UKC

The Outdoor Show 2010

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
For anyone considering going to The Outdoor Show at the NEC I went up today as part of work and I would most certainly would not have bothered going inm y own time and would have been very angry if I had bought a ticket.

The show was the smallest it has ever been and with the exception of a few climbing walls and a dry surfing rink there is absolutely nothing to do and the range/quality of the stands is poor.

Why did the Inland Revenue and N Power have stands there? What have they got to do with The Outdoor Show.

The lectures are in a corner of the hall with a very small (3ft) picket fence around them with a very poor PA system, tried to listen to a Simon King presentation but really hard to hear what he was saying over the noise from the show itself.

And the food was very bad

Just my thoughts, I am sure some people will have found it great
 agibb 26 Mar 2010
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

I had a great time. Never been before. Got loads of cheap geat from DMM. Had a go on the fake ice climbing. Watched McLure setting the skymasters.

There were tons of stalls that didn't really appeal to me - I walked past them and looked at other stuff. I don't know what Bowmore was supposed to have to do with the outdoors, but they gave me some free whiskey so I'm glad they were there.

All in all I'm glad I went. Just like Glastonbury and coal mining, I'm sure it was better in the old days, but for a first timer I had a great, full day.
 Big Steve 26 Mar 2010
In reply to agibb: what do dmm have on offer this year?
 richprideaux 26 Mar 2010
In reply to Big Steve:

Cheap nuts, cams and krabs plus slings and ropes too. Lots of'Five for £x' type offers on nuts, cams and krabs. £150 got me three 4CUs, a full set of offsets, five screwgates and a revolver screwgate.

The rest of the show was a bit bobbins, i agree that it would be even worse if you had paid for a ticket. Still interesting though...
 richprideaux 26 Mar 2010
In reply to shingsowa:

Also, why do people go there dressed as if they are off for a day on the hill? Saw one guy in a montane windproof, ronhills and inov8s wandering around...
 agibb 28 Mar 2010
In reply to Big Steve:

Yup, like the reply you got more quickly than mine. Lots of draws, krabs and slings. Lots of 4cus. Not many 3cus. Offsets and wallnuts were the only pro' on cheap. Bandoliers for a tenner, bouldering mats for a ton. And loads of single ropes. There was only one half left at about 3pm on Friday, you'll be very lucky if it's still there. At a guess they had another 50 single ropes on the cheap. Mostly 50-60m, a few 30s.

Good luck if you decide to go!
 RichJ634 28 Mar 2010
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: I agree. Leo Houlding was fantastic and Ben Fogle and James Cracknell weren't bad but most stands were dire. DMM was good and the MRT stand was cool too. Other than that there were a lot of irrelevant stalls, many of which were dull. Many many many stalls advertising destinations. It would have been better to have more of the activities show-cased. Also stuff for sale was limited. Montane, DMM, Keela and "the gear shop" were all ok but that was it. Sky-masters was good to watch though and I'm still glad I went!
 richardhopton 28 Mar 2010

My favourite was the Morocco stand!! One guy, one chair, one table and 10 brochures! I dont think he could of made it more clear that he didnt want to be there and was probably made to go by his boss!

Not one scrap of info, picture or climbing related bumf on Todra nor any where else for that matter. Strange also that the Greece stand had a mini climbing tower and two guys sitting at a table with a greek flag, not a scrap of info on Kalymnos, not a half price guide in site.Complete shambles...again!
 Jaffacake 28 Mar 2010

It seems to have been getting smaller and smaller for years. Speaking to paddling shops before they said it's just too expensive to go be an exhibitor now, especially if you're a shop and so want a big stand to display your products. There wasn't a great deal of shops selling things, probably more stands of companies trying to sell you an adventure holiday!

Was disappointed alpkit weren't there too.

Definitely wouldn't pay to go, I'm sure when I first went a few years ago it was about 3 times the size and had a lot more interesting things going on.
 jmarshall 28 Mar 2010
this year was the first year i went and as you have all said there where a lot of people trying to get you to go to places i.e. yorkshire and cyprus to name but two and not a lot of shops. the only good stall was dmm and i would think twice before going next year.
 jmarshall 28 Mar 2010
In reply to shingsowa:
I thought the same thing.
 Big Steve 28 Mar 2010
In reply to jmarshall: yep, i agree with all the comments here. Overall, I think it was a waste of money. I wont be going again. Leo's talk was great, shame I couldn't hear a lot due to all the outside noise.
I did get to meet Lucy Creamer though, which was a highpoint
ridgback 28 Mar 2010
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: Me, wife and 2 kids went today. It was first Outdoor Show and probably our last.

I was really disappointed with the show itself, I expected something bigger even allowing for a slow wander round we had done the lot in under 90 minutes (which p****d me off considering it cost £8 for parking!!.

