UKC

Jetboil- Pros and cons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JBlackout 30 Mar 2010
Anyone got one? Whats it like? Any problems?
 Mark Stevenson 30 Mar 2010
In reply to JBlackout: Extremely good at what it does - boiling water quickly and efficiently. Very expensive especially with changes to the exchange rates over the last year or two.

I've heard of various scolding accidents as they are intrinsically unstable.
 graycj 30 Mar 2010
In reply to JBlackout:
Assuming you're talking about the personal cooking system, i got mine a couple months ago. used it extensively through winter and it works surprisingly well in cold weather, though it is quite unstable, so much so i always use a primus stand on it. it's fine for cooking for one person but would be pretty crap beyond that.
 Milesy 30 Mar 2010
Where is the fun if you are not hundled round some hex blocks with a gale force wind waiting an hour to have a pot noodle
 graycj 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Milesy:
You also don't get hexi TV with a jetboil. Or that lovely toxic smell...
 wilkie14c 30 Mar 2010
In reply to JBlackout:
Cons:
Size, a little bulky if you are on a space premium backpack/bivvy
The ignighter seems the only weak point although mine is several years old and hasn't broke yet. Replacements are from Lyon, 11 quid IIRC
You have to be a simple food person really, meals based on boiling water, not a problem with a little imagination.

Thats all the cons I've found over a few years use. Pros can go on and on, its a great, fast and effeciant boiler, you won't regret buying one if it ticks your boxes. They have just bought out a convertion kit now, saw it on sale in Outside the other week. 2 part kit, it comprises of a stablizer for the base and a jet spreader for the burner. Means you van use it with normal pans. cool! Plenty of threads on UKC about the JB, do a search, mainly good things said about them.
 wilkie14c 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Mark Stevenson:
Thats true but if the user knows this before hand it don't have to be a problem. It obviously needs to be on the flat but I try and slightly lean or wedge mine on a boulder etc just to keep it in position. once boiled, the trick is to pur the water without attempting to unscrew the burner. Do it as a whole with burner attached <but turned off!>
OP JBlackout 03 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout: Bump
 jas wood 03 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout: in my opinion it does exactly what it is designed to do ! heat water very quickly and provide a total solution for cooking simple food (only need a fork) without the need to carry pans etc. had mine a year or 2 and no probs at all.

can boil over easily though if not watched.

you'll not regret buying one especially if you aren't a fussy eater :O)
hotrocks 03 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout:
The only problems I have had are -

Managed to melt the bottom of the neoprene cover the second time I used it.

Decided to 'reheat' a cold cup of tea and was treated to a gushing display of scalding hot water and milk boiling over the top of the cup (I Know... I know!) but could not get my hand in to turn the burner of without scalding myself.

Other than that - would not be without it as it heats stuff real quick and is less faff that my MSR

For the price - very good - will probably buy the full cook set soon.

steveboote 03 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout: the larger Jetboil panset for 2/3 people is not that fast- a trangia converted to gas is quicker at boiling water outdoor as it's got more inherent wind shelter
phillipivan 07 Apr 2010
In reply to Dee:

I've had a number of realibility issues with mine (in the space of four months):
The lighter is so fragile it is as good as worthless.

The burner element has taken some damage.

Both of the above occured in normal tranist either hiking, flying or in the back of a car.

Just returned from a trip where it wouldnt light. Open the valve and no gas comes out. Unscrew the burner and the can does not self-seal and spews gas everywhere. I am not sure if this fault was the fault of the Jetboil though.

Whilst the Jetboil does what it does well: compact, fuel efficient, fast, my experiences with the build quality leave me with reservations about its quality that will ensure it never comes on another serious trip with me.
ollie211 07 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout: i have had my personal cooking one for about 4 years now and my group cooking pot thing for about 2. excellent bit of kit both of them.
easy to use
not bulky (if on about the personal one)
if on my own i only take the PCS and it does everything for me

only problem i have (and it can be a real pain) is the self lighting system thing keeps getting knocked about and breaking so i suggest carrying a lighter or some matches to light it with incase this happens
 oliwarlow 07 Apr 2010
In reply to ollie211: A way of solving some of the accidental damage to the ignition unit that can occur in transit (due to things bouncing up and down inside), is to cut out a piece of sponge and wedge stick it in the top. This means when everything is inside (gas, burner and sponge), it is all held securely without bouncing around. Also you have something to clean it with! Thanks to 'Woodie' for this tip..
 Sharp 07 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout: Used one belonging to a friend of mine on various trips and been very impressed. If I was doing a lot of cooking on a long trip then I'd prefer a proper pot as it would be easier to clean but for a party of 2-3 if someone has a jet boil it's like bringing along a kettle. So much easier and quicker to brew up.
In terms of instability I think it's much better than your standard gas burner with a pot because you just hold it, it doesn't take long. Is by no means as quick as jet boil say but it is certainly amongst the quickest.
I was camping without my friend last weekend just using my svea and I really missed the jet boil.
Ben
ollie211 07 Apr 2010
In reply to oliwarlow: thanks for the tip.....simple but effective
 mikehike 07 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout:

Expensive
Bulky compared with a MSR Ti-Kettle that’s used for stowage of gas/lighter/burner/sponge.
Heavy
If you get the pan which has plastic plate pushed onto its base, remember to remove it before butting onto the heat. (my mate didn’t .

If your a car camper that likes convenience then ideal.

mh
 mikehike 07 Apr 2010
 MRJ 07 Apr 2010
In reply to JBlackout:
I reckon they're pretty much the awesome. You won't be getting any gore-may meals out of one but they boil fast and without using much fuel. The igniter is rubbish, though. I used one of those fire steal things which worked very well. I've cooked well over a hundred meals with it.
 wilkie14c 07 Apr 2010
In reply to MRJ:
I'm the same, love mine and still on the original lighter. I'm a smoker so generally have a light anyway so not worried. Recon mines 4 years old. Another con I've failed mention. When you've had a brew, you pop the canister and burner inside the pot to pack away, the sight bit of water at the bottom of the pot rusts the rim of the canister leaving rust stains inside the pot. Every few trips I clean mine up with a brillo or other such wire wool.
It always comes down to the same conclusion no matter how many times the jetboil pops up here. conclusions are:
Jet boil:
stability, cost, pezio lighter. Very frugal on fuel and very fast. Perfect for car camping and cragging.
MSR pocket rocket and Ti kettle:
Cost again, stability again but not as much as the JB, needs lighter.
Quite frugal, quite fast but with its compactness and weight <or lack of> perfect for anything lightweight - bivvy, winter climbing, backpacking etc
The Primus express spider looks interesting though, it has a remote canister and pre-heating tube. The screw where the pipe goes on the can looks too high to me though when compared with the MSR arrangement....
Need to get a life, I like stoves just for the sake of them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...