UKC

Long dstance walking footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm walking 100km over the South Downs in 24 hours in July for Gurkha dependants/Oxfam. Don't really think I need boots but have no idea what shoes would be suitable.

Any recommendations/advice?

Thanks,

Rich
 pol 20 Mar 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert: If it is dry and sunny trainers and if it is wet grippy trainers.
In reply to pol:

Ordinary running trainers rather than approach shoes?

I wondered if a slightly stiffer sole would help
 petestack 20 Mar 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert:

'Ordinary running trainers' are probably the most comfortable option as well as more than adequate for the terrain (I've run the whole West Highland Way in them in one go).
 Ander 20 Mar 2010
In reply to petestack: Agreed and seconded
 Andy Cairns 20 Mar 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert: Worth checking out Ronald Turnbull's book 'Three Peaks, Ten Tors'. Like all his stuff it is very entertainingly written, and has a load of useful information.

He says almost every member of the Long Distance Walkers Association uses trail (or approach) shoes, as they are lighter than boots and have a more robust sole than trainers, and are comfortable on all surfaces. He says fell or cross country running shoes definitely don't have enough shock-absorbing if there is any hard surface to be covered, and will cause blisters more quickly. He says unless it's bone-dry you WILL get wet feet, either through sweat or water getting in and a blister kit is essential after about 50 miles. I think I'll take his word for it!

Cheers
Andy
pwhiteside 20 Mar 2010

I did the same walk back in October (in 4 days not 24hrs) wearing boots. I decided to wear boots because I was carrying all my camping gear and there had been loads of rain in the run up to me leaving. I was glad I had chosen boots but did keep thinking how much less effort it would have been if I had been wearing my salomon approach shoes. Had I gone in July, with the ambition of doing it in 24hrs, I would have defintely taken the approach shoes. Some of those hills are steeper than they look and can be fairly relentless.
 petestack 20 Mar 2010
In reply to Andy Cairns:
> He says fell or cross country running shoes definitely don't have enough shock-absorbing if there is any hard surface to be covered, and will cause blisters more quickly.

NB By the OP's 'ordinary running trainers', I understood road-running shoes. Which I wear for everything I can (including many rough off-road courses) for pretty well the reasons you cite.

> He says unless it's bone-dry you WILL get wet feet, either through sweat or water getting in and a blister kit is essential after about 50 miles.

Trainers let water in and water out, which works! Unless they're Goretex-lined types (like some approach shoes), which let it in (over the tops) but not out again. And, while I'd agree with c.50 miles re. blistering soles, I've found my heels/toes etc. generally survive in road shoes where they more often suffer in hill/trail shoes. (Caveat: we're all different!)
Removed User 20 Mar 2010
http://www.tiso.com/shop/scarpa/enigma_xcr/
Best things I've ever bought. Comfortable. Waterproof.

Thank you for all the responses.

I have a pair of waterproof approach shoes and Innov8 trail runners. I'm torn between getting some more breathable non membrane approach shoes or road runners.

I'm tending towards the road runners.
 robdan 21 Mar 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert: Hi, I did the same event in '07. There's 2.8km of ascent and descent and much of the terrain although very easy is uneven etc. I used trail shoes. Tape up and plaster up those feet in advance as even with 2 pairs of socks incl inners you'll most likely get blisters. You'll be in a team of 4, you can get by with 2 rucksacks between you to save on weight, don't take too much water as you can top up at the checkpoints every 8-10km. In fact I did the first 40km of the route yesterday with a pal for some enduarance training, great day although weather was challenging ! Good luck, cheers
In reply to robdan:

Great- beta!

Do many people use walking poles? I trashed mine this winter and might get replacements.

Some one suggested having two pairs of shoes, one larger than the other to cope with swollen feet!
 petestack 21 Mar 2010
In reply to robdan:
> Tape up and plaster up those feet in advance as even with 2 pairs of socks incl inners you'll most likely get blisters.

IMHO you'll get more blisters with extra socks than a single pair of socks and shoes that fit...

robdan 21 Mar 2010
In reply to petestack: You may well be right Pete, I always seem to get them so whatever I do is not working that well !

Quite a few people (at least half) used poles is does take strain off the knees.

I wouldn't bother with 2 pairs of shoes, prob better is a fresh pair of socks half way around. Good luck.
In reply to petestack:

What about those 1000 milers with a double layer of material?

I just think I'd better get out there and practice!
 petestack 21 Mar 2010
> What about those 1000 milers with a double layer of material?

Comfy while they last, but not for 1000 miles despite what they say.

> I just think I'd better get out there and practice!

Can't do any harm! And I'd try to put all your chosen gear (shoe/sock combinations, clothing, food etc.) to the test over at least half-distance sometime to give yourself the best chance of ironing out unsuspected problems.

Brass Nipples 21 Mar 2010

Road running trainers with good cushioning should be perfect for you. South Downs will be quite firm underfoot.
In reply to petestack:

Thanks everyone.

"Trust in God and check everything else" a wise man was once heard to say.

RPG
 HikerPunk 23 Mar 2010
I did this event in 08, and just had the 1 pair of trail shoes, which did me ok, but i wouldnt have minded another pair to swap for the last 40km or so.

couple of my team mates switched to actual boots for the overnight section, which worked for them-they said they felt happier in em overnight (esp in the low hours-01:30/02:00 to approx 06:00/06:30 which was when it never seemed to end!).

We got lucky, 1 member of our support crew was a trained massuese(sp?) and did our feet for us every 40km or so, which was a mega bonus like.

Good luck!! We did it in 25:44:44 with an 06:00 KO time...
ice.solo 23 Mar 2010

if you are that into it - a pair of endurance running shoes, something like TNF rucky chuckys or whatever.

100ks aint that far from the perspective of a trail shoe (lots of normal people run 50k weeks), so as long as its got some structure and decent tread it will do.

why not get something like an endurance shoe? ya never know, you may start doing this kinda thing regularly. a lot to be said for it and good shoes are important.
KA 23 Mar 2010
I wear Salomon XA pro 3D ultra GTX, have never had blisters (do off road events up to 50 miles). If it's wet, I wear Sealskinz socks - warm, dry, toasty feet.
 andyd1970 23 Mar 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert: Trail shoes also put some vaseline on your feet as this will cut down on the friction massively. Obviously if you gonna tape and plaster them up put the vaseline on last
Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...