UKC

Dave Macleod and Tim Emmet in Live Televised Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby S 17 Apr 2010
This looks good:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8625352.stm

Tim Emmett and Dave Macleod are to climb a route on Sron Ulladale on the Isle of Harris in August and the whole lot is being filmed live. Weather permitting of course!
In reply to Toby S: SAWEEEEEET! this is awesome!!
OP Toby S 17 Apr 2010
In reply to dunkymonkey17:

A wee bit more info on his blog too - he's not giving much away though!

http://davemacleod.blogspot.com/2010/04/rockcast-2010.html#comments

It's a fantastic place.
Paul035 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Toby S:

Brilliant. Top level climbing in a stunning part of the world.

However I just hope they have a contingency plan this time... rain and dodgy weather in the Outer Hebrides in August is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Film them climbing routes in the couple of weeks prior to the main event so that if it is rained off there is still something to show.

I still remember the feeling of disappointment and anti-climax when tuning into The Great Climb in 07, "Sorry its too wet, thanks for tuning in, thats all folks!!"
 Atticus Finch 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Toby S: So will it not be televised in England? :s
 dave o 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Paul035:

reckon the main part of the sron is pretty much perma dry, so a good choice for such a production.. certainly better than shelterstone!!
OP Toby S 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Atticus Finch:
> (In reply to Toby S) So will it not be televised in England? :s

You'll be able to get it if you have Sky.
 Dom Whillans 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Toby S:

BBC HD also available on Freesat and Freeview too. fingers crossed for I-Player repeatage
 Adam Long 18 Apr 2010
In reply to dave o:
> (In reply to Paul035)
>
> reckon the main part of the sron is pretty much perma dry, so a good choice for such a production.. certainly better than shelterstone!!

Ha! You've obviously not been there during a front!
 john arran 18 Apr 2010
In reply to Adam Long:

I was there one time in summer, trying what could well be the same route as DM and TE will be trying. Even though it only rained half the time, at other times the wind was so strong and so cold that climbing was really miserable. After a few short hardish pitches we abandoned the idea and sought refuge, both from the weather and from the route itself, which looked nails above!
 Adam Long 18 Apr 2010
In reply to john arran:

Yeah, in over a month spent out there in total I can still count the calm days on my thumbs! Fantastic crag though, I really hope they get the weather. Then there'll just be the midges to contend with...
OP Toby S 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Dom Whillans:

From his blog:

What if I can’t get BBC2 Scotland, can I still watch it?

Yes, it will be streamed live on the BBC website, and shown on the BBC HD channel too. Not doubt there will be plenty of other methods to tune in besides - more on this as I get the information from the BBC.
wcdave 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Toby S: Should make for riveting tv.
 Tom Briggs 19 Apr 2010
In reply to john arran:

There's the old aid line, the Nose but there's also a very obvious series of corners left of the Chisel with a possible weakness getting through the roofs to access them. I remember looking at this from the Chisel and thinking it was an incredible line if there are cracks in the back of those corners.
 Dave MacLeod 19 Apr 2010
In reply to john arran:
> (In reply to Adam Long)
>
> I was there one time in summer, trying what could well be the same route as DM and TE will be trying. Even though it only rained half the time, at other times the wind was so strong and so cold that climbing was really miserable. After a few short hardish pitches we abandoned the idea and sought refuge, both from the weather and from the route itself, which looked nails above!

If it was the route you tried with Shane, that wouldn't be my first choice. But it's open until the eagle chicks fly. Glad it's not just me that gets cold on mountain crags.
OP Toby S 19 Apr 2010
In reply to wcdave:
> (In reply to Toby S) Should make for riveting tv.

Are you implying they'll be using less than sporting ethics?
 Lawrie Brand 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Toby S:

This will be awesome, and full marks to the BBC for taking a risk after getting washed out on The Big Climb. Though maybe May/June would be drier and more reliable weather wise?

Good luck to all involved, looking forward to it!
 J Brown 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Toby S:

Excellent - will look forward to this, fingers crossed for good conditions! Good luck to all involved.
 Dave MacLeod 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Lawrie Brand:
>
> This will be awesome, and full marks to the BBC for taking a risk after getting washed out on The Big Climb. Though maybe May/June would be drier and more reliable weather wise?

The cliff is out of bounds during those months due to nesting eagles.
In reply to Dave MacLeod: Good luck with the venture. Can I suggest that when you manage to complete a route can you either call it

1. "I have no idea what grade it is"

or

2. "grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat"

Lawrie Brand 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Dave MacLeod:

Ahh, pesky birds, how selfish of them! Good luck!
OP Toby S 19 Apr 2010
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

I think a Gaelic name would more appropriate, something like: "Pogue ma thoin Hearach ceann bod"
In reply to Toby S: is that gaelic for grumpy? Shirley not!
 Yanis Nayu 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Dave MacLeod:
> (In reply to john arran)
> [...]
>
Glad it's not just me that gets cold on mountain crags.

You need to get some meat on you!

lynx3555 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Dave MacLeod: "The cliff is out of bounds during those months due to nesting eagles." .....Quit right too....look forward to watching it, just hope it's not while I'm offshore as no one lets me watch climbing on the TV...Friggin' footie and Grand Prix only!!!
 chris fox 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Toby S:

Lets hope Tim doesn't BASE jump and do this again ........

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawk_man/397472818/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...