UKC

softshells - advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eirenutter 09 May 2010
Im after some advice about softshells.
Ther are two main types on the market the ones which are welded to together (Berghaus Diffusion) and the ones which are sewed together (rab vapour rise). I would like to know which is best for uk hills when walking and climbing, and what the if any are the advanages of each?
nb290 09 May 2010
In reply to eirenutter: troll
 uncontrollable 09 May 2010
In reply to eirenutter:

The two Maintypes of soft shells are:
1 rubbish marketed as softshell so that you buy it and
2 proper soft shells.
Andy Kirkpatrick has a good article about Soft Shells on his homepage.
http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/site/main_articles/the_best_softshell_in_th...
and some more related ones here http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/gear

Now to welded seams. They are more waterproof and windproof than sewn seams and lighter as you don't have the weight of the string.
If it's worth it depends on the rest of the garment and shouldn't make to much of a difference in your decision making.
Soft Shells are by nature not waterproof so you don't need a waterproof seam.

In reply to eirenutter:

I posted about the different types of soft shell on OM a few years back. I think it's still useful.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/6983

I've grown to like PowerShield more since then.

There's a fifth type now, too, which is basically a hard shell with a fluffy scrim. Basically, a hard shell marketed as soft shell. Gore Soft Shell is one such...
In reply to uncontrollable:

> Now to welded seams.

I suspect the OP was meaning 'laminated', or membrane (Berghaus), vs shelled micropile (Rab VR). Barring leakage, the type of seam used is fairly irrelevant, I think.
 thin bob 10 May 2010
In reply to captain paranoia:
great article CP!
and surely paramo fleeces count as another type of softshell? ......hee hee
 NorthernRock 10 May 2010
In reply to eirenutter:

I have a Mountain Hardwear Synchro jacket in Conduit. This looks like neoprene. I have found it great in minus stupid in Canada and wear it all the time except when it's really tipping it down. No hood. Which makes sense to me, as I have an NFace gore tex hard shell. The synchro is available with a hood, which would make it better for all round mountain use, but maybe less so for cragging and everyday use, as it doesn't look too "anorak of distinction"

As far as the material, I have no problems with it, reproofed every 6 months ish, more if excessive wet thrutching has taken place in it! If my tent was on fire, it would be the jacket I saved first.
 uncontrollable 10 May 2010
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to uncontrollable)
>
> [...]
>
> I suspect the OP was meaning 'laminated', or membrane (Berghaus), vs shelled micropile (Rab VR).

admittably that makes sense
OP eirenutter 10 May 2010
In reply to captain paranoia: that hits the nail on the head!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...