UKC

Slipstones, Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What time of year does the weather get decent at the slipstones in yorkshire?

Apologies, I don't know much about the area.

Im planning on buying a northern england guide as im going down to northallerton with the girlfriend at some point. Don't really have a date but would like to know when it would be a worthwhile trip?

I know everyones just gonna say summer but id like to get down pretty soon.?

Ta
 Dave Warburton 29 Mar 2010
In reply to Bleedingknuckles: It's an all year round crag. It's quick drying but can be pretty exposed if its windy - get there while it's still chilly.
Yrmenlaf 29 Mar 2010
In reply to Bleedingknuckles:

Like he said: I think that unless its actually raining, then there'll be something to keep you amused.

Y.

Slipstones is a South facing crag that suffers from little seepage. As long as the weather has been reasonably dry it will be ok.

Warburton is a seasoned climber from the 'Moors' and isn't that familiar with Gritstone climbing. However there are signs he is learning, in that it is a year round crag. But it can get a litte sweaty on a hot summers day.

Lots of info at http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/slipstones.html

Have fun and a pint of beer in Masham!
 sutty 29 Mar 2010
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

Highjack.

Heard your local is up for sale, and landlord is not happy.
In reply to sutty:
£350K I believe, not been in for yonks £3.20 for LL is too much!
I believe he's laeving at the end of the month, rumor.
It's all down to greed by Punch, high rents etc and them now being skint.
 Feeling bold 30 Mar 2010

I visited April last year and hit the first and best hot week of the year, IMO. Not even breezy. Good for soloing as I had no partner along and there was plenty to be had at the low end.

I going back again in a couple of weeks time with a belay bunny this time(can I call my son that?)
I also hope to check out Brimham as looks fab in the guide.
 sutty 30 Mar 2010

Yep, Mike at the travellers says the same. Been trying to get Punch to fix the kitchen since he went in just over a year ago with no luck, and although the beer is already the dearest near us Punch are sticking another 5p on a pint soon. If he leaves they will be left with a bare shell as he replaced all the fittings and carpets himself.
 Dave Warburton 30 Mar 2010
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Slipstones is a 'moors' crag...

The First Ascentionists are legends of these parts.
In reply to Everyone: Thanks very much guys. Its great how quickly people reply on these forums. Cant wait to get down like. Looks like theres some amazing fun to be had down there.

Thanks again

"But it can get a litte sweaty on a hot summers day."

This is something im looking forward to. Where im from theres no such thing as a hot summers day.

Andy S 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Bleedingknuckles: this time of year if you want clear blue sky and you're fine. Otherwise, it's bloody cold and a bit grim. Simple as that really.
In reply to Dave Warburton:

Since when was the area between Masham and Lofthouse (which is East of the A1) in the NYM national park?
It's int dales and it's Grit and it will be in the next YG guide (again).

jas wood 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Bleedingknuckles: dries really quickly so anytime of year is fine and now is best (but wet) is an awesome crag ! if you want to save money and aren't visiting again you can get limited info of yorkshiregrit.com or i'll send you a few scans if you want BUT north of england rockfax covers a lot of crags in area if you coming up again.
if your up there try brimham if you haven't been !.

jas
 Dave Warburton 30 Mar 2010
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Yeh this time it might be definitive too...
 jkarran 30 Mar 2010

It faces South so if it's cool and the sun's out you'll be fine. If it's still and the sun's out it can get too hot. It's 95% free of drainage and there's no green so it dries instantly. Basically you can climb year round.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...