DMM stand was OK, Gear Zone pretty good with some decent bargains to be had. Most stands however were of the "destination" variety, and has been mentioned a lot of them seemed to be staffed by folk who wanted to be elsewhere.

Such a shame as I had been looking forward to attending, can't see me going again unless there is an improvement.
 JayK 28 Mar 2010

Ha, the weather was so good as well, probably should have gone 'Outdoors' instead!
SATNAV.. 28 Mar 2010
In reply to Jay_Kay: my thoughts exactly. I ended up buying a nutting tool for the scouts. only went this year to see if they had the dragons on sale at the DMM stand, but I got there only to find them not selling them. I got to have ago at placing one.

regarding the show, it was not very good at all. at the rate its getting smaller next year there will only be 1 hall.

also to the folk who post on here from DMM: I have no problem with any of your products as they are fine however, I was disgusted at how your staff on the stand treated a group of scouts who had brought a great deal of things from you.
 Reidy 28 Mar 2010
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: been a few years running I thought it was small last year and wasn't expecting much this year, it wasn't a good sign the only shop selling climbing gear was DMM.

But I did pick up some of the montane trousers in aid of MRT which are ace
 Trefo 28 Mar 2010
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: What did the DMM staff do to the scouts?Maybe they were Catholic Priests in disguise!
SATNAV.. 28 Mar 2010
In reply to Trefo: they needed a third nut key and were 3 quid short. but instead of saying sorry mate your 3 quid down they got, you aint having that cus you aint got enough money. wouldn't have minded but the keys they picked up were in a right shit state. just some arse hole jobs worth. my problem wasnt with the fact they aint got enough money it was how they were told
 DreadyCraig 29 Mar 2010
In reply to SATNAV..:
I had a completely different experience with the staff on the DMM stall.
I had looked at the belay master karabiner for £6 earlier in the day but it was really busy so went back later, the price had gone up to £10, I asked the guy if that was right, he said that the cheaper ones where the old style and they had sold out, the £10 ones where the new i-beam version. He then said he would sell it to me for £6. Such good service will make me buy more of their products in the future.
 Weedyskid 29 Mar 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig: I went, and was sadly dissapointed at the lack of stands, more food sellers, tourist boards and uni's than anything else. as for the DMM stand I stood and listened to one of thier bods, and they were very nice to the couple they were talking to, (sounded like they had just started out and were buying a first rack,) the bod from DMM was very helpful and offered some good advice and pointers.

The only good thing I found was watching the sky masters and most of the climbers taking the time to sit in the crowd and watch the other climbers, and have a chat with younger climbers about stuff in general. (Gaz Parry took a good time to talk to a few people in between rounds)
 DreadyCraig 29 Mar 2010
In reply to Mark bond:
Yeah, like most other on here I thought the show as a whole wasn't as good as hoped.
The best part for me was winning a climbing masterclass with Gaz Parry. He is a top bloke! he was very patient with me being a rubbish climber. I got to have a go on the Skymasters wall too I didn't get past the first hanging feature though.
Anyone know what the result of the Sklymasters was?
RockandRapid 29 Mar 2010
I have heard a rumour that the show is joinging up with the boat show in London next year. I have been going to the show for the past 8 years and I thought last year was bad, but this year managed to beat it.

I cant see it working by 'bolting' it on to the last 3 days of the London boat show.
Paul F 29 Mar 2010
In reply to RockandRapid:

As i understand it the people that do the Boat show and Caravan and Camping show have bought the rights to The Outdoor show.They will combine all the events into one really large show, and It is still undecided to where the event will be held, London or NEC.
 gear boy 29 Mar 2010
In reply to RockandRapid: you are right, it is being moved to london to join in with the boat and bike show which is in january, I spotted the news on outdoorsmagic
BigJames 29 Mar 2010

Was going to attend this, but at the last minute decided not to, glad I didn't now!
 Julie Z 29 Mar 2010
In reply to Paul F: The Outdoors Show is independently owned. The 2011 Show will be held at ExCel in London at the same time as the new London Bike Show and the last four days of the London International Boat Show.
 Dingleberry 29 Mar 2010

I have been offered free tickets but would rather watch grass grow or paint dry.
After last years rubbish show and the year before that I haved vowed never to bother again.

Bob
Chrisg3000 29 Mar 2010
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: I cannot believe that there wasn't a single stand selling an item of mountain bike equipment. All I wanted to purchase this year was a new pair of MTB shoes, and thought I might get a bargain pair of shoes at a show price, and a pair of the waterproof Alpkit jeans....What did I end up buying.....4 pairs of boxers shorts for a tenner from a stall I presume does Thursday morning markets somewhere! I paid to see James Cracknell, and all I got over and above the people standing at the picket fence for free, was a seat, and a free out of date calendar! And yes I also had paid for a ticket to get in the venue, and oh yes, paid for the car parking.

