UKC

quick draw advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew Mason 29 Jul 2010
i im just started climbing and trying to get all my gear ,quick draws are next on shoping list please could anyone give me some advice,they would only be used for sport,not ready for trad yet,i like the look of metolius inferno ,£120 max or wife will kill me lol,looking to get 10
Matt does not bounce 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Andrew Mason:
wouldn't have thought you'd need to spend that much...
I got 5 on sale for 35quid (sorry can't remember where but it was one of the bigger online guys, OUTSIDE or something). They are much the same if you only want them for sport, wiregates, bentgate at one end...actually think mine are prowires..if that helps..
mattmurphy 29 Jul 2010
DMM prowires. Cheap, light and nice to use.
Matt does not bounce 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Matt does not bounce:
here you go, £42 without trying...
http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1638
 jkarran 29 Jul 2010

Alpkit have a good deal on their own-brand DMM Prowires. Joe Brown was doing a similar deal on DMM branded draws, ~£8/unit.

If you're looking to spend a little more then you could consider a clean-nosed design, makes stripping those steep routes a little bit easier.

jk
 TobyA 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Andrew Mason: If you are just sport climbing get keylock style krabs rather than wire gates. They are better for sport and will still be fine for trad if you start doing it in the future. Something like http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/special-offers/climbing-equipmen... will be fine and are on sale. I've been using these http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/rock-climbing-gear/quick-draws/c... this spring and would recommend them for sport climbing.
 another_mark 29 Jul 2010
In reply to jkarran:

Got a link for Alpkit ? I cant see any quickdraws on their website?
Removed User 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Andrew Mason: I get loads of quickdraws of ebay Brand New and cheap!
 Blue Straggler 29 Jul 2010
In reply to another_mark:

I asked about the AlpKit QDs at Cliffhanger, they had pretty much sold out. They were DMM Prowires but in orange, and they weren't cheaper (maybe by £2 or so on a set of 5 but nothing significant)

fionn 29 Jul 2010

Aye, I bought a set of 6 for £48 (posted!), but they are no longer on the site. Alas, it would seem that Alpkit don't do them no-more.
 Quiddity 29 Jul 2010

Someone recommended the Camp Orbit quickdraws for sport climbing, complete with keylock nose and fat tape, available for £7 each from Decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/orbit-polished-quickdraw-33855084/

I don't have them but they look good and are pretty burly and not that heavy in the scheme of things.
 gethin_allen 29 Jul 2010
I'd get a set of 5 DMM pro clips and a set of 5 prowires, then you swap the crabs over so you have a solid gate at the bolt end and a wire gate at the rope end. I find wire gate crabs easier to clip with the rope and solid gates are good for clipping bolts and also this way you can make sure you always use the same end of the draw for clipping bolts.
 jkarran 29 Jul 2010

Sorry, duff recommendation, looks like they've sold out.
jk
 another_mark 29 Jul 2010
In reply to jkarran:

Fair enough.

Chi Cheng 29 Jul 2010
I have 16 CAMP orbit QD from Decathlon; for my sport rack.
There not heavy and the nylon sling is think enough to grab and dog on if you have to.

I have compared these with the Petzl Spirit Express QDs and they are very similar at half the price.

The only proble i found was that the ones decathlon sell are that they are all 11cm long; going over a roof can cause rope drag.

I solved this by buying a 1/2 dozen longer nylon sawn slings (Petzl Spirit Express).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...