UKC

recommend me a lightweight approach shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 12 Apr 2010
Hi my old salamon's have finally died after 3 years of faithful service and I am looking to replace them with something a bit more lightweight. I'm looking for something that will see me to bottom of multi-pitch climbs around the world, not bothered about wet feet.

Any suggestions? What do people think of the Inov-8 shoes?

Thanks

G
 just 12 Apr 2010
In reply to gcandlin: 5.10 guide you could probably climb the routes in them to.
inov8 330's are great however they wear out quick.
Very light and very comfy
 muttley_109 12 Apr 2010
In reply to gcandlin:

I have a pair or Inov8 roclite 370 boots. They weigh next to nothing and are probably the most comfy shoes i've owned, fairly decent ankle support and the grip is excellent.

Saying that though they do seem to wear pretty quickly especially if you wear them in town on pavements etc. They are also a warmer weather shoe as they are mostly mesh so are cold and let all water in, but also let all waer out and dry very quickly
 mike123 12 Apr 2010
In reply to gcandlin: buy another pair of salomons. full stop. for several years i wore 5.10 s but got sick of them falling apart and the sticky soles wearing out really quickly, they look pretty , make a life style statement,(not saying this is right or wrong), and do the job very well they jsut dont hold up to hard extended use. i ve had several pairs of scarpa shoes that have lasted last well but the light weight ones are pants. my current pub shoes are heliums, they are really light, look nice and are comfy, but all they ve been used for is going to the pub and walking the kids up the cycle track and they ve already started to fall apart . i reckon that this summers cragging, which will be fairly limited (2/3 times a week), will kill them. i also have a cheap pair of salomon something or others , they were less than £30 about 4 years ago, are grey and ugly. i got them for none steely building work/gardening / maintenance but have used them for everything. they have been virtually indistrucable, the uppers have just about had it and i want another pair. they have a none branded sole which just goes on and on. cant comment personally on inov8s but lots of friends fell run in them, including someone who is a bit good, and swear by them, most say (as above) that they wear out quick, so imho that means that they d make rubbish approach shoes unless cost isnt an issue .
ice.solo 13 Apr 2010
In reply to gcandlin:

la sportiva crosslights. super light mountain running shoe with incredible grips for steep trails and wonderfully comfortable.

innov-8 do similar shoes, tho the sportivas are much better made - you can tell they make climbing shoes.
 SuperstarDJ 13 Apr 2010
In reply to gcandlin:

I'm really pleased with my 5.10 Camp 4's as recommended on here to me by various people.
 jezb1 13 Apr 2010
In reply to gcandlin: Really like my scarpa quests, handy for low grade climbing and v comfortable, but I'll be luck if I get 12 months out of a pair. The sole rubber is v thin so wears extremely quickly.

I moaned to the shop I bought them from and got a free replacement pair.
 crabduck 13 Apr 2010
In reply to jezb1:
> ...I'll be luck if I get 12 months out of a pair.

I found this to, I loved mine but they wore out far too quickly - great for wandering up and down things (soon learnt from the the rookie mistake of wearing them and trying to go down a wet grass slope) but the sole was worn through in multiple places within eight months.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...