UKC

Osprey Variant 52 v Crux AK-47 X

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alright guys,

My girlfriend is treating me to a new bag soon, and I'm tore between the two of these. I've had Osprey for years and love it...but the Crux just looks amazing!

I'm wondering if anyone can say good/bad things about them both and could help me point me possibly in the right direction.

Thankyou

Wes
 Iwan 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

I've tried the Osprey with about 25kg inside and found it to be a very comfortable sack. I decided to buy a Pod Alpine 40 instead as it was a simpler sack though I'm regretting that decision now as it has too many design flaws.
 Andy Mountains 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

I have an Osprey Variant 52, and although it is a good sack it has far too many straps on it. A bit fiddly.
In reply to 0bi_0ne: the best feature of the variant is that you can get your axes out without taking the bag off! (depending on the type of axe that is).

I say get the osprey, the Crux is overpriced for what you get
 Steeve 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:
pretty much opposites in bag design...
bith very good, but depends what you want from your gear,
if you want simplicity, lightweight, extreme hardwearing, go crux,

if you want a place for everything, lots of adjustment, lots of clips and straps... go osprey.

personally, I'd go crux, I think its a really sexy pack.
 RR 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:
As compliment to what Steeve says; I changed from Osprey bags to Crux bags because of all the bells and whistles on the Ospreys ... way to complicated to put a ice tool on the bag or to open the lid with heavy gloves or cold hands. The Crux is designed with alpine conditions in mind, no things that break down. Simple design, I think (and hope) that the Crux bags will last longer. The corners of the Ospreys didn't last that long climbing rock.
 James Gordon 07 Jun 2010
In reply to RR:

Have had/have both (osprey 37 crux 47x).

Crux: super simple. comfy enough. just enough features and space. almost perfect. maybe not as hard wearing overall as people say? (internal frame wore through its retainer)

Osprey 37: i think the features are excellent, better than crux. durability and comfort similar? maybe slightly less carrying capacity but not much in it.

Like osprey 37 for winter/alps. Would get a crux 57 for greater capacity but super efficient design.
 Skyfall 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

I have a Crux AK-47X and I don't love it. Yes, it's simple and carries a load well and is comfortable. Size and accessibility great for an all-round mountaineering sac. However, despite it's simplicity it isn't terribly neat somehow. The lid doesn't sit very well; often slips, and the over the top fastener doesn't work very well in conjunction wiht the hood. Not that mad on the internal frame design either. Don't get me wrong, I do like the sac quite a lot; but it hasn't quite lived up to my hopes.

I had a look at the Osprey as well and it seemed fussy and heavy, but I have wondered if it would have been a better all round design.

I came at this having had and loved a Pod Black Ice but fancied a change as it was a heavy sac and the new material doesn't wow me. Maybe another another one to consider though (either that or simply a cragsac).
 JayPee630 07 Jun 2010
In reply to JonC:

Had a CRUX pack too, but agree with the above poster, amazing concept and design, but a few niggles made it less than ideal for me.

Ended up selling it and getting a POD Thin Ice, which is just the best sac I've ever had.

JP
Nice one guys...really appreciated.

I'm thinking of sticking with Osprey to be honest however I'm really interested in the POD range. I've seen them around and think I may give them a look at, it's worth while as Ive now been put off Crux.

If anyone has any other suggestions as I've been an Osprey addict for sometime and find it hard to edge away.

I'm looking into a 50ish litre bag for winter/alpine trips.

Cheers again

Wes
 Skyfall 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

Hope it wasn't just me that put you off.

Of all other makes I would probably only look at the PODs and Osprey.

Someone above mentioned the Pod Thin Ice. I am pretty sure I tried this in the shop and it felt a little too cut down and skinny to be comfy carrying big loads but could well be wrong on that. If a little extra weight is not your prime concern, and if you want something for winter/alps, I would look seriously at the Pod Black Ice again. I know they've just introduced an alpine 50l sac and I think I read a so-so review but have a look at them all on here.

http://www.podsacs.com/packs.html
 Solaris 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

I had a Crux AK47 but too many things about it annoyed me, eg a top pocket from which things can easily fall out, no crampon patch on the outside, and badly designed compression straps.

After one alpine and one Scottish winter season, plus some long rock routes, I'm really pleased with my POD Black Ice: it's very well-designed (which despite its looks, the AK47 isn't), carries OK, and stripped down is pretty light. I also have heard that PODs last better than Cruxes.

Ospreys look far too over-specced to me.
I'm just reading into the POD Black Ice rucksack...it's looking pretty good to be honest, its took the spot of the Crux easily!

Are there any good stockists of the POD Black Ice anywhere, I know v12 stock them. I' 6foot 3 or 4 would it be worth testing this out or would anyone recommend buying a size 2 or 3.

Actually it#s took me the good space of an hour to write this up as I've been reading many reviews about this bag...i can't currently fault it!

Cheers
 Skyfall 07 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

Assuming you are in proportion then almost certainly a size 3 (which is what I have and I'm only 6ft, though with a long'ish back).

