UKC

Stove top esspresso maker and camping stoves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 01 Aug 2010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0000AN3QI/...

Can you use one of these with a camping stove? I have a pocket rocket, so balance is gonna be an issue, but do they generally otherwise work ok with camping stoves?

The reason I ask is that I have read you need to be careful about the size of the flame, and that it must not touch the side of the pot. And they can take a while to heat, not really so good if costs me £3 in gas everytime I use it.

Cheers,

Si

aln 01 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060: They work fine, that's the one I use, on a standard stove using a screw in gas cartridge. If my stove is reasonably sheltered I find my coffee brews in the same time it does at home, 2-3 mins. If it's more windy or the gas is running out then a little longer.
 Phil Anderson 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:

Can I suggest getting an aeropress instead?

Looks like a gimmick, but actually makes VERY good espresso. Certainly better than the stove tops I've used in the past. Plus, when not in use for camping, can be used in the office (assuming you have a kettle).

I first heard about them in a thread on here where a few folk were strongly recommending them. Since I got mine, loads of people who have tried it have then gone on to buy their own.
 Mike Peacock 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060: You can. Get down to TK Maxx. I picked a 3 cup one up for £6 last week!
 Morgan Woods 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:

I use my 6 cup one of the same brand on my pocket rocket all the time and it's beaut. As said above they only take a few minutes so you're unlikely to use anywhere near £3 worth of gas.
 toad 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060: use one on an MSR dragonfly all the time, I've even managed it with some messing around on a trangia, though I wouldn't recommend it!
 digby 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:

I use one on a double burner camping stove and the flame ring is wider than the base of the coffee maker. I can't remember how many cups it is but it's quite a small one. It works fine. I thought it might burn the handle but this doesn't seem to happen.
OP snoop6060 02 Aug 2010
In reply to Clinger:

Got a link? I would be interested in one for work, I use a cafetierre, is the same thing?

OP snoop6060 02 Aug 2010
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Same brand as the one linked?
 Mike Peacock 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060: Nope, can't remember what the brand was but for £6 I'm not arguing. They make great coffee, and seem to get better as they age which I think is to do with a coffee residue being left on the sides of the pot.
 EeeByGum 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060: If you are car camping (and if you are taking a coffee maker, you must be) why not just buy a more practical stove than a pocket rocket?

These are excellent value and the refills are cheap as chips too

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-portable-gas-camping-stove-p142491
OP snoop6060 02 Aug 2010
In reply to EeeByGum:

I have one, its utter garbage. Takes about 15 mins to boil a kettle. The rocket takes about 2 mins for the same amount of water.

TBH, all I do is make tea or coffee with it, the rocket is good for that, don't need anything bigger. Balance can be a pain though.
 newhey 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:

Get an AeroPress. Easy to use, easy to clean, superb coffee. Job done

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/3507650/Aerobie-Aeropress-Coffee-And...
EasyAndy 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060: use one all the time with a pocket rocket, balance has never really been an issue

sometimes take a little one (3cup) and sometimes take a bigger one (9cup) so we can use the base of the larger one just for boiling water in to make tea

dont whack the flame up too high cos you scorch the coffee a bit if you do, but gets the job done quick either way

and considering the size of the 3cup one you dont need to be car camping at all to take it with you, they are tiny and quite light
 EeeByGum 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
>
> I have one, its utter garbage. Takes about 15 mins to boil a kettle. The rocket takes about 2 mins for the same amount of water.

That is because you need the modification which involves holding the gas canister against the valve. They are pretty rubbish, but ours seems to be ok as long as you are out of the wind which in our tent is always the case.

I have made quite a journey from my back packing days to car camping with the wife. We even have an air bed now! Get us an our fancy ways.
 Tall Clare 02 Aug 2010
In reply to EasyAndy:

I have a one-cup one. It's indescribably cute. Must remember to try it on the camping stove. My brother had a little two-cup one that had a sort of platform for the cups to sit on - looked perfect for camping. I'll see if I can find a picture.
OP snoop6060 02 Aug 2010
In reply to newhey:

Cheers for the link, looks a good coffee maker for work that does, I use a cafetirre, but not really a big fan. Its hit and miss if I get a decent brew from it. Not sure about camping though.

I've always wanted one of these stove top ones, and I'm told they make very good coffee if you get a decent one.
EasyAndy 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:
> I've always wanted one of these stove top ones, and I'm told they make very good coffee if you get a decent one.

in my opinion it is as good as coffee gets, and they are cheap really when you consider the lifetimes use you get out of them

Tall_Clare - yes please for the pic
 mattrm 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:

Stove tops are quite decent. I can't see why it wouldn't work ok on a gas burner. I've used them on normal gas stoves at home, so can't see why a camping stove wouldn't work.

However, I also have to join in with the Aeropress love. They're very good I find. Better than a cafetiere.
 Tall Clare 02 Aug 2010
In reply to EasyAndy:

hmm... can't find a picture of one as easily as I'd hoped. Kind of like this: http://outdoorproducts.guidestobuy.com/gsi-1-cup-aluminum-mini-expresso-set
but with a lovely blue anodised base and a flat platform to take two cups.

EasyAndy 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:

furthermore if you decide to buy one get a Bialetti, or an Alessi if you are feeling minted

they are invariably the best made of all of them
EasyAndy 02 Aug 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

sweet! kinda like a mini atomic

my sister has one of these

http://timblair.spleenville.com/archives/atomic1.jpg

you use the excess steam to froth milk for capos and it is wicked, but Very Very expensive so i wont be getting one any time soon
 Gazlynn 02 Aug 2010

Has anyone used a handpresso?
Are they any good. I was speaking to a dutch guy over the weekend that swore by them. They aint cheap tho!!!

http://www.handpresso.com/
EasyAndy 02 Aug 2010
In reply to Gazlynn: pretty mental that it generates 16bar

i saw one similar in Oz but it wasnt made by the same company as that, looked very cool but it weighed an absolute tonne
 winhill 02 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:
>
> The reason I ask is that I have read you need to be careful about the size of the flame, and that it must not touch the side of the pot. And they can take a while to heat, not really so good if costs me £3 in gas everytime I use it.

It's the same at home, I use to just boil the kettle and fill it with boiling water, sped things up no end but you need a cloth to hold it with while you screw it together.

So you could do the same, boil the water first and then transfer it.
 ben b 03 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060: Not wishing to bleat but I'd strongly recommend the AeroPress. I am a terrible coffee snob (read: appalling coffee snob), but it is the only worthwhile cup of coffee outside of a proper barista setup that I would entertain and definitely the DBs for camping. Light enough, easy to use, pretty much indestructible, easy to clean, and astoundingly good coffee without the bitterness and acidity that the mini-espresso makers can provide, and streets ahead of any cafetiere I've used either camping or not.
Packet of decent ground coffee + AeroPress + source of boiling water = happy B.
Note for TC: It's almost as good as an espresso from The Fix in Dunedin
HTH
B
stupot 03 Aug 2010
In reply to newhey:

I use the Bodum Solo Filter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-Solo-filter-belgique-black/dp/B0001M0BC4

Same advantages as the Aeropress but simpler, lighter and cheaper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...