UKC

Gluing/ Fixing a hole in the rubber of ones Rock Shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Oswald 24 Apr 2010
Hey.
Was climbing in the Sun at Burbage North today on the "Tiny Slab" and practicing my smearing. On one of my attempts my left foot popped off a smear and after checking there was a small hole in the rubber. There was a flapping bit of rubber. This flapping piece of rubber is the same size as the hole.
I don't want to get rid of these shoes (rockshoes are expensive + these shoes fit me really well) and may start using them indoors.
So I was wondering if I could glue the flap of rubber back into the hole.
Have you done this? Is this likely to work? What would one use? Superglue?

Hope this makes sense.
James
 PeteH 24 Apr 2010
In reply to James Oswald:
Depending on the size of the flap and hole, superglue might work. However, if you're looking for something a bit more permanent, Cheshire Shoe Repairs ( http://www.cheshireshoe.co.uk/ ) do excellent work and I can recommend them. Depending on your brand of shoe you might need to try somewhere else.

Pete.
 JSA 24 Apr 2010

A few years back my workboots developed a 'mouth' on both soles, basically the sole had come off from the toe to the start of the heel, I glued them together with some 'mitre mate', they lasted another two years on building sites! it's well worth a try, far better than super glue!
 Timmd 24 Apr 2010

If you're Sheffield based or vaguely near Sheffield, Feetfirst do rockboot repairs, as well as other types of footware, like walking boots for example.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=feet+first+sheffield&meta=&aq=...

Cheers
Tim
 Fatboyteesside 24 Apr 2010
In reply to James Oswald: Seam Grip, or something flexy and urethane based has worked for me in the past.
 karinh 24 Apr 2010
Havent tried it myself, but rubber glue (bicycle repair kit glue) should work better than superglue I reckon. I've fixed up huge holes in trainers with Freesole, that worked pretty well too.
 nniff 25 Apr 2010

Superglue - it works well and is the glue of choice for glueing cuts in bike tyres too. Don't worry about any excess - it will soon scrub off
 CurlyStevo 25 Apr 2010
In reply to nniff:
Really I would have thought it be very unsuitable for both applications being both inflexible (so will deterioate with time during flexing) and also not waterproof.
i've just used some bike puncture repair glue on my rock shoes to glue the sole back on where it was peeling a little.
havent had a chance to test them yet but will report back when i have.
OP James Oswald 10 May 2010
In reply to Northern Climber:
Did it work?
Thanks
James
 Swirly 10 May 2010
In reply to James Oswald: I fixed my snowboard boots this season with two part epoxy. At the point I glued them the whole of the upper had come away at the heel on one boot. That lasted another 60 days of snowboarding so should hold a rock shoe no bother.
In reply to James Oswald: i forgot to try them this weekend when i was out, used my other shoes, dam!

looks like its a fairly decent job though, may still need another glueing to get a better finish.

i'll try get out at the weekend if i can and hopefully remeber to use them this time!
 LastBoyScout 19 May 2010

I've used both bicycle patch glue and Evo Stick in the past, with reasonable results.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 May 2010
In reply to Fatboyteesside:
> (In reply to James Oswald) Seam Grip, or something flexy and urethane based has worked for me in the past.

I tell 'em every time this comes up but will they listen!!

Chris
In reply to James Oswald: Finaly got round to trying these shoes on after the repair!

they lasted all weekend in the heat and are slightly better than the origional peeling they had.
the repair i did was just with the glue though, no patches.

i may patch the shoes later on and see how that holds up.

hope that helps

NC
 Stuzz 26 May 2010

*Hijack*

On a similar not, has anyone tried the 5.10 stelth paint?

(http://www.mountain-intelligence.co.uk/1623/products/Five_Ten_Stealth_Paint...

my shoes have just starting developing holse in the toes and it looks like it could do the job nicely? or is it just an over priced gimmic?

Cheers
 freerangecat 26 May 2010
In reply to Stuzz:

I had some good suggestions for that problem here
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=405815&v=1#x5811433
Not tried any yet as screwed up my knee a couple of weeks later and haven't climbed since

HTH
Cat
 hellboundblr 26 May 2010
I have also used bike puncture repair glue before and had very good results, got about another 6 months out of them and it did not seem to affect shoe performance at my level.
Super glue was very bad as got every where, was stiff and also very slippy.
 KeithAlexander 26 May 2010
In reply to Stuzz:

> my shoes have just starting developing holse in the toes and it looks like it could do the job nicely? or is it just an over priced gimmic?

yes. When I have tried repairs with it, they've worn off after a session. I think they now market it more for "customising" (adding more rubber to the uppers). Whatever the case, it is expensive for a shoe polish tin of rubber filings, a tube of bike inner tube cement, and a plastic spoon.
 Charlie_Zero 26 May 2010
In reply to Stuzz:

From personal experience - it's useless for trying to repair a hole in the rubber.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...