UKC

Coffee table Tick List Books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Walton 21 May 2010
Was trying to think of all the "Coffee Table" style Tick list books available. So far I have;

Extreme Rock: K Wilson
Hard Rock: K Wilson
Classic Rock: K Wilson
Cold Climbs: K Wilson

Great Climbs of Britain: B Birkett
Great Climbs of Lake District: B Birkett
Great Climbs of Northern England: B Birkett
Great Climbs of Southern England: B Birkett
(All Much better routes than the K Wilson Books)

Limestone - 100 Best: C Craggs

Great Climbs (Author escapes me but has forward by CB)
High Mountains of the Alps (Maybe not a tick list as such)
100 Ques in Chamonix: G Rebuffat
Top Climbs of the World
Extreme Alpine Rock: Pause & Winkler
Himalaya Alpine Style: A Fanshawe & S Venables

50 Classic climbs in North America:

Have I missed any out?

Reach>Talent 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
Slightly off topic but it is a well presented coffee table book on climbing
http://www.amazon.com/Climbs-Alternative-Uses-Architecture/dp/190103349X
 Petarghh 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

> Top Climbs of the World

My laptop is currently resting on that! Some awesome pictures in it.

wilkie14c 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
Yes you have!

The Cuillin by Gordon Stainforth.

<Its dead hard to find, i'll swap it you for extreme rock if you like!>
 Fraser 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

I'd definitely add 'Yosemite', by Huber, Zak and Bridwell to that!
 Quiddity 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

This is not exactly a ticky list book but is a nice coffee table book with some inspiring pictures in. Some familiar places and some I would love to visit. Every time I get it out it makes me want to just get out and go climbing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Climbing-Images-Simon-Carter/dp/097576621X
 Fraser 21 May 2010
In reply to Fraser:

(ok, maybe not the 'tick list' you'd asked for, but I'd still have it there, even if for the photos alone)
 Petarghh 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton: Maybe not quite what you;re after but "Guiness book of Mountains and Mountaineering" is a pretty interesting coffee table type book
 Scarab9 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

do you still have any room to actually put your coffee?
OP Jim Walton 21 May 2010
In reply to blanchie14c: Of the list I have made, the only one I don't have is the 50 Classics in America. Who wants to climb there anyway...
 Simon Caldwell 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

Scottish Mountain Climbs: Donald Bennet
 wilkie14c 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
Yea, fecking yanks - what they ever done on grit?

watch for gordon's book on the bay of E as its out of print now. Mine's ex-libary. Superb photographs.
 wilkie14c 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

> 100 Ques in Chamonix: G Rebuffat

Watch for the new BMC stanage book - 100 queues in the peak...

seankenny 21 May 2010
In reply to Fraser: Or even Yosemite Climber if you're feeing a bit old skool?
In reply to blanchie14c: I have 2 copies of Gordons Book, as it happens, an excellent book with a good route description at the end.

Off thread, but as I know he is part of this parish, there is a photo of a guy starting the extended traverse and then another of him finishing on Blaven. Did Gordontake them both? he must have covered some ground pretty dam quickwith his camera (obviously not as much ground as the runner!)
 sutty 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

Climbing Ice, must have that in there.

http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Ice-Yvon-Chouinard/dp/0871562073
In reply to sutty: I have it but didn't put it on the list as It's more of an instructional/inspirational book rather than a tick list book.

A fine book none the less
 wilkie14c 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
No idea, bet Gordon will be along and give you the answer though. Good work on the 2nd copy, price will rocket like extreme rock in a few years i'll bet.

You have of course notified eveyone that your gaff is quite worth robbing, will need to pinch your wheelie bin as well though so the booty can be shifted.
 IainMunro 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

Not quite climbing as such but I suppose the SMC's Munros and Corbett books are essentially "tick lists", worth having on the coffee table even if it's just for the photos! (Cameron McNeish's Munros book also has some stunning photos)

Iain
In reply to sutty: If we are adding inspiration coffee table books then the list would be slightly longer;

Cullin: Gordon Stainforth
Mountaineer: Chris Bonnington
Himalayan Climber: Doug Scott
Blessed Everest: Brian Blessed(only just makes it onto list)
Climbing Ice: Yvon Chouinard

In reply to Jim Walton: Hang on, remebered another
Great VS's in the Lake District: Tim Noble - Dreadful photo's
In reply to blanchie14c: I have a 15mth on son, he'll trash them all in 6mths.

Already caught him with his little hands on Extreme Rock...
 wilkie14c 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
15 monther with extreme rock? hope he's happy with his foster parents
 sutty 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

Rock climbers in action in Snowdonia. not a tick book but got us salivating to do lots of the routes in it.
In reply to sutty:
Good spot - £400 on amazon!!!!.

I think Cleare did a book called "Mountaineering", is that any good?
 Toerag 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton: Scrambles in the Alps by Eward Whymper?
 Dan J M 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

Two great books by David Jones:

Rock Climbing in Britain
The Power of climbing

Pedro50 21 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

Fear and Fascination - Geoffrey Odds
Clasic Rock Climbs - Paul Dearden
And one for the Crow - John Redhead (Not a great book for ticking, I've managed one route so far)
In reply to Jim Walton:
> (In reply to blanchie14c) I have 2 copies of Gordons Book, as it happens, an excellent book with a good route description at the end.
>
> Off thread, but as I know he is part of this parish, there is a photo of a guy starting the extended traverse and then another of him finishing on Blaven. Did Gordontake them both? he must have covered some ground pretty dam quickwith his camera (obviously not as much ground as the runner!)

