UKC

Alternative to PYB Conville winter skills course?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 amandaleeds 20 Feb 2010
Hi,

I can't get on the Plas y Brenin heavily discounted winter courses as I'm too old aged 31! I'm a student so I can't afford the standard winter skills courses but really want to get to grips with winter mountaineering as I've done a bit in the alps and Andes but always with guides or experienced people and would like to be in a position where I am competent enough myself to join an experienced group without the need to hire guides. I'm keen to climb Mt Blanc later this year but understand that it is not a simple trekking route and I really need to be more knowledgable in reading avalanche conditions and safe glacier crossings and practice crevasse rescues.

Does anyone know of any other subsidised winter skills course that doesn't have an age limit? Please e-mail me with details. I am based in Leeds but have a car so can travel.

Thanks,

Amanda
 Sam_in_Leeds 20 Feb 2010
In reply to amandaseims:

If you're a student will your Uni mountaineering club not run a semi-subsidised one?

OP amandaleeds 20 Feb 2010
In reply to amandaseims: The uni club doesn't get much funding from the student union. I think with the small amount of money they will get this year they need to replace climbing gear.

They advised everyone to apply for the Conville course - some members get on every year but as I said, I am much older and PYB restrict it to people under the age of 30. I guess they assume that by my age I'll have sorted out a career and will be able to afford a standard course but I'm a PhD student so still working on getting the quals to start the career!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...