UKC

Driving to Dolomites through Germany & toll?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Crusher R 02 Jun 2010
A friend has suggested driving through Germany to get to Cortina and the Doloys. Does anyone know the story with toll charges on the autobahns? Im getting confused messages from websites? cheers
In reply to Paul R: I don't recall any tolls in Germany but you do hit a couple near the Austria/Italy border.

Al
 Toerag 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Paul R: I don't remember any tolls when I went that way (Drove from St.Malo across northern France). You will need a vignette to go down through Aurtria though - the Brenner pass is a really cool road to drive down, very fast and swoopy descending the Italian side. Nice road up through the gorge from by Bolzano to the Karer pass too.
 Carless 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Paul R:

No tolls on German autobahns

Need to buy motorway vignette for Austria (can be 10 days, 2 months or a year)

Italy has tolls like France - you also need to pay the Brenner pass
 digby 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Toerag:
>You will need a vignette to go down through Austria though.

Not if you avoid expressways and motorways. It's very easy to cross Austria via Innsbruck and the old road on the Brenner.

scott titt 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Paul R:
I will assume you are driving from Calais (or a nearby Channel port)!
In which case France (on this route), Belgium, Netherlands and Germany are toll free. There is a motorway pass charge in Austria and a toll for the Brenner pass, these can be avoided by taking the Gruner Tauern pass into Italy.
This route (Brussels ring, Aachen, Koln, Munich) is the easiest drive, the Liege road is not as good. I have tried them all!
In reply to scott titt: The plan was, brussels, koln, stuttgart, memmingen, innsbruck. So you reckon going to munich and back round. Where is the Gruner tauern pass? Avoiding the austrian/brenner charge would be a bonus.
 scott titt 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Paul R:
For the Tauern passes (there are a couple)take the Kufstein turning off the Bavaria (Munich) Innsbruck motorway, this bit is vignette free (so trhe Germans can go skiing at Kitzbuehl and St Johann). Then via Bruck or somewhere near and then direct South to Cortina. The best bit about this route is that it avoids the horrendous peak time queues on the Brenner.
In reply to scott titt: Cheers Scott, that makes total sense now looking at the map, should make life a bit easier.
 blurty 02 Jun 2010
The best bit about this route is that it avoids the horrendous peak time queues on the Brenner.

The queues to the Brenner can be quire terrible when heading South - sounds like good advice to avoid if possible.

BenTiffin 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Paul R: I don't know how but a friend and I took the motorway in 2003 from Munich past Innsbruck and over the Brenner but somehow managed to avoid any fees in Austria and don't remember anything on the Brenner either.

Coming back last summer from Trieste on the motorway through the Eastern Alps though which comes down past Salzburg to Munich, there was a single motorway toll booth halfway through Austria.

Ben
 sutty 02 Jun 2010
In reply to blurty:

Long while since I drove from Italy to Austria and then the only tolls were on the Brenner. We avoided that as wanted to see the bridge from below so took the old road, which was twisty and a bit bumpy but found an excellent place to eat on the way as well as did some shopping in the local Coop.

If you want to travel fast you pay the tolls, if you want to see the country a bit you stay off the autoroutes on the nice bits.
 Ian_Whitfield 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Paul R:

Went down that way last year. We bought a vignette at a service station near the Austrian border. I think it cost about 7 Euros for 10 days. The rest of our journey from Dunkerque through Belgium and Germany was free. Bloody long drive though!
 jimtitt 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Paul R:
Austrian vignette is €7.90 for 10 days or 22,90 for 2 months.
Brenner Autobahn is 9.50 altogether.
You can avoid buying an autobahn vignette by driving from Munich to Garmisch Partenkirchen and then over Mittenwald where you join the autobahn just before Brenner and no charge is made for this part. It´s not usually worth the bother.
the various tolls are here.- http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/pages/laender/export/laender.php3?xmlval_KONT...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...