UKC

first indoor climbing session is 6a+ good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Northamptonclimbingjames 19 May 2010
i tried indoor climbing for first time in a indoor climbing building and working at a 6a+ grade is that good? im so confused about these grade ratings? thanks peeps
 stewieatb 19 May 2010
In reply to Northamptonclimbingjames: That's pretty good for a first time, yeah. In indoor walls, french climbing grades are used. They're a measurement of the overall effort involved in climbing a route. Typically, up to 5 they are given as a number with or without a plus, then at 6 and above they are further divided into 6a/6b/6c with or without the plus (the plus is sometimes referred to as a 'half grade'. Can you just confirm, did you lead or toprope the 6a+?
In reply to stewieatb: i usually trin outside kinda teaching myself, only been doing it properly for 6 months maybe..i top roped so was less fear of falling but i want to try leading tbh.
jnymtch 19 May 2010
In reply to Northamptonclimbingjames: grades are not that important, 6a+ is good going and give yourself a pat on the back,as for me, think FEET. its all in the footwork and comes with time.in the higher grades 7b+ to 7c+ needs blinding footwork.
as advice: never say never(for what you achieve and what can go wrong), have fun and take care.

3 things to look at.
next move, feet and the rack on ur harness, if u find yourself looking from next move to last bit of gear below then its starting to go wrong. and u need to look at ur feet.

well thats what i think
 jas wood 19 May 2010
In reply to Northamptonclimbingjames: forget about grades they just get in the way of things ! just get out climbing and enjoy it :O)
In reply to Northamptonclimbingjames: yh very true.. think about your whole body, in a sense spatial awareness! im climbing because i love to have a challenge and feel accomplished afterwards... so ok now there is different climbing disciplines like trad, indoor etc can if u can explain them please?
 stewieatb 19 May 2010
In reply to Northamptonclimbingjames: Have a read here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=33

lots of good stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...