visit I return home with a bag full of rubbish, yet there is just as much again by the next visit. It's like painting the Forth Bridge.

I agree that most of it is not the work of climbers but the chalk wrappers, finger tape, tooth brushes, beer towels and odd rock boots surely are!

Please help tidy the place up a bit when you next visit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...