UKC

DMM Shadow Secure krabs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Coel Hellier 11 Mar 2010
Has anyone used the Shadow Secure krabs, if so what do you think of them? Anyone know a shop that stocks them?, I'd like to buy a couple to try out.
 Kev1978 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Coel Hellier:
I have a couple Coel, although I can't really give you a comparison as they the first locking krabs I've bought myself (I'm fairly new to climbing). In the 6 months or so I’ve used them I’ve not had any issues with them catching or the barrel sticking, I would definitely consider buying more. I bought mine from Lakes Climber (lakesclimber.com), £10 ea. free p+p.
 Glansa 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Kev1978:

Sounds like Coel is referring to these http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?pid=1&pid2=214 rather than the full locking version, http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?pid=3&pid2=64

Not got any but also interested in opinions

Nick
 uncontrollable 11 Mar 2010

would love to have a look at them but haven't seen them anywhere yet
 TobyA 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Coel Hellier: I'm sure Simon at DMM will see this soon enough and fill us in - but my impression is that they haven't hit the shops yet. After my initial scepticism ('just another plain gate krab') I've become a huge fan of the standard Shadows - just a great rock climbing krab ( http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1140 )- so was hoping to try out and review for UKC the Shadow Secures. But they don't appear to available.

I don't have many criticism of DMM but they do have a bit of a habit of tempting us with great looking pictures of things in the catalogue or ads that then aren't available! Its just teasing the fans of their gear. Last year's catalogue has a picture and details of a Revolution screw with a fold out handle which would be in the running for the best screw on the market - but it didn't seem to make it out of the design stage. Similar happened with the revolution some years back - there were lots of pictures of it, but that design was never quite realised and the current design turned up only later.
 Tom_Harding 11 Mar 2010
In reply to TobyA: The evolution ice-screws are on the way still (Their listed in the 2010 catalog). They are going to be a small fortune though (RRP £50-£60 ish??) . If i remeber correctly DMM couldent get the handle cheap enough to compete with BD so they did somthing brave and released new screws without handels. Unless they have found a way to greatly reduce the procuction costs i dont think many people are going to buy them over BD (unless there amazing).
OP Coel Hellier 11 Mar 2010
In reply to TobyA:

> I'm sure Simon at DMM will see this soon enough and fill us in - but my impression is that they haven't hit the shops yet.

I've seen them advertised by US shops, but not in the UK. Perhaps they're only distributed in the US at the moment.
In reply to Nick B, Another One:

> Sounds like Coel is referring to these http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?pid=1&pid2=214

Yep, they look interesting. I'd really like to play with some to see how the mechanism feels in practise. (I also wonder whether DMM are planning a bent-gate version.)
 Kev1978 11 Mar 2010
In reply to uncontrollable:
Oops, sorry – my inexperience shows again. Looks like an interesting piece of equipment, maybe one day I’ll be good enough to need the benefits of such a device
Simon Marsh 11 Mar 2010

They are not available yet - we have actually been looking at finalising this carabiner for over two years now.

It has been quite complex getting a consistent action on the gate so that it feels like a normal carabiner whilst the locking switch works smoothly after repeated abuse.

I was actually playing with a pre-production sample this morning and the project designer is sure that he is very close to signing this project off - samples are undergoing long term testing now.

It is not possible to fit the mechanism in a fully bent gate because there is not enough linear length/volume inside the gate - but the large recess on the front side of the gate makes clipping the rope really easy.

Regards

Simon

DMM
 beardy mike 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Simon Marsh: What do you see the main use simon? Slings are one major area, I guess as secondary points at a belay too, and critical runners. And what about this screw then? When's that due to happen?
In reply to Simon Marsh:

> They are not available yet - we have actually been looking at finalising this carabiner for over two years now.

Many thanks for the information. I look forward to buying some when they're ready.
 TobyA 11 Mar 2010
In reply to TobyA: Sorry I meant the Revolver krab not the Revolution (an ice screw).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...