UKC

Who is running the omm this year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 antwan 02 Aug 2010
I am, and from what i ca gather except a few folk who enterd the medium score everyone who enterd is in.

Anyone doing short score starting around half 10? I'll see you on the start line!
OP antwan 02 Aug 2010
Forgot to add the list isn't on the main site yet so you need to look here http://www.joelee.co.uk/2010/omm/ommentrieslist.pl?Submit=y
OP antwan 05 Aug 2010
In reply to antwan: Guess its just me then, 1st place is mine!
 Simon Caldwell 05 Aug 2010
In reply to antwan:
We're doing it, long score again. 10.18 start but we've got an hour's bus journey first!
 TeaGirl 05 Aug 2010
In reply to antwan:

A class starting at 7 something!
 Fidget 05 Aug 2010
In reply to antwan:

I am. But you knew that
In reply to antwan: I want to try it next year, if I can get fit enough.

Good luck!
 Alasdair 05 Aug 2010
I haven't entered this year based on what I thought was a fairly lame event in 2009. I hoped i'm proven wrong. It felt as though the events of 2008 resulted in a somewhat watered down race the following year. The b course and surrounding terrain certainly didn't compare with 05-08.

As I say, I hope i'm proved wrong and the OMM 10 is back to the form of previous years. I found events such as the Rab more appealing based on the number of entrants and the nature of the event.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Aug 2010
In reply to Alasdair:
Possibly depends on the course - I thought long score last year was much better than 05 to 07, due to the route choices available.

2005 was basically a straight line run on day 1, those mid-range runners who tried to go further afield to gain more points tended to get back late. 2006 and 2007 had more scope for different routes, but there was one fairly obvious line which scored more than the others. Whereas last year, there were several equally attractive options - the only complain I heard (and made) was that you couldn't tell from the map what was runnable and what was boggy tussock, so it was partly down to luck whether you chose the best route.

> I found events such as the Rab more appealing based on the number of entrants and the nature of the event.

I agree - OMM is too big for my liking, and has always had a tendency to head for bogs and tussocks rather than hills and mountains! The LAMM is the best event by miles cos it's in the Highlands (though I've not done the Highlander yet).
 Elsier 05 Aug 2010
In reply to Toreador:

The Highlander is absolutely brilliant, but so is the LAMM, I don't know which is best! But I certainly prefer them to the other MMs!

I'm not doing the OMM this year, Dartmoor is too far for me and I'm not too inspired by running a MM there, I'll wait until it's somewhere a bit more interesting.
OP antwan 05 Aug 2010
In reply to Toreador: Will probably pass you in the middle somewhere then!
 Timo Austino 09 Aug 2010
In reply to antwan: Hey here is a link to the main site for entries and stuff...

http://www.theomm.com/event/entryInformation.html

Timo
 galpinos 09 Aug 2010
In reply to antwan:

Not bothered this time after the procession that was the B class last year. Too big and not a patch on the LAMM imho.

Keen to have a pop at the Highlander next year.
 lummox 09 Aug 2010
In reply to galpinos: No MM for me for the first time since 97. The OMM was too far this year... have fun.
In reply to antwan:

I see that the entries have now closed. Is then any system if people drop out for the entries to be sold on?
 Simon Caldwell 09 Aug 2010
In reply to La Shamster:
Online entry has closed, but there are still places left in all classes except medium score, and you can enter by snail mail.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Aug 2010
In reply to galpinos:
> Not bothered this time after the procession that was the B class last year

Do a score class - guaranteed no queues!
 steve456 09 Aug 2010
In reply to Toreador: Even all the score classes joined the motorway along with E,A,B and C for day 1 last year. Different controls but they were all just off the same line. Bad routing and non-runable terrain (the location was clearly only chosen for the concrete parking after the Borrowdale incident) meant everybody in the event followed the same trod (and by trod, I mean a bog strip so wide and deep that even a year on is probably still more visible from space than the Great Wall of China).
 Simon Caldwell 10 Aug 2010
In reply to steve456:
I did long score last year and we were on our own for most of the time. Day 2 this was because we chose a non-optimum route due to exhaustion, but on day 1 we did quite well
In reply to antwan:

For a mountain marathon newbie who is hill fit, very competent and experienced blah blah blah but wants a good introduction what class would people recommend?
In reply to La Shamster:

We want to be challenged and are both very used to running off road in the hills but don't want to absolutely kick the arse out of it on a first time event.
 galpinos 10 Aug 2010
In reply to La Shamster:

I'd say B Class or medium score depending on whether you want a line course or a score course. Personally, for a first time I've say B class line course.

