UKC

Denmark and Sweden for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MHutch 03 Jun 2010
Taking the plunge and booking up a trip with the kids (7-year-olds) to Denmark and Sweden this summer. My wife used to visit the Malmo/Lund area on business, but apart from that, it's a blank canvas to us.

While we'll visit the obvious attractions (Legoland etc), I'm hoping someone on here will know about some lower-profile gems we could put on the list - I'm after really nice campsites, islands, beaches and interesting attractions.

We'll be flitting around the countryside surrounding Copenhagen and Malmo areas for about two weeks.

Thanks in advance!
Mr_Yeti 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

You lucky fella!

Used to live in Sweden, further north than Malmo so don't know the area i'm afraid but belive its cracking.

You will have a super time.
OP MHutch 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

Bump for the evening Scandinavian crowd...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

We are currently at Molle, a little granite peninsula about 15 km north of Helsinborg. Lovely area (feels very like West Penwith) nice climbing/birding/beaches/walking, superb daytime temperature (18C). Great campsite, and whole area very quiet at the moment too. I think the Swedish summer break starts in two weeks so it might busy up.

Chris
 Adam W. 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch: When is it you're coming over? There's the Malmö carnival at the beginning of August. Lund is worth visiting for the cathederal, the museum Kulturen and just for having a wander around http://www.lund.se/en/.
If the kids like skateboarding there's a skate park in Malmö with artificial boulders to climb on and you can have a swim in the sea.
I'd also visit Nimis on Kullaberg, http://www.ladonia.net/nimis_arx/index.html , sea cliffs and sculptures.
There's brilliant buoldering at Kjugekull with a campsite on the island nearby. There's also Ales Stenar and Stenshuvud National park that are worth a visit. http://www.lansstyrelsen.se/skane/Om_Lanet/Stenshuvud/Om_Stenshuvud.htm
If you go there visit Cafe Annorlunda as you can eat as many cakes as you want. There's loads more, let me know if you want more suggestions or any help.
Pan Ron 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

Sorry, not much to add, but if you do a bit of googling you'll find Scandinavia to be very child friendly. You won't be short of things to do and campsites, hostels are good quality.

From Copenhagen, perhaps the viking ship in Roskilde, Hamlet's Castle in Helsingor, a bit of boating (and Castley type buildings) on the various lakes.... Christiania could also be interesting.
 Adam W. 03 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs: Hi Chris Make sure you visit Nimis. While you're in the area. Yes the summer hols begin in two weeks.
 summo 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=maps+sweden&um=1&ie=UTF-8...

Hällevik is along the south coast and the island of Hanö, which is a short boat ride over to it. There is the odd little crag tucked away here and there in the random places along the coast, most bolted, but nothing special enough to bother with unless in the area already. Much of the ones I've been to around there start at fr5+ or 6, so not that child friendly.

As mentioned above, school hols start soon and everywhere will get busy, then even busier over Mid Summer weekend (coastal resorts mainly), then busier still as Sweden closes down for it's equivilant of factory fortnight. Unless you're going later on in August or Sept then I would try to book ahead where ever possible.

Neither Kronas are good for Uk travellers at the moment, so it's a gamble on if to change funds now or wait as they are on a very slow creep back up.
 chris fox 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

In copenhagen center there is Tivoli, it's a small amusement arcade with rides and shows. really good place for kids
 kamala 03 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:
The Experimentarium in Copenhagen may be worth a visit: loads of hands-on experiments to play with and on my one visit there everyone, especially kids, seemed to be enjoying themselves.
 elephant0907 04 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

Been to Copenhagen with my Dad and younger brothers a couple of times as my Dad worked there. Second Tivoli and the Experimentarium (esp this). Also in the town centre there's a Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum. Pretty good but obviously only if you're looking for the kind of attractions you pay for. (And the swimming pool is quite cool, got a climbing wall with deep water pool underneath )
OP MHutch 04 Jun 2010
In reply to elephant0907:

Thanks all for these replies - brilliant stuff. Getting excited now...
OP MHutch 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Adam W.:

Hi Adam - coming first couple of weeks of August, so I guess it will be busy busy pretty much everywhere. It would be useful to know if there's anywhere we should absolutely be avoiding on that score! In typical UK style, we're trying to work up a list of good/bad weather options.

The rough plan emerging is to get Legoland out of the way, then head out to the Helsingor area for a bit of beaching, then get the ferry across to Helsingborg for a bit more, then travel back via Malmo and Copenhagen and perhaps the Lalandia waterpark for a day or so.

Anyone know how long it takes to drive from Rotterdam to the Danish border?
 ebygomm 04 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch: if you want to camp in Denmark you need to get a Danish camping card, although you can get it at the first campsite you stay at. Costs about 13 quid.

Remember the bridge to zealand to get to Copenhagen from the mainland costs about 24 quid each way, bridge to Sweden is a bit more expensive again.

