UKC

Costa Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 16 Mar 2010
[The classic shot of Tai Chi at Olta on the Costa Blanca, 2 kb]The Costa Blanca is Spain's most popular winter sun destination for climbers from all over Europe and further afield. With sport climbs and DWS's by the boat load and some fine mountain trad routes it is a place for the first timer or old hand.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2529
 Alun 16 Mar 2010
INice article.

The climbing in that area, just like the natural beauty, is breathtaking. My boss was telling me just the other day how he remember going to village near Benidorm for his summer holidays, when he was a kid. That was 50 years ago and there wasn't even electricity and barely any running water, it was just wooden shacks around the beach.

The shame is now that the undoubtedly spectacular scenery has been completely ruined by development, which continues its relentless march. I further think it's a shame that much of the local culture has been destroyed by expats, so much so that in many of the town and villages the residents don't mix - there's one for the Germans, one for the English, and one for the 'locals' etc.

Spectacular scenery and great climbing it may have, but I shan't be rushing back.
 Alun 16 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:
By the way, forum mods - the title of this thread is so long that if you try to 'Submit' after you've "Previewed", you get an error pop-up saying "The title of this thread is over 64 characters".

The only way you can post is by not previewing your message first.
 gaz parry 19 Mar 2010
In reply to Alun: Admittedly the developments of Calpe and Benidorm are a bit of an eye sore but all that coastal development is exactly that. To say the culture has been completely destroyed is a bit over the top, you only have to visit Benidorm, Denia or Calpe in the fiesta season to see that it is well and truly alive and kicking. Stray a little off the beaten track to find the villages and culture. Just take a drive inland and head up the Val De Gallinera only 15mins from the coast and you will discover Spain. Most of the crags i climb at now i rarely meet anyone and only then its usually Spanish. There is a lot more to the Costa Blanc than Sella. I always thought the reason the UK was such a cool country today was because of the culture mix. Gaz Parry www.epic-adventures.eu
 Al Evans 19 Mar 2010
In reply to Alun:
> INice article.
> The shame is now that the undoubtedly spectacular scenery has been completely ruined by development, which continues its relentless march. > Spectacular scenery and great climbing it may have, but I shan't be rushing back.

Actually it is not continuing its relentless march, construction in the CB has virtually ground to a halt.
 martin heywood 19 Mar 2010
In reply to gaz parry:
I always thought the reason the UK was such a cool country today was because of the culture mix. Gaz Parry www.epic-adventures.eu

I don't see much evidence of culture mixing in the Costa Blanca, most of the ex -pats don't even speak Spanish. Can you imagine how these immigrants would be viewed in Britain if they didn't even try to speak English? The place is to a large degree a shithole and most of the climbing is mediocre.
And what's the name of the fat stripper who pulls razor blades out of her (I am not sure which word is acceptable on the forums) that so many here seem to be acquainted with) FFS.
And please don't start Sam, I know you couldn't wait to get back to the UK.
Oh, and before any one else mentions it I know a lot of the Costa Del Sol is as bad.
Rant over.
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> By the way, forum mods - the title of this thread is so long that if you try to 'Submit' after you've "Previewed", you get an error pop-up saying "The title of this thread is over 64 characters".

Thanks Alun - that bug should now be fixed.
 Sam Mayfield 19 Mar 2010
In reply to martin heywood:

I can start as much as I like, thank you very much Martin!

I was desperate to come back to the UK but not for any of the reasons you think. My kids needed to further their education, I missed my friends, I missed green but I have never slagged off the area and never will!

I can show you masses of culture mixing on the Costa Blanca, my kids speak perfect Spanish and had many Spanish friends even though I sent them to the Internation School for most the time over there. I have friends that have lived on the Blanca since birth with UK mum, Spanish Dad etc, you really have not got a clue. Another person who comes for a few weeks and thinks they know the place.

and as for the climbing well...........

Sam
 Alun 19 Mar 2010
> I don't see much evidence of culture mixing in the Costa Blanca, most of the ex -pats don't even speak Spanish. Can you imagine how these immigrants would be viewed in Britain if they didn't even try to speak English?

I couldn't agree more.

And Al Evans, construction has only ground to a sudden halt (all over Spain) because of a lack of money. Frequently this means the semi-permanence of half-finished shells with gaping windows, which is even worse than completed identikit time-share apartment blocks as far as the eye can see.
 Sam Mayfield 19 Mar 2010
In reply to Alun:

Come on Alun, its the same all over the world you cant lay it all on The Brits on The Costa Blanca!

What about the 1000's of immigrants that do live in the UK and have done all their lives that dont speak English. The none speaking Brits in Spain at least dont take money from the state!

Please dont even think for a minute that I am racist by saying that!
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

And as for the climbing what?
I am glad your kids speak perfect Spanish but that is hardly surprising. A high percentage of the expats are retired and do not have kids there.
I am sure we all have friends who have parents from different countries too.
The last thing I expect you to do is slag off the area.
I am very far from being someone who spent a few weeks in the area (though if I had known better I wouldn't have spent so long there)
Admittedly I didn't know anything about your reasons for leaving..
 Sam Mayfield 19 Mar 2010

I am sure we have already had this conversation a few years ago.

Seacliffs
Big mountains routes over a 1000m long
World class Sport
Easy sport
Roadside sport
Inland DWS
DWS over the med
Via ferratas
Ridges
Caves
Tallest sea stack in Europe

massive amounts of new route potential
empty crags if you know where to go

and on and on and on........

Yes, I am getting that sense of deja vu.
We will have to agree to disagree

Ok Sam, the next time I am in the area I will try to arrange a visit.
I am a little overdue to catch up with Laslo for a chat anyway..
 Sam Mayfield 19 Mar 2010

Great only I will be in wet devon! ;0)

Have you climbed at El Coloseo or the water cave, or Pirates, I can send you the topo for the sea cliffs, I am told they are world class but not for the faint hearted! Paul Thorburn has done loads of work this season and more still to do.

Sam

It's a shame you deleted your last post Sam, I thought it showed you in a nice light.
Glad you loved Rodellar though, it is a beautiful place
 Sam Mayfield 19 Mar 2010

I didnt delete it Martin, I think the mods got it but dont know why!

Maybe cause I said how I loved your area and cant wait to come back.

I am nice really just very passionate about things I like...

Sam :0)
> (In reply to martin heywood)
>
> Great only I will be in wet devon! ;0)
>
> Have you climbed at El Coloseo or the water cave, or Pirates, I can send you the topo for the sea cliffs, I am told they are world class but not for the faint hearted! Paul Thorburn has done loads of work this season and more still to do.
>
> Sam

Maybe Stork can send me his email address?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...