UKC

NEWS: Adam Lincoln Gets Gigantic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Mar 2010
[Adam Lincoln, 2 kb]Adam Lincoln has repeated Gigantic (E8 6c) in the Lancashire quarry of Wilton 1.

Adam repeated the route after abseil inspection and cleaning, but without top-rope practice.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=52556
 biscuit 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Not just a boulderer and sport climber then ;0)

Amazing stuff. Sounds well scary.

Good effort to Pete as well for trying the ground up.
 biscuit 24 Mar 2010
In reply to biscuit:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Not just a boulderer and sport climber then ;0)
>
> Amazing stuff. Sounds well scary.
>
> Good effort to Pete as well for trying the ground up.

Replying to myself but surely that means he's done the 3 8's now ?

So extra congrats from me.
J1234 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: Good effort I bet he`s really chuffed. I believe Gaz Parry has set the definitive style for this route, I hope Adam did it in similair fashion.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to J1234:
> (In reply to UKC News) Good effort I bet he`s really chuffed. I believe Gaz Parry has set the definitive style for this route, I hope Adam did it in similair fashion.

Thanks, yes that is the 3 9's now.

I presume you mean Gaz's hair in the pic

duncan 24 Mar 2010
In reply to biscuit:

> Replying to myself but surely that means he's done the 3 8's now ?

Still has the 8000m peak and the Scottish VIII to do though!

Adam, shamefully for a music nerd, I got my 80s bands mixed-up: youtube.com/watch?v=LK0CJqMK6f0&

BlownAway 24 Mar 2010
In reply to J1234:
> (In reply to UKC News) Good effort I bet he`s really chuffed. I believe Gaz Parry has set the definitive style for this route, I hope Adam did it in similair fashion.

I just uploaded a shot of Triffid Wall/Gigantic to my photo gallery.

When the mods have OK'd it, check it out - *that's* style (or it was in the 80's!)

Adam - good effort lad.

Phil
 Paul Crusher R 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: Nice one Adam.
Not meaning to spit on your fire, but hasnt gigantic always been a 7? When did it become 8? Flippin rockfax. The description for chocolate girl is a bit off as well i think (well way off). 4 pegs? more like 2 unusables and the crack is a piece of piss, getting to it is the hard bit.
Not that any of this matters, its the quality that counts.
Camdaz 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: Well done Adam, can't wait to get up that route bit more training needed yet though, i keep looking at it every time i go in w1, 1 day i hope pal, im wrestling with constables at the mo got my ass wooped on the last two moves, bit green at top. just waiting for weather again now, Super work dude stay safe, Regards.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Paul R:
> (In reply to UKC News) Nice one Adam.
> Not meaning to spit on your fire, but hasnt gigantic always been a 7? When did it become 8? Flippin rockfax.

E8 in the newish Lancs guide. Also E8 on the gritlist, http://gritlist.wetpaint.com/page/E8+Lancashire.

Who knows, grades eh! Top climb either way. Get to it Paul. Need a belay and beta give is a shout.

In reply to Adam Lincoln: Really, well im obviously just not with the times anymore lol. Yeh id be interested to know which way you did the top moves.
 pigeonjim 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Good effort. Esp getting back on after the rope slicing that might have been enough to send me home with my tail between my legs.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Paul R:
> Yeh id be interested to know which way you did the top moves.

Well, crux sequence.

***Beta spoiler alert!***

Left hand undercut, right hand smallish crimp.
Left foot on good edge out left. Right foot just next to it on smear. Balancey move up to slot with nut placement in with right hand.
Left hand into good crimp just left.
Left hand again to small crimp, right foot in hole.
Stand up all the way with right hand to wide pinch.
Left foot kicks round onto adrenaline ledge, left hand into crack on adrenaline, and shuffle very awkwardly into it. Feels scary this bit.

Pete has another sequence, but my way feels easier if it works for you.

Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to pigeonjim:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Good effort. Esp getting back on after the rope slicing that might have been enough to send me home with my tail between my legs.

Was only the sheath outer, would have taken a bit more to go through the core.
 pigeonjim 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
Cool
Well done
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Paul R:
> (In reply to UKC News) Nice one Adam.
> Not meaning to spit on your fire, but hasnt gigantic always been a 7? When did it become 8? Flippin rockfax. The description for chocolate girl is a bit off as well i think (well way off). 4 pegs? more like 2 unusables and the crack is a piece of piss, getting to it is the hard bit.
>

Thanks for that, comment added.

http://www.rockfax.com/databases/r.php?i=7095

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs: Very efficient.
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Touche on the beta. I wasnt sure i was doing (well not doing) the move to the pinch right, seems i was
 Chris F 24 Mar 2010
> (In reply to Paul R)
> [...]
>
> Well, crux sequence.
>
> ***Beta spoiler alert!***
>
> Left hand undercut, right hand smallish crimp.
> Left foot on good edge out left. Right foot just next to it on smear. Balancey move up to slot with nut placement in with right hand.
> Left hand into good crimp just left.
> Left hand again to small crimp, right foot in hole.
> Stand up all the way with right hand to wide pinch.
> Left foot kicks round onto adrenaline ledge, left hand into crack on adrenaline, and shuffle very awkwardly into it. Feels scary this bit.