The first one I did was a B Class in the OMM and I've done that in the 3 subsequent MMs I've done, improving each time (to a 'career' high of 11th).

For ok runners who can navigate in the B class, expect to be out for 6 hrs Sat, 5 hrs Sun. If you can do that, you'll be fine.
In reply to galpinos:

Cheers absolutely no dramas with 5/6 hours each day was hoping maybe for a bit longer on first day. Plus I'm a local Devon Lass so Dartmoor has been my stomping/running ground for the last 25 years
 galpinos 10 Aug 2010
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to galpinos)
>
> Cheers absolutely no dramas with 5/6 hours each day was hoping maybe for a bit longer on first day. Plus I'm a local Devon Lass so Dartmoor has been my stomping/running ground for the last 25 years

Maybe you should enter the A class then! I'm sure there's old results on the OMM website so you can check how long people took in previous years to see what you're in for.

The last MM I did was the LAMM this June and 6 + 5hrs was plenty enough for me, I was shattered. I am an office bound desk monkey though so the continual up and down dale took it out of my legs. As a Devon lass I'm sure you'll be made of sterner stuff.

The key is good nav. There'll be some canny walking teams who, through good nav, route choice and experience, will beat some running teams.

Enjoy!
In reply to galpinos:

Lol - I think we'll try the B as I've learnt over the years that one can sometimes fall flat on ones face as it were! I'm relying on my nav skill and a bit of local nouse!

But it would be good if we could sneak a team in even though they've closed online entries.

Then if we enjoy this one it may be time to go further afield!

La Sham
 KeithWakeley 11 Aug 2010
In reply to Alasdair:
> I haven't entered this year based on what I thought was a fairly lame event in 2009.

Exactly the same reason I havn't entered this year. I thought last year was just dull. Dartmoor looks like similar terrain, and the OMM just seems to be getting a bit big these days. Did the LAMM for the first time for a few years this year and was really reminded what a proper MM is all about, cracking routes, real mountains and varied terrain. The weather on the first day was hot, but the views stunning, it really weas a great day out in the mountains. Day two was typical MM weather for me, wet and windy, but still a great day out.

Hopefully the OMM will return to somewhere a little more inspiring next year, somewhere with some decent sized mountains, and a mix of terrain. I'm quite bored of the usual OMM bog and tussock trot now. 2008 would have been good, it had the makings of being a good one, shame it was a bit damp and breezy and was cut short.

Good luck to all those doing OMM 2010, I hope I am very wrong and that it is a great event for you all.

K

In reply to KeithWakeley:

You've obviously never been to Dartmoor!
 Alasdair 11 Aug 2010
Dartmoor doesn't match Snowdonia, the Lakes or Highlands for height, climb etc. The terrain that you had to run in the Lakes in the KIMM 2005 and the Rab 09 was a significantly steeper and more challanging than the OMM last year.
In reply to Alasdair:

No but it's far from dull!

When I was involved with SARDA some years ago the guys from the Lakes found the navigation challenging to say the least.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Aug 2010
In reply to Alasdair:
I thought that KIMM 2005 was remarkably similar to the normal KIMM/OMM fare of bogs and tussocks. It probably depended on the controls you went to though, many people had more around the High Street range which would have been better.

All the KIMM/OMMs I've done have been on that sort of terrain, except 2008. Looking at the list of previous events, they've always preferred bogs and tussocks and relatively gentle hills - with one event every 4 or 5 years in more mountainous areas. http://www.theomm.com/forum/index.php?topic=65.0
 Alasdair 11 Aug 2010
In reply to Toreador:

As you say, I think the course and your chosen route will dictate what your experience of the event is. I thought the Galloway event was pretty similar in many ways to last years.

I've come round to the Score classes being a more enjoyable and challenging experience though.

Fingers crossed for a north Wales OMM in the next few years.
 evilweed 11 Aug 2010
In reply to La Shamster:

I think I remember you from the Dartmoor challenge thread?

It's going to be full on in Dartmoor, I'm looking forward to seeing you lot moaning about there being no proper hills at the midway camp.

Those valley's are steep and you can't go far without crossing one. Navigation is difficult, I think the nav on events like the LAMM is easier because of the ruddy great landmarks. It's not hard when your next check is a munro, much harder when you're in a steep sided valley and you can't orientate yourself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...