/ Audio Books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
David Peters - on 17 Jun 2010
I know these are the lazy man's way of reading a book but as I seem to be doing a lot of driving at the moment they are a convenient way of catching up on my 'reading' and I don't have to listen to Moronic FM ! so it's a win win situation ;-)

Anyone got any recommendations for good audio books to while away those motorway miles ?
Philip on 17 Jun 2010
The Radio 4 Sherlock Holmes series. They did the 4 novels and 52(?) short stories.The thing is, they're not simply the book being read out, they're the original stories fleshed out into 45 minutes each.

I find something like a radio play much easier to follow when driving than a book being read.
Mhairi G - on 17 Jun 2010
In reply to David Peters:

I get audio books out the local library, they have a really good collection. My favourite one by miles (that I picked out because I was running out of options) was "A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewcyka sp? The narrator is absolutely fantastic, unlike some of those American over-actors that can narrate the books. If you like it she's written "Two caravans" as well which is equally amusing, well written and read by the same wonderful narrator.
Pursued by a bear - on 17 Jun 2010
In reply to David Peters: If Terry Pratchett's your thing, the unabridged versions are good; I found the abdriged versions read by Tony Robinson much less so. I also enjoyed Robert Harris's 'Archangel', Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' and am currently enjoying John Wyndham's 'The Chrysalids' as audio books.

T.
WombatCreek on 17 Jun 2010
In reply to David Peters: Have you come across librivox? Free audiobooks of texts that are in the public domain. It's all done by volunteers so ome of them are good, others not so much. Find a narrator you like and see what they've recorded.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Clarence - on 17 Jun 2010
In reply to Philip:

I would think that a radio play would be far less distracting for driving as the different voices don't need as much imagination to put the words to the right character.

My choices: The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy series, the Miss Marple stories starring June Whitfield, Fry's English Delight for factual interest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.