UKC

m.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
looseblock 29 Apr 2010
As Vard touched on in a now locked post, more n more folk would like to access UKC when not at a PC.

So how hard would it be for UKC to implement the m.ukclimbing.com URL along side the normal URL?

I'm aware of http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/wap.html but it doesn't seem to allow access to Forums & Logbooks.

Nick?

A: Its going to happen

B: We looked at that and it’s too hard

C: We’re click tarts and couldn’t be arsed

cheers...
 balmybaldwin 29 Apr 2010
In reply to looseblock:

I like many others have no problem viewing the site in it's normal form on a mobile device....

Let's face it, cut down mobile versions of sites tend to be crap and newer and newer mobile devices are getting so much better at viewing full scale sites - the iPhone, HTC, the new sony ericson phones, the new nokia phones all allow this very easily.

Seems like a pointless expense for the good folk that run this site.
 thin bob 29 Apr 2010
In reply to looseblock: works ok on my nokia...works well, actualy.
Write a iphone app & flog it!

Outdoorsmagicc, on the otherhand, is pretty much unuseable. So i don't go there. Shame
looseblock 29 Apr 2010
In reply to thin bob:

There is one already, albeit a universal app which can read forums, http://www.messageforums.net/iphoneforumreader.php ...all it would require is UKC admins to install some server end software.

Problem is that it does not encourage ads which pay for the hosting of user generated content. (And jam tarts for the UKC office)

So not ideal and only on the iphone not on the erm, smegphone.

Navigation would be easier with m.ukc and would be useful in a low bandwidth situation.
 thin bob 29 Apr 2010
In reply to looseblock: ah right, got ya.
Some ads are fine & neccessary. OM site is impossible, though!!
In reply to looseblock: The WAP version of UKC was introduced in 2000, and while popular for a few years, hardly gets used now as most phones can display normal HTML pages.

I think I can say we'll be doing a lot more to support mobile users of UKC in the coming months. We've been looking at different options - from reformatting existing pages so they are more suitable for small screens, to writing dedicated applications for particular parts of the site.

Cheers
 ebygomm 29 Apr 2010
In reply to looseblock: ukc works fine using opera mini on a 5 year old phone and has done for years.
 Gandalf 29 Apr 2010
In reply to looseblock:
the issue is navigation and readability, not rendering

the real estate on a phone is much smaller therefore more valuable than that of a screen

in truth, it probably wouldn't be hard for UKC to implement a m.ukc pretty quickly as the technology is identical to that of a normal website, just a few lines of a scripting language to redirect to mobile site if your on a mobile browser.

ebygomm 29 Apr 2010
In reply to Gandalf: no, i can't stand sites that redirect me to an m. site when i can use the full site perfectly
 'Hilda' 29 Apr 2010
In reply to looseblock: Im currently Reading this fron my iPhone - a mobile app would be great as the screen width on forums is too wide. If I view the whole line of text I can't read it as it's way too small. I end up scrolling Cross the screen - bit frustrating
 Gandalf 29 Apr 2010
In reply to 'Hilda':
exactly what i meant,

i did how ever miss one thing, there is a little bit of server config needed to allow for it, unless they use a 2nd server which just seems silly
Profanisaurus Rex 29 Apr 2010
In reply to looseblock:

I'm reading and replying on a Nokia 5800. All the functionality is there, font is perfectly legible, layout perfectly acceptable, no sideways scrolling, etc.
 ebygomm 29 Apr 2010
In reply to 'Hilda': you need a better phone No sideways scrolling needed here when browsing the forums even though my screen is 3cm wide
 Gandalf 29 Apr 2010
In reply to Profanisaurus Rex:
thats because the browse ris stopping it, and you can zoom in??

on the iPhone, blackberry, android systems there is a real problem viewing sites with large text content

hence the need for a mobile site.
looseblock 29 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Great to hear Nick, music to my headphones.

Next pint is on me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...