UKC

Anyone tried fivefingers by vibram?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graham T 19 Apr 2010
Has anyone tried five fingers?
I have been looking at them for watersports and just wandering around, but interested to find out if anyone has any views.

Cheers
Graham
mountainsheep 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T: Do a search on here, there were quite a lot of threads about them a little while back.
 bouldery bits 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T:

I have a mate who has a pair which he likes to wear for camping and wandering around near boulders and he likes them. For the price though I'd probably get some covered Teva sandals.
OP Graham T 19 Apr 2010
In reply to mountainsheep:
I tried, just kept coming back with things like banana finger etc, bloody google.
Will try again
 ElliottB 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T: I bought a pair a while back, love em. You don't half get some funny looks when you wear them around a town or places like that. I haven't learned to walk/run in them properly yet, so I end up with painful heels. I think that they are great to stuff into my backpack just in case I need to aware camping if I don't have room for shoes.
OP Graham T 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Guyinsas:
Am looking at the flows as they seem to be ideal for watersports.
Might have to bite the bullet and get some, just object to the fact that they cost £120 here and $90 in the states
 ElliottB 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T: Yeah does suck a bit the hike in cost. Have you found a store that sells them? I had to drive to Sheffield for mine as no where else sold them.
OP Graham T 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Guyinsas:
Internet for me, ok might have to wing it on the size but otherwise no idea sadly.
No mates going to the states either. Bugger
Removed User 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T:
One of my running buddies has taken to training in them and seems to be happy with them so far. Not for me though. They look as though they're missing something. Fur and claws I think.
 mrchewy 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T:

I have them, the Classics. Just started runnin in them, not far yet but it's forced me to stop heel striking. I'm pretty sure they do what they claim to for me, legs always feel like they've had a harder but more comfortable workout. Walking a couple of hours is fine, after that the heels start to burn... running on balls of feet would be comfier than walking.
People do stare and ask questions but I quite like that!
Removed User 19 Apr 2010
In reply to mrchewy:
Yes, my pal subscribes to the view that it will change his style to become a forefoot striker. I take it it works for you? Does it not put more stress on your calfs?
OP Graham T 19 Apr 2010
In reply to mrchewy:
Cool, I think I will get some then, just debating which colour now, boring black or look really odd with the grey / camo ones
 mrchewy 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Removed Userysingo: I have fairly strong calves from going up steps and ladders all day but yeh, first few wears, they took a bit of a burn. Quads seem to have gained small, new little muscles in the middle too! I don't think there's anyway you could run and heelstrike... but that's a good thing for the knees, they will thank me.
 mrchewy 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T: I got dark brown but they just look like I have gorilla feet with the grey soles
 mrchewy 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T: Oh yeh- go down a couple of sizes (european)
OP Graham T 19 Apr 2010
In reply to mrchewy:
Nothing wrong with that, you could manufacture some huge cowled nails to attach to the end of each toe for the full effect
 mrchewy 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T: hahaha you got me thinkin'... it may be fancy dress time!
 fimm 20 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T:

When the bloke did the Glasgow to Edinburgh Double Marathon there was a guy who ran it in Vibram fivefingers...

There's a thread (which I have not read!) on the triathlon forums here: http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55603
 nufkin 20 Apr 2010
In reply to Graham T:

Really grippy for windsurfing, I've found (though the KSO ones seem like a good idea now), not so grippy for steep grass slopes.

Running in them, as others have said, is different but sort of liberating - hardly any weight on the feet and no bulk underneath, but it seems harder to go fast compared to ordinary trainers and off-road is definitely preferable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...