UKC

Almscliff - history

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattyk 12 Jul 2010
A friend of mine is involved in a project documenting stories, art and music inspired by Almscliff - and not just from a climbers point of view

If you have any interesting tales to tell please submit them via: http://almias.org.uk/

Cheers
Matt

PontiusPirate 12 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk:

This might be a useful resource for the forthcoming yorkshire grit guide too

PP.
OP Mattyk 12 Jul 2010
In reply to PontiusPirate: Indeed see the video of posted on the facebook group!
 wilkie14c 12 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk:
I have some unusual bruises and some green furry scabs on me legs ATM from Almscliff if you're interested?
Why the f**k I climb grit in shorts I'll never know!
Yrmenlaf 12 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk:

I failed to find a facebook group

Y.
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

I'm assuming Matt is talking about the invite-only grit guide one - its just meant for guidebook 'workers', though last time I looked (4 weeks ago?), nowt new had been put up!

Cheers,

PP.
Yrmenlaf 12 Jul 2010
In reply to PontiusPirate:

OK, I thought that perhaps this project had one.

Sounds an interesting project, tho, and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

Y.
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

The video in question is a short clip of Blake's 7 filmed at Almscliffe - well, here's some more Yorkshire Grit trivia - some parts of Monty Python's Flying Circus were filmed at and around Ilkley cow and Calf!

PP.
labyrinthina 12 Jul 2010
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

We do have a FB group for interested peoples:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=117839921574551&ref=t...

Any tales to tell, green furry scabs et al, are always appreciated.
 Steve Parker 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk:

It might be worth knowing that it's actually called 'Almscliffe'.

I once did Z-Route there, and when I stuck my head up over the last ledge there was a rabbit sitting there. Fair enough, I thought, but evidently the rabbit did not, and he/she immediately launched out over my head and flew 40/50 ft to the ground, lay there for a moment, then got up and hopped off, no doubt a little offended but seemingly intact.

Then, when the Foot and Mouth ban was on, all the grass grew back. For the first time in God knows how many years there was grass all around the base of Almscliffe again.

You need Arthur Dolphin and Alan Austin and John Syrett for Almscliffe stories really.

wilkie14c 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Steve Parker:
Good story, nice similarity to the Pendle witches, the witch jumping from the top of witches quarry <possibly> and turning into a cat. amazing how adjile animals are eh <unless the rabbit had a spotter?>
 Al Evans 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Steve Parker:
> (In reply to Mattyk)
You need Arthur Dolphin and Alan Austin and John Syrett for Almscliffe stories really.
>
> .

And Almscliffe Eric!
 JSA 13 Jul 2010
In reply to PontiusPirate:

Also a couple of episodes of Heartbeat were filmed at Almscliffe, with Roland Lee Gift, the lead singer of The Fine young cannibals playing the part of an army deserter hiding out there.
OP Mattyk 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk: And of course the opening credits to Emmerdale.
 lummox 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk: is ' Papa Cliffe ' aka Pete Brown involved ? As the only man to dall the routes at the 'cliffe, I reckon he might have some interesting comments..
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Steve Parker: Didn't Arther Dolphin solo Demon Wall in crampons in training for the Alps?
 sutty 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

There is a picture in one of the guides of him leading/soloing it in nails. seen film of him soloing stuff as well, maybe in On the edge series?
 sandy 13 Jul 2010
In reply to sutty: There was some stuff of him and other climbing at Almscliffe in the Pennine Rock series... Seem to remember Angela Soper doing Great Western with Chris Bonington...
 Bulls Crack 13 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk:

Must have already had the famous one:

The creation myth of Almscliffe tells that, long long ago, the great giant Rombald — whose main place of residence tended to be Ilkley Moor — was having a fight with the devil upon his homeland heath. As is common in the myths of giants, the ‘devil’ picked up a great boulder and threw it at Rombald, but it missed and fell just short of the village of North Rigton, creating Almscliffe Crags. A variation of this tale tells that it was Rombald and his wife having the argument and she threw the stones to create the place
labyrinthina 15 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk:

For those who were interested in the Almias project, the site just went live

http://almias.org.uk/

hope you like it!
OP Mattyk 16 Jul 2010
In reply to labyrinthina: Bump to this... some interesting reading to be had! INcluding an interview with the farmer that owns it.
Removed User 16 Jul 2010
In reply to Mattyk:

Probably not of national importance and probably one of many...

A mate of mine singularly failed to lose his virginity atop the mighty bastion. He was foiled as epic winds and rain falling in sheets rolled in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...