UKC

Easiest mountain marathon event?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm thinking about doing my first mountain marathon event, perhaps next year. Which is the easiest category of the easiest event in the UK? Saunders, OMM, Highlander, etc?

At the moment I can happily run 15 miles on trails carrying a very light pack, but I haven't done much running away from footpaths, haven't run big hills in the Lakes/Snowdonia/Scotland, not used to carrying a heavier pack with tent & sleeping bag, I'm a novice at navigation, and I haven't done 2 days of hard running in a row...

My preference would be to start off with something that is within my comfort zone, and hopefully really enjoy it, then build up to harder events in the future.

Many thanks
 bobert 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: The Saunders is probably the most user friendly of the 3 you mentioned due to time of year. The milk and beer at halfway camp is always a winner too. There is also the pheonix O event though i have never done this but supposed to be a good one to cut your teeth on. If you are managing 15 mile trail runs ok just get stuck in to one of the longer classes. Most of the time you'll be walking the ups and jogging the flats and downs. Plus don't train too much with a heavy pack, unless the knees are no issue. longer days out walking/jogging on the fells will see you right.
 Steve Perry 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: There'll be one here suits you Nick;

http://www.sportident.co.uk/future_events.php

johnSD 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Don't set your sights too low, unless you aim to be really competitive and go for a podium place (if that doesn't sound like a contradiction...).

It sounds like you are pretty fit, so if you enter a short class and finish day 1 in a good time then you run the risk of spending 16-20 hours at midcamp, which can be pretty dull... You might be better entering a B class in whichever event, enjoy it, and use that as a taster and a gauge for what you want to do with the next one.
 Banned User 77 17 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: There's not that much running in mountain marathons especially those which require you to carry a pack. EVen in the long fell races almost all hills are walked by anyone not in the front. I'm normally towards the front and rather embarrasingly actually have bald spots on my legs where my hands are planted for hours a week when I'm walking up hills...so I'm clearly more of a fell walker than fell runner.

I'd go for the one day events first to get used to the nav, and probably the saunders or the Rab, which seem more low key events. We started with the OMMM years ago and were just turned off by the crowds and hype.

Choss Weasel 17 Apr 2010
In reply to IainRUK: Sorry to highjack the thread but I've been wanting to try fell-running for years. How long should I be able to run for on roads before I enter a fell race?
 Milesy 17 Apr 2010
Try the stuc a chroin 5k

http://www.stucachroin5000.org.uk/
In reply to IainRUK: Thanks Iain. I think I'll do some orienteering races, and the Rab mini mountain marathon (3 hrs) this year, and look at entering the Saunders in 2011.

How much weight does a typical competitor carry on something like the Saunders? I'm addicted to shopping for ever more lightweight kit, but on the other hand I do like to be comfortable...

Cheers
 Chris Harris 17 Apr 2010
http://www.everestmarathon.org.uk/

Starts at 17,000 feet
Finished at 11,300 feet.

Downhill all the way - nice and easy, none of that nasty ascending.

Banned User 77 18 Apr 2010
In reply to Ian Cameron:
> (In reply to IainRUK) Sorry to highjack the thread but I've been wanting to try fell-running for years. How long should I be able to run for on roads before I enter a fell race?

Depends on the fell race really. There are fell races which are basically steep hill walks up a hill and a fast running descent, there are quick 5k traily fell races.

I'd just enter and see. As long as you can navigate and aren't a liabiliy on the hills, just jump in and have a go.
 Banned User 77 18 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: You'll see all, from 5kilo's to 15 kilos. Light as possible, in the summer, with a good forecast you can take a few risks.
 net 18 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: I really enjoyed the RAB mountain marathon - it's a score event, so you can pick the course that you run and how ambitious you want to be in terms of accruing points (the Short Score of the OMM is similar, but at a time of year prone to worse weather, obviously!). However, this does involve more planning and being a bit strategic.

A course based class/event (i.e. the Saunders, the non-score classes of the OMM and the LAMM) might help you feel a bit more secure in that respect, as there will be other people running the same way as you (though this can go horribly wrong and you could end up following people on a different course!!).

The shorter courses on the Saunders tend lend themselves to following footpath type features quite a bit of the time - you might do more height gain than a 'similar' course on the OMM, but the nav and terrain would probably be easier.

Being able to grit your teeth and carry on when the weather's minging (or even too hot!!) seems to be the most important factor in any case!

Heike 18 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: You can easily do it with 5kgs or under, you really don't need any more! I have done 10 OMMS, a few LAMMS and a Mourne Mountain Marathon and have never carried more then 5kg.

You can go really light if you have reasonable gear and in terms of comforts, just tell yourself its one night out of 365, so hey, do you really need ....the third pair of dry socks, the really heavy sausages, the ...etc, etc. But you'll appreciate the light sack and the quick time because of the light sack!!

Goodl luck
Daithi O Murchu 19 Apr 2010

pumlummon challenge End fo Sept

http://www.pumlumon.org.uk/challenge.php
In reply to Heike: Thanks. Any recommendations on specific gear, or articles about MM gear?

I've read this one:
- http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_2009_Mountain_Marathon_Kit_List_1037...

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...