The event was shocking, over-priced, unprofessional, poorly supported by the trade, and lacking generally.

For anyone thinking of going next year...ask yourself....if this is the premier outdoor show why does it not get support from Ordnance Survey, Berghaus, Northface, Lowe Alpine, Haglofs, a single mountain bike company...the list goes on...

Oh and I didn't mention Trilive 2010, but that's because it just doesn't warrant a mention. Three stands selling road bikes and tri-suits does not constitute an event!
Simon Marsh 29 Mar 2010
In reply to SATNAV..:
> (In reply to Trefo) they needed a third nut key and were 3 quid short. but instead of saying sorry mate your 3 quid down they got, you aint having that cus you aint got enough money. wouldn't have minded but the keys they picked up were in a right shit state. just some arse hole jobs worth. my problem wasnt with the fact they aint got enough money it was how they were told

Satnav,

I normally take all complaints pretty seriously, but I am afraid I just don't believe you.

I have no knowledge of the incident you mention, but I do know that we only took 50 Nutbuster nutkeys to the show and all were in perfect condition.

I also know all of the people on the stand and saw how they operated all weekend - we handed out a fair bit of free kit over the 3 days and I doubt if we would quibble over £3 with a customer who had spent a lot and certainly would not have been rude while doing it.

Case in point: We had a stash of free carabiners to give away to customers who spent a lot / were asking for discount with a good reason.

Above all "JobsWorths" wouldn't last very long at DMM and there certainly were not any on the DMM stand this weekend.

Regards

Simon

DMM
 richprideaux 29 Mar 2010
In reply to Simon Marsh:

Your staff member with glasses and dark hair was exceedingly helpful and cheerful...
 JWB 29 Mar 2010

My thoughts are similar to the previous about the show in general. Fortunately I got in free being a YHA lifer. If I had paid even £11 I would have felt as if I was ripped off. Also went on the train so didnt get ripped with the £8 car parking.

The DMM stand was excellent and the staff friendly and helpful with a real passion for the stuff they produce.

It was also interesting to see other sports such as water and Tri because you never know what kit you may see that will be useful.

The Satmap stand was good too.

I will not be going next year, unless it really changes.
 Bill Davidson 29 Mar 2010
In reply to Julie Z:
> (In reply to Paul F) The Outdoors Show is independently owned. The 2011 Show will be held at ExCel in London at the same time as the new London Bike Show and the last four days of the London International Boat Show.

Bloody know all!!!
 thebruce 29 Mar 2010
In reply to Simon Marsh:
I thought your team at DMM were very helpful. I went on Sunday and it was pretty clear people had been asking for discounts throughout the event. I purchased the £9 Nutbuster and thought that was a good price anyway (and in perfect condition). I thought the offers were great and went back to buy more! (wish i'd bought more quickdraws now as £30 for 5 proclip? quickdraws was a bargain!!) Well done for leading the way and exhibiting during these tough economic times.
 Julie Z 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Bill Davidson: Are you getting outdoors much these days or are you in between seasons in the thawing wastelands, so to speak? x
Paul F 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Julie Z:
> (In reply to Paul F) The Outdoors Show is independently owned. The 2011 Show will be held at ExCel in London at the same time as the new London Bike Show and the last four days of the London International Boat Show.

Like a man in orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected.
 Bill Davidson 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Julie Z:

Ha! Was at Berwick Law on Sat thugging my way up a short & brutal 7a Luckily though it wasn't K that had to belay me!!! First outdoorsy stuff this year & it was good You? S looked good at the weekend, saw the vids.
 Julie Z 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Paul F: Ah, this raises an interesting question. How does a person stand in MBTs?
Paul F 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Julie Z:

With a gentle rocking motion?
 Julie Z 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Bill Davidson: Wet...cold...perhaps the answer is in another country.

Good to know that you are 'warming up' for the season on the 7as!
 Bill Davidson 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Julie Z:

Ummmm, Just for clarity's sake I was really being pulled up on a top rope
But it was pretty fierce! And I will return on the lead
 DreadyCraig 03 Apr 2010
Out of interest, were DMM selling torque nuts at the show? I was gonna buy a set but didn't see any for sale. I was gutted, was tempted to get a second set of wallnuts at an incredible price instead, but the wife gave me a dirty look when I suggested it
 WBroughton 09 Apr 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig: They had some torque nuts to show off to people, but as they had just gone on sale in the retail world (Joe Browns etc) It would have been a bit harsh to sell them on the cheap!

I'll be waiting till January when the show moves to London ExCel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...