UKC

Midges situation in the Peak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nickthecodgod 21 Jun 2010
Anyone have any information about the current midge situation in eastern or western grit? (Especially the Roaches?)
Thanks.
 Offwidth 21 Jun 2010
In reply to nickthecodgod:

The biting ones have arrived now...seek wind exposure, sun, limestone or southern grit (see here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=413892&v=1#x5898292 )
 davidwright 21 Jun 2010
In reply to nickthecodgod: No midges at the weekend.
 Bulls Crack 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to nickthecodgod)
>
> The biting ones have arrived now...seek wind exposure, sun, limestone or southern grit (see here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=413892&v=1#x5898292 )

Or stop making a fuss about it
 balmybaldwin 21 Jun 2010

No midges at roaches on Sat (was windy tho)

Some midges at Burbage early on on Sun, but cleared as the sun came out
 Offwidth 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Your right...I should have said if they bug you. Some people seem immune and others seem to be masochists in their endurance. Midges love me and its not a reciprocated position, so I will try to be where they are not attacking if I can. For my summer moorland checking I take repellant and cover up.
 EeeByGum 21 Jun 2010
In reply to nickthecodgod: Got mauled on Wednesday night at Stanage. They suddenly descended. Usual rules apply as said above.
 crack 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Offwidth: Been wanting to ask about midges (not yet had the pleasure!) does applying repellant actually deter them or encourage?!!
 hang_about 21 Jun 2010
At Birchen on Thursday they were lurking in the shade. I got bitten a lot until I moved 6 foot! Nothing whilst climbing but it was very hot (and still).

No problem on Sat at Stanage even though it was still and no wind (4-7:30). I think the little blighters were thinking about feeding as we left (but we left enough blood on the routes for them not to need us!).

It's definitely about to get midge-tastic.
 Guy Atkinson 22 Jun 2010

I've been out a few times recently, Stanage there was loads in the late afternoon last tuesday.. and i mean 20 on my hand at any one point in time whilst belaying, i don't usually get bitten by insects but I came back looking like i'd caught the pox.
Curbar wasn't so bad but I wore insect repellant.
Burbage South wasn't bad but there was a bit of a breeze.
Froggatt on Sunday and they started to arrive at about 9pm
off to Millstone tomorrow I'll see how I fare there.
 Andrew W 22 Jun 2010
In reply to nickthecodgod: I was at the roaches upper tier on the 10th at late evening and when there was no wind they were out in force but as soon as the breeze picked up they vanished.
 Jerry67 22 Jun 2010
In reply to crack: Also what about the repellent clothing you can get? I've found the repellent spray often stops them biting, but they still crawl all over you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...