Danish border is about 7 hours from rotterdam
OP MHutch 04 Jun 2010
In reply to ebygomm:

Cheers! I'm aware that my wallet may not recover from this for some time...
 ebygomm 04 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch: are you taking the ferry from Hull?
OP MHutch 04 Jun 2010
In reply to ebygomm:

Yes. We looked at Harwich to Denmark direct, but it was exorbitant.
 ebygomm 04 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch: if you've not already booked it's worth keeping an eye out on the dfds site for special deals. We took the ferry last year and they had a car goes free offer, so ended up about 300 for the ferry in august.
OP MHutch 04 Jun 2010
In reply to ebygomm:

We've gone ahead and booked - mainly because we need to book stuff at the other end, and didn't want to find out in July that the price had gone up! Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people used ferries for holidays rather than fly this year, so demand could be quite high.
 Dave 04 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:
Go to Bornholm, the big Danish island off the S.E. Swedish coast, beautiful rolling scenery, castles, round churches, miles of sandy beaches at the S. end, quaint ports and fishing villages, lots of tourists in season.
dave
 Mikkel 04 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

I would suggest staying in Jutland for a few days on the way to Copenhagen, especialy if you plan to be going to Billund for Legoland anyway.
On the way up from the German/Danish border, dont go for the motorway, but stick to the smaller roads up the westcoast,you dont find that kind of marshland many other places in the world. Go from the border up the coast with a stop in Ribe, which is the oldest town in Denmark founded by Viking and there is a nice viking museum there.
If you then continue up the coast, at Esbjerg the landscape will change from the marshland to white sandy beaches with big dunes.Plenty of nice campsites on the coast, and from therethere its a short way to Legoland. Guess what part of the country im from
 summo 04 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch: I'll second Mokkel, the stretch through germany last summer had some fairly time consuming delays on the motorways.
OP MHutch 05 Jun 2010
In reply to summo:

Thanks. That's useful to know in advance.

And thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. There's a good list of options beginning to come together now.
 TobyA 05 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch: We took our two to Legoland a couple of years ago and although it is pricey, it was a wonderful day. Ours were younger than yours then (4 and 2) but the 4 year old could go on almost every ride and there were lots that the 2 year old could do. At 7 they'll still be young enough to enjoy it all, but will be able to go on every ride. If they are lego fans (my two are ridiculously so!) it is probably worth the investment. We camped on a nice site a bit south of Bilund - I think there is camping right there, but it might be a bit more pricey. We're driving to the UK this summer from home in Finland, and have had to promise the kids (now 6 and 4) that we will go again!

In Sweden I also wanted to visit Kjugekul for bouldering - it's fun for the kids to run around between all the boulders as well, and stayed on the campsite on the island nearby which was again very pleasant.

Generally I've found all the campsite we've stayed on in Sweden and Denmark to be good quality and family friendly. We did two weeks touring from Stockholm northward last summer camping every night and the kids loved just being able to play on the campsite playground every night.

The price of the ferries direct to Denmark are so high we've figured we'll do what did last time and drive on down to Dunkirk and 'evacuate' the continent for twenty quid again!

Whilst we're in that part of the world - has anyone climbed at Kullaberg? Are there any crags there 'family friendly' crags there where my wife could belay me and the kids could just play around?
 Adam W. 05 Jun 2010
In reply to TobyA: On the whole it's not very child friendly but there is Åkersberget http://www.sverigeforaren.se/index.php/Kullaberg scroll down abit to find it. There's another crag a couple of minutes walk away that should be ok. Can'f find the guide at the moment so can't find the name.

In regards to areas to avoid in the summer I can't really think of any off-hand. Lund is actually quieter because all the students have left town.
OP MHutch 05 Jun 2010
In reply to TobyA:

I think I may have cocked up the currency converter because I've only just realised exactly how expensive Legoland is! Too late now...

Thanks - will check out Kjugekul, although I've got a feeling the boots will be staying at home this time.
 Mikkel 05 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

something like 30 pounds pr ticket?
 Scarab 05 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

Im from Malmo.

Lots been mentioned already...

North of lund there is kullaberg national park, awesome place with cliffs and stuff.
OP MHutch 06 Jun 2010
In reply to Mokkel:
> (In reply to MHutch)
>
> something like 30 pounds pr ticket?

The family ticket weighed in at a mighty 995Kr, about £120 quid I think.
 Daysleeper 06 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:
First off watch out for this lot www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/horriblehistories/song16.shtml

Secondly , we did this sort of thing two years ago, ferry to Jutland then drive to Copenhagen before going on to southern Sweden. Staying with family rather than camping (kids were a little young then). We're planning on doing it again next year but camping so let us know how that goes!

Roads are easy and quiet, rest stop/services are lovely and the food is great, really puts the UK to shame. Bridges Jutland to Copenhagen and CPH to Malmo are so quick but yes a little pricy.

The Viking ship museum at Roskilde is a must, dressing up, archery (son got stung by a bee but hey ho!) Swarthy blokes wielding axes (wife liked that bit). Just amazing to see how small the viking boats were and how far they got.

Aarhus has an old town worth a look

Never been to Legoland but Billund is a nice enough town (Jutland is really very flat so good for cycling!)

In Copenhagen

Tivoli is a must! rollercoasters to stalls to food.

Nyhavn - sitting in the old dock drinking a cold Tuborg... (best bet nip up a side street to buy your beer as the prices on the dockside cafes are outrageous!)

Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen (fizzy drinks for the children!)

The boats round the docks, past the little mermaid, children liked them.

Southern Sweden

You really can get into the middle of nowhere very quickly and if you want a few days peace then camping up there would be cool , take really good midge repellent or hope for high winds!
OP MHutch 06 Jun 2010
In reply to Daysleeper:

Once again - thanks everyone for your help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...