UKC

Vaccinations for Peru

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dougair 06 May 2010
Off to Peru at the end of the month, doing Inca Trail and some trekking around Santa Cruz. I have had most jabs but wondering whether to have to Yellow Fever jab. Does anyone know if the risk in these areas is high?
 DNS 06 May 2010
In reply to dougair:

Suggest google MASTA.
 oliwarlow 06 May 2010
In reply to dougair: I can't remember what it is for Peru, but a lot of South American countries will (officially) not let you enter/cross borders without proof of yellow fever vaccination. probably best to check this out, although I think you are probably fine if just visiting Peru.
jenka 06 May 2010
In reply to dougair:

Ditto oliwarlow's comment; although I hadn't been anywhere near an area in Peru that had an outbreak when I was there, I was not allowed back into Australia without the cert. It's worth getting the shot to prevent any restrictions on travel (and I hear the disease itself is pretty nasty, too).
 HeatherF 06 May 2010
I will be in Peru at the end of June. I've had Yellow Fever for if I go to the jungle, but its not necessary (I only had to get it because I'm heading to S Africa afterwards. Also having Rabies, after horror stories from my mum about Rabid dogs! Hep A and B as well as all of the school leaver jabs and teatnus. If you will still be around in June, drop us a message if you fancy climbing.
H
 Hoppo 06 May 2010
In reply to oliwarlow:

We found that a lack of a Yellow Fever certificate can be substituted with a $10 bill when entering Paraguay!
 Jenny C 06 May 2010
In reply to dougair: I know the Yellow Fever isn't free but it does last for 10 years - as said above some countries won't let you in (after visiting affected countries) unless you show your vaccination cert.

FWIW we were advised to have it (in 2000) for Peru - toegether with Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid and anti Malarials.
OP dougair 06 May 2010
In reply to dougair: Thanks all. What about Rabies. My practice nurse didn't seem convinced of the need?
 MJH 06 May 2010
In reply to dougair: IIRC the Rabies shot only gives you extra time (24 or 48 hours?) to get treatment if you get bitten. So if you are going somewhere well off the beaten track with prevalence of Rabies then might be worth it.
JonRoger 06 May 2010
In reply to dougair: I traveled extensively in Peru last year and used no shots at all (other than tetanus). Animals need to be treated with caution and I did not get to the jungles - but otherwise no probs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...