Can I claim commission?
 Hannes 08 Jun 2010
In reply to JonC:
> Can I claim commission?

Are you really bothered about getting the 0.8% or so the people in shop get?

joe.91 08 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne: another good pack that is often under rated is the grivel alpine 45+10, super bombproof but has most of the features of the osprey, hip belt reverse storable, zip all the way down the front of the pack, helmet mesh, etc
 Col Kingshott 08 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne: I was looking at the same packs as you are mate. In the end i've gone with the mammut trion guide 45 + 7, as i've got a small mammut granite 20 for climbing that is good and uncomplicated. I'm happy with the trion too. I also own a couple of pod sacks, but wasn't convinced by the new ones. Nor totally happy with the osprey, it does seem a bit fussy.

Rgds, Col.
 Steeve 08 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:
definitely have a look at the new pod alpine range,
theyre looking very nice...
and may just outdo the black ice now.
cazzamatazz 09 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne: If you're after a simple pack why not consider the Osprey Mutant 38? It's not actually a 38L, it's 50L (with the top expanded), the thing is huge. The compression straps on it are awesome. Do wish it had a crampon pocket though... but then again, simplicity is also nice
 Iwan 11 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

I'm starting to like my Pod Alpine 40 (apart from the sweaty back panel).
In reply to cazzamatazz: Thank you for the advice...I have the exposure 38 but its getting a little bit stuffed for most gear and wanted to get something a lil larger.

I've gone with the Pod Black Ice and I'm ordering it from Needle Sports tomorrow!

Thanks for all the comments, really appreciated

Wes
 Stuzz 15 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

Good choice!

I got a black ice at the begining of the last winter season and its been briliant! Its the lightest, best designed, most comfortable pack i've ever used. Its done everything from cragging, winter climbing, evernight expeds and day trips so far and its been just great!

the only minor improvement possible that i can see it the extend the outer zip on the lid pocket to make it easier to get things in and out, but that VERY minor and doesn't really affect the bag much at all.

Hope you get on as well with it as i have!
Enjoy
 Solaris 15 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

Good choice. Having enthused about it earlier in the thread, my (very) minor criticism would be that the tape for the shoulder straps is not quite stiff enough: I've found it can get crossed in the buckle.
In reply to 0bi_0ne: I've received it today, and was over excited picking it up from City Link and taking it for a wee walk this evening to see how it felt!

Its great!!! Absolutely love how it feels!

Also a quick shout out to Needle Sports as its the first time I've ever shopped there! What fantastic service they give! I'll be there again in the future!

Thanks for everyone's advice! I'm extremely made up!
 Solaris 16 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

Great! I hope you find it as good a companion as others have. Happy climbing!

(PS, the only down-side of owning a POD is that they last so long that when the next excellent thing comes out, your POD doesn't need replacing so it's hard to justify buying it!!)
 Baku Steve 09 Jul 2010
In reply to Solaris:
Hi there everyone.

I too am agionising about packs in this range. I would already have bought a Pod Black Ice if it weren't for my additional requirement that the pack should be airline hand-baggage compatible.

Lots of folks on tis trhread who are Black Ice owners.

Do you think a (part filled and compressed) Black Ice size 2 is feasible as carry-on?

Cheers
Steve
 MJH 09 Jul 2010
In reply to Baku Steve: Provided you can squish it into one of the bins that use to check bag size then no problem.

Having said that when we went to Chile my mate's 50+ litre rucksack was full to the brim and he got away with it fine!
 Baku Steve 09 Jul 2010
In reply to MJH:

Basically I REALLY want to get a Black Ice, but it might be too big. If flights are busy (or if you're on BMI Baby!) then they can be pretty strict about maximum sizes they allow in the cabin.

The magic maximum numbers are:

56 x 45 x 25 cm
22 x 18 x 10 inches

I think the Size 3 Black Ice is too long at 24" but hopefully the size 2 is ok . . .

Baku Steve 09 Jul 2010
In reply to Baku Steve:

Just realised I have totally hijacked this thread - sorry!
 Skyfall 09 Jul 2010
In reply to Baku Steve:

I think you're getting a tad obsessed about this...

Having said that, my Pod Black Ice has gone on as hand luggage many times with no complaints. It's even the longest back version. As you say, compress it. However, I do think some of the airlines are getting more carefl about checking the dimensions and you are right they could be too long.
 Baku Steve 09 Jul 2010
In reply to JonC:

Totally obsessed!

My excuse is there are no gear shops or climbing here in Azerbaijan so all I can do is spend my days fantasising about al the lovely new gear out there.
In reply to 0bi_0ne: Hi mate having bought the bag recently and also working at the airport I might be able to shed some light on this for you!

All airports are changing the size of their check-in baggage...and it's for security reasons. You now have a tray to pit your hand luggage into. I think my size 3 would honestly be fine depending what's in it? If it was big and bulky there would be problems but if it was for maybe a day out. Then it would be fine! But wild campingetc. Would probably be too big

If you need any more info give me a shout at your exact requirements ad I'll see of I can help

Thanks

Wes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...