UKC

TNF no sense of humour?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DJonsight 03 Jun 2010
Stumbled accross this, apparently The North Face are sueing The South Butt for copyright infringement.

http://www.lrlaw.com/news/xprPubDetailLR.aspx?xpST=PubDetail&pub=195
ice.solo 04 Jun 2010
In reply to DJonsight:

they oughta just buy them and get in on the joke.

TNF is well known for being faceless and humourless - the myanmar junta of gear companies.
except in australia where it seems they are really cool.
 Fatboyteesside 04 Jun 2010
In reply to ice.solo: They also threatened to sue Mischief skate shop in Stockton, who came up wih the North East shirts years ago that you see copied everywhere.

Miserable sods.
 Toby_W 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Fatboyteesside: Yes the shop in Cornwall that started doing:

The
South
West

T-shirts as well. It is retarded as you see that and think North Face.

Carlsberg have the most copied thing with their probably ad and they love it as they know it's free advertising.

Cheers

Toby
 thin bob 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Toby_W:
miserable sods. Po faced corporate drones! some junior weasel has decided to try & impress their boss by pointing it out.
I like the jordache/lardarche example
 silhouette 04 Jun 2010
In reply to DJonsight: I would never buy their products. To me they scream "counterfeit"
 Tom Last 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Toby_W:

Ah that was Darkotics in Bristol. I looked the other day to see if they were still available, but they've mysteriously disappeared despite previously accounted for about %80 of their range. Shame really, hmm...
 Tom Last 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Toby_W)
>
> Ah that was Darkotics in Bristol.

Bath sorry
 Dave Garnett 04 Jun 2010
In reply to DJonsight:

Love the 'no confusion' defence that no-one would confuse a face with a butt!

Glad this didn't land on my desk. Humourless corporate drones or not it's a tricky one balancing the PR against the risk to the trademark. I'd like to think I'd take the Carlsberg option though.
 NorthernRock 04 Jun 2010
In reply to DJonsight:

Saw a guy boarding in Canada with a hat....the logo....

Hey F**k Face
 thin bob 04 Jun 2010
In reply to NorthernRock:
> (In reply to DJonsight)
>
> Saw a guy boarding in Canada with a hat....the logo....
>
> Hey F**k Face

Very excellent!

I look at most TNF stuff & think either chavvy or snide. They'd be better employed sniffing out couunterfieters
 thin bob 04 Jun 2010
In reply to thin bob: ...or evn spellcheckers...;-(

I find it difficult to distinguish between form, function, style and gimmicks with TNF stuff..
ice.solo 04 Jun 2010
In reply to thin bob:

i was the same until a friend who managers one of their big distributing stores in tokyo let me in on their 'secret' catalogue.

id like to know if this exists in the UK and elsewhere.

its a large catalogue of stuff of which 99% doesnt make the shelves because its expedition gear that wont sell to joe public when the same space devoted to down vests, t-shirts and purple hyvent jackets will.

incredible stuff like full body polarstretch suits, hybrid down/synthetic suits, lite softshell salopettes, exped weight approach gear, stripped down packs etc. the stuff conrad anker wears in the ads but is never seen in stores.
all super refined, with different logos, nothing pink, teal or tangerine, mega expensive - but very very useable.
i picked up a few bits with a very measely discount and have used it high and cold and have been very impressed, whereas before i was quite skeptical (as i still am of their street level stuff).

i feel like ive dobbed in the freemasons. maybe TNF will come after me next, but it may be worth waterboarding a few gearshop employees to see if this going on in the UK too.
 Bonkers Dog 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Toby_W)
>
> Ah that was Darkotics in Bristol. I looked the other day to see if they were still available, but they've mysteriously disappeared despite previously accounted for about %80 of their range. Shame really, hmm...

I've got one of those. Glad I picked it up before they disappeared.
 Tom Last 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Bonkers Dog:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
> [...]
>
> I've got one of those. Glad I picked it up before they disappeared.

Yeah, me too, great t-shirts. Maybe "before they 'were' disappeared' is more like it!
 Caspar 04 Jun 2010
In reply to ice.solo:

If they're producing this stuff they must want to sell it, so how do I find it?
 Jaffacake 04 Jun 2010
In reply to ice.solo:

I think that's normal, when I worked in a mountain sports shop we had a few.

Like most shops we had brochures of stuff people could order in, some which were shown around more frequently than others. Then we then had two or three which never got shown to anyone other than our friends to say 'check this out!' which contained kit you would be unlikely to consider unless you were going on an expedition to the Antarctic.

The reason we didn't show them to people wasn't anything to do with secret societies though, it was simply that people didn't ask :P
 PTatts 04 Jun 2010
In reply to DJonsight:
The North Face - Never Stop Exploiting
 redsulike 04 Jun 2010
In reply to DJonsight: They do have a sense of humour. Sewn into the fly of their trousers is the tag-line 'never stop exploring'. Class!
 Mikkel 04 Jun 2010
In reply to ice.solo:

There is quite a big difference in what the catalouges hold for Europe/Asia/America

jshields 04 Jun 2010
In reply to PTatts: Excellent!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...