UKC

Climbing near Manchester (ish)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 13 Jun 2010
Hey, I'm new to outdoor climbing (and don't own a guide book quite yet) was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good crag not too far from manchester with plenty of well protected routes . I liked hobson Moor.
In reply to FreshSlate: Wilton Quarries (lancashire rock Guidebook)
OP FreshSlate 13 Jun 2010
Looks good. Anything I should know? What's the height like generally? Are there any good taller routes (that aren't really hard or void of gear). Also I noticed some bushy top outs in some of the pics in the logbook, is this a problem?
In reply to FreshSlate: no higher thn hobby moor. there are belay stakes in place where natural protection is not an option.
if you are looking for longer routes then you might have to go a little further afield than the fringes of manchester.

Ahh ok will definitely give that place ago. Just out of curiousity how far would you go for something a little taller?
 Reidy 13 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate: Which side of manchester are you on?
Like ashton/droylsden. So east side I guess
 Reidy 13 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate: Not sure what is closest to that, trowbarrow is worth a visit for longer routes, but not the closest to you
 stewieatb 13 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate:
> Just out of curiousity how far would you go for something a little taller?

North Lancs quarries, some of the bigger white peak limestone crags, maybe North Wales.
 MikeR 14 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate:

Not particularly long routes, but there's some great crags in Chew valley which wouldn't be too far from you living in east Manchester. A bit further out with (slightly) longer routes you've got shining clough which is a great crag on a hot day, longish walk in though. As others have said there's plenty of great well protected climbing in the Lancs quarries although they tend to be north and west of Manchester. Get yourself a copy on Lanc Rock and moorland grit, that should give you plenty of venues for a spot of local cragging.
 ste_d 14 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate:

running hill pits quarries and den lane quarry give good well protected climbing in chew valley in a similar vein to hobson moor, just up past mossley coming from the east side of manchester

you can get a train to greenfield station for access to most of the crags

there are plenty of other good natural grit crags in chew valley too
 sutty 14 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate:

Bus runs from Ashton to Greenfield, or used to so no problems there. Lots of crags within an hours walk then and Laddow is another 30 minutes.

Take it you are young and impecunious so forget trains most of the time, join a local group and get lifts and climbing partners.

I used to live in Denton, and would get the bus to Greenfield, or Glossop then walk up to Yellowslacks and over to Shining Clough or onto Kinder.

Don't own a guide book, you are not a climber yet. If you were, you would get the one for your area, and within three years own at least half a dozen. They are the climbers drug, can't get enough of them.
 Leo Woodfelder 14 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate: This website is brill if you are looking for stuff around Manchester. Get yourself a guide book or at least a partner who has one! http://mumc.me.uk/members-info/local-crags/
OP FreshSlate 14 Jun 2010
Thanks a lot guys. Yeah I borrowed some girls guide book once and was like wow this makes things easier. I just look at a route that looks doable and do it atm.

So I suppose the enevitable question is: Can anyone recommend me a good guide book for the area? .

Oh, I checked out wimberry yesterday and got drenched :P. It didn't look too beginner trad friendly but it was pouring it down so might have seemed worse than it is... Anyone climbed there?
 Leo Woodfelder 14 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate: Hey dude your best bets for guidebooks would be western grit or lancashire rock. I find western grit easier to use as it has nice glossy pics to help with route finding.

You can always tag along with us if you need. Don't mind newcomers and the more people to climb with the better especially as one of my climbing partners is selfishly going to China for 2 months!!!

Drop us a line sometime
In reply to FreshSlate: Wimberry is good if not a bit of a slog to get to. worth it though when not too green (towards the start of spring/summer usually). Another good place to start might be Windgather. if you have a bike you can get the train to whaley bridge and cycle up the road to the crag.
 MikeR 14 Jun 2010
In reply to FreshSlate:

Wimberry is a great crag, the walk in just helps keep the crowds away. It can be a tad green in the winter months but should be fine this time of year. Same for Dovestones edge, with a better selction of routes at the easier grade if my memory serves right (been a while though). Another great beginner venue in Chew valley is Robs rocks.
OP FreshSlate 14 Jun 2010
Yeah it was a slog especially with wet jeans on. It's not too bad though and will probably go sometime. It looks like the belayer's going to be anchored a lot of the time. Hmm western grit (googles price)
OP FreshSlate 15 Jun 2010
In reply to leroybrown: Hey I sent you a pm or email or whatever with my number. (I'm afraid I don't know how to edit :P)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...