UKC

Advice on Peru - Inca Trail / Machu Picchu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
birdman 13 May 2010
I've just been asked to go on a last minute trip to Peru to help with a trip around the sacred valley and then inca trail to machu picchu.

I've not been to South America before and was just wondering if people had any tips (places to stay, things to see, bars etc). I'll be spending a few days around Cusco for the RnR phase.

More importantly what sort of kit would you advise i take:
Sleeping bag: 4 Season Synthetic or 2-3 season Down?
lightweight waterproofs or full on head to toe goretex?
Boots: Light weight boots (trainer style but above anckle), or mountaineering boots (sportiva trango evos)

How hot / humid is it out there?

I've got a katadyn ceramic water pump and an MSR MIOX thingy, which are both light weight so i'll probably take both.

Any advice from the collective experience of UKCers will be greatly appreciated. (i've not got much time to research above info hence posting on this forum)

Tim
 Alex Buisse 13 May 2010
In reply to birdman:

When are you going? May is the end of the rainy season, so you can expect some precipitation, especially since 2010 is forecast to be an El Nino year. I have only been there in dry seasons so can't really comment on precipitation volumes, but it probably won't be a monsoon.

If you only do inca trail/machu picchu, you will stay at reasonable altitudes (3500-4000 max, below that most of the time), and temperatures will be on the warm side. I wouldn't take down, as it can get rather humid, but 3 seasons synthetic should be fine. Lightweight waterproof would probably do it, as you will probably sweat more than you get rained on. Definitely go for hiking boots rather than mountaineering boots, it's a trail all the way. Water purification is a good idea, but iodine can be hard to find locally.

Cusco is a tourist trap, get out of it as soon as you can (but don't skimp on acclimatization either). Aguas Calientes is a nightmare, avoid at all costs and DO NOT EAT ANYTHING COOKED THERE, it's the Peruvian capital of gastric troubles. Get to Machu Picchu very early, for the opening, as it's the only way to see the site without too much crowding. Also go straight to Wayna Picchu and get your pass stamped, as there is a limited number of permits every day.

That's off the top of my head, just ask if you have more questions. Peru is a wonderful country and Machu Picchu an amazing place that everyone should see once in their life. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.
 Hoppo 13 May 2010
In reply to birdman:

If you are doing the trail with a guided company check them out before hand. There are many not so ethical companies that will charge you what you would consider a fair price, but who will not be paying a fair price to the locals who will be carrying the equipment.

We went in January, which is the middle of the Peruvian summer, and at 4000m it was pretty cold, and drizzling quite a lot, so some form of waterproofs definitely recommended. I'm not sure what it would be like in May, though being their Winter would imagine that it would be even colder.

The tourist train from Cuzco, is one of those great railway journeys of the world, going through some amazing scenery, and for that reason I personally wouldn't bother with the Inca trail, and use the 3 days you save to explore other parts of Peru, like the Cordillera Huayhuash or Blanca.

I agree with Alex above, that Machu Picchu is one of those awe inspiring places, that everyone should try and visit at least once. It is truly amazing.

One other thing, when we went you can't pay by credit card to get in. We made the assumption that you could, and finding out you couldn't scrimped our money together to find we were about 10 dollars short, and ended up having to borrow some money from a local to get in!
birdman 13 May 2010
In reply to Alex Buisse:

Sorry i meant to say i'm going at the end of May (24th) till 11 June.

Thanks for info.
birdman 13 May 2010
In reply to Hoppo:

What sort of temperatures should i be looking at for Lima and Cusco? Is it shorts and t-shirts or trousers and long sleeve shirt with warm top to hand?

cheers.
 Alex Buisse 13 May 2010
In reply to birdman: It's short and T-shirts during the day, but temperatures will drop dramatically as the sun sets.
 terryturbojr 13 May 2010
In reply to Hoppo:
> (In reply to birdman)
>
> If you are doing the trail with a guided company check them out before hand.

You're not allowed to do it any other way nowadays are you?

terryturbojr 13 May 2010
In reply to Hoppo:

I enjoyed the the Inca Trail itself much more than I enjoyed Machu Picchu then got the train back to Cusco afterwards. It was totally epic walking through the mountains, coming across sites not much smaller than Macchu Pichu and being the only 4 people there for the hour you spent exploring them, I wouldn't miss those 3 days for the world. Macchu Picchu on the other hand was so touristy, immense but a bit theme park-esque.
 Jock 13 May 2010
In reply to birdman:
Make sure you manage a night drinking cocktails in Fallen Angel in Cuzco. Camper than an ice skaters friend..
 sargy 13 May 2010
In reply to terryturbojr:

The 'classic' trail is limited-permit only, and you have to have a guide. There are alternative routes in, such as the route that starts in Mollepata and goes via Salkantay. It joins the classic trail later. This you can do independently, and you don't need to pay for the permit either, AFAIK.
 Jock 13 May 2010
In reply to birdman:
Oh, on a slightly less decadent note, check the state of access around the Sacred Valley - there is still lots of flood damage. Learn a bit of basic Spanish if you don't have any - it makes a difference to be able to have even a rudimentary exchange with the folk out in the sticks; they are very friendly. Fab place. Enjoy!
 mountainbagger 14 May 2010
In reply to birdman: Others have confirmed already, but for what it's worth, I went in November, used a 2/3 season down bag, lightweight waterproofs and light weight boots. Most other people on the trail had cheaper/less gear than me (e.g. trainers, mac in a sac) and were totally fine.

If you are on a guided Inca Trail (which, if you're doing the official route, you will have to be), I don't think you will need water purification - this will be done for you, although having some iodine may be handy just in case.

Cusco is great for a few days RnR. The bars/restaurants around the main square are OK but expensive. If you explore the side streets (don't have to go far at all), you will find better value for sure. If you are a veggie, I seem to remember a nice little place just off the main square, but this was 5/6 years ago now! Also in town, there's some old buildings (inca walls/ruins, spanish churches etc.) to check out and a museum. There's also some sort of tower you can go up and look down on Cusco to see that it is indeed built in the shape of a puma (you have to use a bit of imagination here). The road with the tower I think also has some cheap markets for mementos, tourist tat and clothing.

Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...