UKC

England vs Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marc C 01 Sep 2001
It's the big football match later today. Just thinking who would win if it was a climbing competition between England and Germany. And who would the teams be if it was, say, 3-a-side ?
Kev Wynne 01 Sep 2001
In reply to Marc C:
Bouldering or Leading?
 Chris Fryer 01 Sep 2001
In reply to Marc C: Hubers are German, so that would probably take place of first and second, though Steve McClure might give them a bit of a run for their money. Isnt there that German bird Marietta Uhde or something, who has climbed 8c, who may prove hard to beat.
OP Marc C 01 Sep 2001
In reply to Kev Wynne: Well, how about a boulder-off in place of a penalty shoot-out; otherwise leading.

Not that clear about whether some climbers are Austrian or German - Glowacz ? Willenberg ? Of course, being born in Germany myself I would expect approaches from both sides.
GFoz 01 Sep 2001
In reply to Marc C:

Hmmm..... Scotland vs England could be an interesting one.

Bouldering - I think Malcolm Smith wins hands down. 1-0 Scotland.
Mountain Rock - Interesting head to head between MacLeod and Dunne though Dunne won the last round on Arran. 1-1
Headpointed crag routes - Again, good showing form Macleoad but with strength in depth probably goes to the spawn of Albion. 1-2

Winter, despite constant whining to the referee , Gresham is ruled offside and with no opposition the massed ranks of hairy Scots bampots win easily. 2-2

So it goes down to a tie-breaker with an actual game of football. Given that our last game (Wembley 1998)we won 1-0, it seems likely the Scots boys would romp it.

Hurrah !!

G
 sutty 01 Sep 2001
In reply to GFoz: Bags I am route setter/chooser. OK let me have 5 routes of different types that we can win on or at least compete on. It will have to be British as we don't have enough Ice routes to pick from in England.
GFoz 01 Sep 2001
In reply to sutty:

look mate, in case you ahdn't noticed this was a bit of a tongue in cheek thing. Chill.
 Jamie B 01 Sep 2001
In reply to Marc C:

The climbing competition between Germany and England would undoubtedly go to the wire with a boulder-off being required to seperate the two sides. Amid scenes of unbearable tension you can almost gauruntee that Steve McLure (or some other Gareth Southgate of rock) will unaccountably skid off a V1 slab problem and hand victory to Jerry on a plate. Meanwhile north of the border an entire nation will piss itself laughing (again).

JAMIE B.
 sutty 01 Sep 2001
In reply to GFoz: I know it is tongue in cheek, that is why I gave you the chance of suggesting some of your wee crags for us sassenachs to try to climb. Chill, well I have a nice dry wine if you wish to share it, come on down and let us see if we need another bottle.
Please don't laugh if England lose, they are trying, very.
 Ropeboy 01 Sep 2001
In reply to Marc C:

Ah yes, but what about England vs Greece? Pios tha nikisi? Ego nomizo pos tha nikisi i Anglia, ala tha itane poli asteio ama nikisi i Ellatha!

It's all greek to me.
Kev Wynne 01 Sep 2001
In reply to Jamie B:
What I want to know is - what is Jerry doing climbing for the Germans? Surely him and his mate Ben would be on our side?
 Ropeboy 02 Sep 2001
In reply to Ropeboy: Entaxi, ena mithen, pois tha to perimene?
Al Evans 02 Sep 2001
In reply to Ropeboy: Hasn't anybody clocked it that we beat the b*****ds 5-1. Lets have a bit of jingoistic celebration here.
" One Michael Owen, theres only one Michael Owen" etc etc
Al Evans 02 Sep 2001
In reply to Al Evans: I know, I know, Brian and his slug have started a new thread dedicated to this, sorry I hadnt read it!
 Chris Fryer 02 Sep 2001
In reply to Ropeboy: Dont be a smartarse!
OP Marc C 02 Sep 2001
In reply to Jamie B: 5-1 !!???????? Is it all just a dream ?
Please someone out there. Confirm that it really happened. I haven't experienced thius combination of ecstasy (no, not the drug) and disbelief since I topped out on my top secret project after trying it for 15 years. 5-1 ??? I'm so happy the drinks are on me. Hey, I'll even take Gruff up on his offer of a night out !
Gruff 03 Sep 2001
In reply to Marc C:

WOOOO HOOOOO!

I'm in!

g
 Ropeboy 03 Sep 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:
Sorry, sheya, just wondering why MarcC hasn't responded?
OP Marc C 03 Sep 2001
In reply to Ropeboy: Forget the Greeks for the time being - we've got to get past the Albanians yet (and you know how things work - you've just climbed the hardest route in your life, then you go and blow it on a 'mere' VDiff chimney). BTW I say 'we' (referring to the English), because I support England in most sporting encounters (though I've never really taken to 'our' rugby union and cricket sides), and generally support 'Britain' against other nations in sporting events (including supporting the Scots). My Dad's a Cypriot (so the chances of England playing Cyprus in a fiercely-contested world cup qualifier are rather slim, and in any case I'd still go for England). My prediction; England will beat the Albanians AND the Greeks - and qualify. However, I'm not going to get too carried away. I was in South Korea a few weeks ago - and it was very hot and humid (so can't see a European side winning it).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...