UKC

Optimus Svea 123 Stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamestheyip 27 Apr 2010
I'm looking for a liquid fuel stove to replace my 13 years old XGK which is falling apart. Have read many good reviews above the classic Svea123 stove and found out you can still get them new. I really like the simplicity of the design and its integrated windshield and fuel store. Have anyone used them (123 or the later 123R with jet needle)? How do they perform in cold/wet/windy condition and at attitude? Do they work well with unleaded petrol? I heard the Hunter 8R clogs up a lot does the Svea 123 have the same problem? I've been using unleaded on my XGK all the time but it's getting unbearable sooty now, even with regular stripping/cleaning.

I want a compact stove which is robust, lightweight, runs well on unleaded and is reasonably quick for melting snow. Not bothered about simmering. Is the Svea good for all that?
 d_b 27 Apr 2010
In reply to jamestheyip:

I have one. I turned to it after I got sick of my old MSR dragonfly - a pretty, but incredibly unreliable stove.

Overall I find it is pretty good. It seems to work well at altitude (to 4000m anyway), and does the job.

If you get one I would suggest getting the midi pump (+ compatible fuel cap), as it burns a lot hotter if you pump it a bit than it does in self pressurising mode. 3 or 4 strokes should be sufficient.

Pros:
- Ultra reliable
- Cheap
- Small

Cons:
- Doesn't burn as hot as the XGK
- Can be a bit faffy to start, can flare so not great in tents
- Gets you a lot of abuse from the titanium brigade
- Pump is an optional extra
 d_b 27 Apr 2010
In reply to davidbeynon:

On the wet/windy question

the built in windshield will keep it burning in bad weather, but you will get better performance if you whack a foil windshield around the stove + pan.
 dazwan 27 Apr 2010
In reply to davidbeynon: Where did you get the pump? I've been looking for one for a while, but just can't seem to find one anywhere.

Anyhow, even if you never use it, these are lovely little stoves which look nice just sat on the shelf. I've had one of these for about a year and so far think it's an excellent little stove. It will fit neatly inside a Vargo titanium cup or the alpkit titanium cup which doubles up as the pan (just the right size for cooking noodles).

I had trouble using it in the cold but have since learned that you need to isolate it from cold ground/rock or snow (it needs to stay warm to pressurise itself). I now carry a little wooden coaster to insulate it from the ground as well as an extra windshield to help cut down on heating times.
 Matt_b 27 Apr 2010
In reply to jamestheyip: I've got one and converted it into a jetboil style hanging stove. Weighs less than a jetboil and works in the cold.
OP jamestheyip 27 Apr 2010
In reply to Matt_b:

Cool - that's my plan too. Like the all-in-one design and efficiency of jetboil but I hate gas stoves! Fuel is expensive and I always ended up with a pile of half used canisters. Don't understand why no one make home refillable gas canisters like butane lighters (e.g Clippers).
 d_b 27 Apr 2010
In reply to dazwan:

I think I got it from these guys: http://www.base-camp.co.uk/

If they don't have what you want then I would fall back on asking on the spiritburner forum: http://www.spiritburner.com/

nniff 28 Apr 2010
In reply to jamestheyip:

I used one for years and years. First it ran on 4 star and then on unleaded. It wasn't keen on Coleman fuel - not enough oomph to keep it going. Mine was quite happy running at -25C. It's jet engine roar was warming in itself.

I used to start it by pouring a bit of petrol over it and lighting it - none of this burning paste faff - that worked well for around twenty years until I overdid it a bit and it got really carried away with itself, There was a loud pop and it leapt a foot into the air as the concave base inverted and became convex. A sad end. My Primus omnifuel thing is characterless in comparison.

IO never needed the booster pump - you only really need one to get it started if it's really cold, but I never felt the need for one.
 d_b 29 Apr 2010
In reply to dazwan:

> Anyhow, even if you never use it, these are lovely little stoves which look nice just sat on the shelf.

My plan for the weekend is to pick up a spare from for exactly that purpose - i will be in N wales and noticed they have them in Joe Browns
 Siward 29 Apr 2010
In reply to nniff: Are these stoves usable with paraffin? Always my fuel of choice- safe and non explosive!
 d_b 29 Apr 2010
In reply to Siward:

Parrafin is too dense i'm afraid. The stove relies on a fuel with a fairly high vapour pressure/low boiling point to keep itself pressurised.

Petrol or white gas only.
 Kai 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Matt_b:
> (In reply to jamestheyip) I've got one and converted it into a jetboil style hanging stove. Weighs less than a jetboil and works in the cold.

Could you please post pictures?

Sharp 30 Apr 2010
In reply to jamestheyip: Another vote for the svea. I've only been using mine for 1-2 years but really love it. As one of the previous posters above mentioned when 'priming' in cold weather it's best just to set it on fire for a while instead of trying to light a little at a time in the dimple. It took me a while to get the hang of it but once you've got it down you know the stove will work whatever happens.
It's not so good for simering but boils pretty fast. Obviously if you include the time it takes to prime it then it's probably one of the slowest stoves around but if you own a svea you probably don't mind that much.
One thing to point out is that its useful if you're with someone else who has an easier stove along. Crawling out of the tent into bad weather to fight with the svea sometimes doesn't seem worth it just for a cup of tea. But then I guess thats why you love it.
Ben
P.S. I think someone said the svea is lighter than the jet boil but it's actually the other way round. Svea weighs 550g and JB weighs 439g.
 Jonny2vests 30 Apr 2010
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to jamestheyip)
>
> I have one. I turned to it after I got sick of my old MSR dragonfly - a pretty, but incredibly unreliable stove.

Really? I've had one for years and its been amazing, and it gets a lot of hammer. I've had it serviced once, MSR replaced almost every part for free!
 d_b 30 Apr 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:

The first time I used it in cold conditions the pump handle snapped off in my hand, and I had all sorts of trouble with the needle valve, despite never burning anything in it dirtier than coleman fuel.

I ended up selling it on to someone more guillible and swore never to buy anything from MSR again.
ross@ccs 07 May 2010
I'd advise trying to get an older model on ebay as the new ones are no longer made in Sweden & there have been issues with quality. The real old ones had no cleaning needle & run hotter. These have a sloping, control valve & simple key.

They do tend to clog up on any type of automotive fuel but run well on naptha based panel wipe or better again Aspen 4T alkylate petrol (available from agricultural merchants) - a high end power tool fuel. Don't try the 2 stroke version - 2T. 4T is about as pure as you can get & much cheaper than Coleman fuel.

The standard 123 is not brilliant in windy conditions & can overheat if you overdo the protection. There is a Sigg Tourist outfit with windshield/pans which gives it more Trangia like wind resistance & a similar smaller outfit that Optimus made. Ebay is the best source for these, now vintage, items.
 Gordonbp 08 May 2010
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to jamestheyip)
>
> I used one for years and years. First it ran on 4 star and then on unleaded. It wasn't keen on Coleman fuel -

I second that - petrol not Coleman fuel. However I found that mine never really liked unleaded - the flame burned with lots of pretty colours as the carcinogenic additives in the unleaded burned off.....could explain the slow brain these days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...