That guy is Mike Lates. How we did it was we stayed at the Coruisk Hut, then climbed the Dubhs Ridge the evening before, and traversed all the way to the southern end of the main ridge to bivvy on Garsbheinn. I had all my camera gear with me (Hasselblad medium format, Nikon 36 mm and tripod) as well as bivvy gear so it was quite arduous. Mike left the summit at 7.00 am (slight delay because some mist had come down and we weren't sure about the weather) I then stayed on GB for quite a while, then made the long and rather difficult descent to Loch Scavaig with all my gear plus Mike's bivvy gear. An unforeseen problem was the weather had now turned into a heat wave. I rested for just over an hour in the Coruisk Hut, mostly to cool down. Then I made the 5? mile walk plus 3000 foot ascent to the top of Blaven, arriving about 4.30 (Mike reckoned he would get there between 4.30 and 5.30, I think). The ascent of the S Ridge of Blaven was absolute hell in the heat, with no shade to be found anywhere and two other parties turned back. I waited and waited, and it gradually dawned on me that Mike must have given up the Greater Traverse because it was just too hot. 5.45, 6.00, still I lingered. Then, just when I was about to leave the summit there was a great cry of "Gordon!" on the summit of Clach Glas and I could see this little figure waving his hands. Mike came charging up the final part at incredible speed and was with me at the summit at 6.15, and I handed him some whisky. We stayed on the summit till about seven, I think, because it was such a gorgeous evening. Then we had to get all the way back to the Coruisk Hut. Mike arrived there about 10 minutes before me, just after nine when it was almost dark. In the morning we sat on chairs in the sun outside the hut drinking beer, really being obnoxious - as if we owned the place (the tourists had to go past us on the way to look at Loch Coruisk, then we went back on the boat to Elgol. A great two days.

wilkie14c 21 May 2010
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Jim Walton)
> [...]
>
> as if we owned the place

I though you did own the place!

Thanks for that Gordon, i'm going to look at the pic again when I get home and picture the scene.
 Crofty 22 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton: Classic Climbs of Australia by Joe Friend
 Hoppo 22 May 2010
In reply to Crofty:

World Mountaineering - Audrey Salkeld
The Peak - Gordon Stainforth (Not exactly tick list, but deserves a coffee table place due to photos!)
Magic of the Munroes - Irvine Butterfiled

All essential coffee table books IMO.
 IainMunro 22 May 2010
In reply to Hoppo:

> Magic of the Munroes - Irvine Butterfiled

Munros! No e thank you!

Iain Munro
 Hoppo 22 May 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

Ooops!
Removed User 22 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
Great Mountaineering Adventures. Stefano Ardito.

Full of great glossy pictures for the rugged armchair alpinist (like me)
 M. Edwards 22 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
Hi Jim,
Here are a few I have and enjoy...
First editions of Wilson's Classic/Hard/Extreme etc.
Yosemite Climber (George Meyers) My personal favorite and first climbing book that got me really hooked to crack climbing.
Morskie Oko (Ryscard Ziemak)
The Black Cliff (Crew/Coper/Wilson)
Welsh Rock (Trevor Jones & Geoff Milburn)
...and one for the crow (John Redhead)
Kletter im Elbsandstein-Gibirge (Frank Richter)
Climb Rock and Ice in Colorado (Bob Godfrey and Dudley Chelton)
Climbing Ice (Ivon Chouinard)
Dolomite's Mountains of Magic Discovery and Conquest (Hermann Frass)
Beyond the Vertical (Leyton Kor)
Rocks Around the World (Glowacz-Wiesmeier)
On Rock and Ice (Andre Koch)
....and many more

Mark
 Bulls Crack 22 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

'Classic climbs in Lancashire': by Ernest Bogglethwaite, 5 pages, 4 climbs - the definitive work on this subject
 Bulls Crack 22 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

'Castleberg Classics' by Sponsored Coprolites Inc.

Blank verse
 funalps 22 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:
"High Mountains of the Alps (Maybe not a tick list as such)"

The original version of this book, "Die Viertausander der Alpen" by Karl Blodig published in 1923, could well be the contender for the first ever coffee table tick list book.

The English version credited to Dumler and Burkhardt (1994)in my mind very much gives a tick list of the 61 "Blodigs" + 1 "Goedeke", though bizarrely misses out the Strahlhorn from both Contents page and the Introduction, but is included in the text, page 91.

For the medicore Chamonix route ticker, the 2010 version of "Sommets du Mont Blanc" by Laroche and Lelong, published by Glenat is a must; much better than the 1996 +2002 version of the same name and authors etc on which the small format, paperback, english version is based.

Colonel's "Mont-Blanc" 2008 (English and French) has to be one of the best collection of photographs of mountains in the Mont Blanc range, though some might prefer the book by Colonel and Tairraz "Voyage au Coeur de Mont Blanc" 2003 also in english and french and with exactly the same chapter headings. Neither a true "tick list" though.

Lastly, did anyone mention Im Steilen Eis by Erich Vanis?
OP Jim Walton 23 May 2010
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Thank you for that Gordon, it's always nice to know the back story.
 john arran 23 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton:

Parois de légende : Les plus belles escalades autour du monde

by Arnaud Petit and Stéphanie Bodet
see http://www.amazon.fr/Parois-l%C3%A9gende-belles-escalades-autour/dp/2723442...

It's Extreme Rock for the international age. Hard multi-pitch free climbs, both trad and bolted, in the most fantastic parts of the world. Wonderful book.
brian cropper 23 May 2010
In reply to Jim Walton: yosomite and the range of light ansel adams 1979 he was one hell of a photograph look him up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...