You just ruined my onsight you cock! :0)

Nice one Adam, good effort.
 Adam Ellwood 24 Mar 2010

good effort adam, on your successful attempt did you place the gear on the lead or was it already in?

Adders 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: well done Adam
 Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Adam Ellwood:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
>
> good effort adam, on your successful attempt did you place the gear on the lead or was it already in?

All in-situ pegs, which we just left the draws on each time. Plus the wire was left in each time. We off course pulled the rope each time, leading the climb in full.

Would be a good effort putting the gear in every time.

Adam Ellwood 24 Mar 2010

What sport grade would you give it?
 Ramon Marin 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

bloody good effort adam!
 Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Adam Ellwood:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
>
> What sport grade would you give it?

Not sure. Was always supposed to be 8a/8a+. Maybe placing ALL gear on lead!
 Dave Parton 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Well done Adam.... I've often looked at this line although I could never imagine climbing it. Would you say now you have done it that you have climbed a 8a Sport route or an E8 Trad route ?
Camdaz 24 Mar 2010
In reply to DaveyP:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) Well done Adam.... I've often looked at this line although I could never imagine climbing it. Would you say now you have done it that you have climbed a 8a Sport route or an E8 Trad route ?

Surley you cant claim a trad route if you leave gear there, no disrespect to Adam i think its great hes climbed it, but my target is to get it from ground up with all gear placed on lead thats how i went for constables and thats how i aim to climb everything in wiltons, and the ones i dont get up with gear placed as i go, im obviously not ready for yet. Still though hats off to you Adam what ever the way its a ballsey route top job.
In reply to wilton warrior:

You'll find that all nearly almost all ground up ascents of hard trad routes the gear is not removed for the next attempt. This is an ideal that is simply impratical and would be rediculous if say each person wanted 5 attempts in the day.

It's a perfect world you're looking for there, but one which will lead to a lot less climbing actually achieved in life. You'll of course gain maximum respect and admiration from me if you do strip your hardest routes every time!

Nice Adam on your ascent.
In reply to UKC News: On your marks, get set, here we go.
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: I think peoples confusion comes from the fact that they dont realise/forget, E8 is for the onsight, ground up, no knowledge, balls out ascent. Doing an ascent of a route in any other style is your choice (ideally as a result of blowing the onsight) and only a comparison can be made to the E8 grade. Which is what Adam has done. Be true to oneself and ones goals, thats all that matters.
Camdaz 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:
> (In reply to wilton warrior)
>
> You'll find that all nearly almost all ground up ascents of hard trad routes the gear is not removed for the next attempt. This is an ideal that is simply impratical and would be rediculous if say each person wanted 5 attempts in the day.
>
> It's a perfect world you're looking for there, but one which will lead to a lot less climbing actually achieved in life. You'll of course gain maximum respect and admiration from me if you do strip your hardest routes every time!
>
> Nice Adam on your ascent.

I totaly agree with you on this i dont hold argumeant for how others climb its just something i do myself, (slow process for me) but i work hard at it to reach my goals, 3 attempts then home until next time is a rule i stick by. Maybe when i reach these levels i will prob do the same maybe.

Chris the Tall 24 Mar 2010
 Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to DaveyP:
> Would you say now you have done it that you have climbed a 8a Sport route or an E8 Trad route ?

As the pegs held, probably a sport route. If they had failed, an E8

Neil Conway 24 Mar 2010

Well done Adam!
 tomski3 24 Mar 2010

A bit like Schroedinger's cat then?
 gaz parry 24 Mar 2010
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Nice one Adam, about time it got another ascent. Have you had a look at Toxic?
 Adam Lincoln 24 Mar 2010
In reply to gaz parry:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) Nice one Adam, about time it got another ascent. Have you had a look at Toxic?

Tried it years ago, but didn't fancy sticking my neck out. Might try it again soon. More interested in the Darwen Weasel. The route, not Ian
 gaz parry 25 Mar 2010
In reply to Adam Lincoln: ohhhhhh yeah cool.
 Iain McKenzie 31 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: Good effort!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...