UKC

Getting Winter Skills in May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mattl Dn 25 Apr 2010
I'm keen to walk some or all of the Corsican GR20 with a friend in late May - the only time we can get off work.

I'm aware that this early in the season there can be problems with ice at some of the higher stages.

Even if the conditions are bad, it's reckoned to be walkable with the right precautions, ie crampons, axe and maybe a rope and harness. And there's a chance that the ice will have gone by late May.

As beginners, we don't want to just take off with the kit and no idea how to use it. But in late April it's hard to see how we can do any training in the right conditions (without flying to a glacier in the Alps or Rockies, which is kind of extravagant).

Any suggestions on how to acquire a safe level of ice skills at this time of year, in case they're needed?

Thanks...

Mattl
 FrJ 25 Apr 2010
In reply to Mattl Dn:
If you can get out with a little extra time you could hire a Guide in Corsica to teach you the basic skills.
 AlH 25 Apr 2010
In reply to Mattl Dn: I think you are right to want to get some skills. Apparently the GR20 can be extremely icey through until the end of May. There is plenty of snow left for teaching/practising on in both Lochaber and the Northern Corries of the Cairngorms. If you have a knowledgeable friend willing to tak the time to share some skills great. If you want instruction you can use this page: http://www.ami.org.uk/db/public/instructor_search.php to find a freelance MIC in the area you want to visit (yes I am on there .
Good luck,
Al
Mattl Dn 25 Apr 2010
In reply to FrJ: That's a good idea. Any knowledge of guiding associations in Corsica?
Mattl Dn 25 Apr 2010
In reply to AlH: Thanks Al - will check it out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...