UKC

rab bergan jacket just not waterproof?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stewyclimb 16 Jul 2010
as it says really had it for a year, it is the 09 version and i have only warn it in the winter. now it just doesnt beed anything and everything soaks through it. ive tried nickwax after getting really annoyed and hat just worked for about a week.

any suggestions?

cheers stewy
 Petarghh 16 Jul 2010
In reply to stewyclimb: Event needs regular re-proofing. Every 6 months ish I beleive to keep it in top nick.
 andycooper 17 Jul 2010
In reply to stewyclimb:
If you look on the label it says to wash regularly and tumble dry it, try doing that as well as the nikwax.
 Sharp 17 Jul 2010
In reply to stewyclimb: Make sure your using both the tech wash and the TX direct (or grangers 2 in 1) and as was just mentioned tumble dry it if possible.
It beads up so well when it's new because it comes out of the factory with a spanking new DWR. Unfortunately this wears off with use. TX direct or 2 in 1 replenishes the DWR and makes it bead a bit better but you never get the same performance as when it's new. It's really important to tumble dry it or to heat treat it in some other way (steam iron or using a hairdryer) as this melts the water repellent layer over the fabric evenly. Whenever I've proofed without tumble drying it's been useless.
Also bear in mind that even though gore-tex/event are the best breathable membranes around they aren't perfect and your still going to get wet and the older the jacket is the less it will protect you. There are plenty people out their who replace their jackets every season or 2nd season and if you're a heavy user and really want to stay as dry as possible with membranes then that's the only real option.
Ben
In reply to stewyclimb: unfortunately it will never bead like it did out of the shop but as mentioned eVent fabrics need regular cleaning and reproofing for it to perform at its best. when the fabric wets out the combination of it not being able to 'breathe' and capillary action it can get quite clammy on the inside though it doesn't mean the jacket isn't working and not worth taking it back to the shop!

if you read the label, it mentions that eVent needs to be cleaned with a detergent. I would only do this once in a while and even after doing that you need to re wash it to get rid of the whitening additives added to modern washing powders etc. with the grangers 2in1 (not the seperate cleaner and proofer) you HAVE to heat treat the fabric, with Nikwax you don't need to but some will claim they get better results from doing so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...