UKC

Increasing Friction on Vibram Soles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KellyKettle 04 Aug 2010
My trusty old Karrimor summer boots died the other day, and I've resorted to using my mountaineering boots (Berghaus Kibo) for scrambling and more involved walking. They're comfy, sturdy, not excessively warm and generally very good, apart from the traction on wet rock, I nearly came a cropper doing one of the more exposed scrambles on tryfan, which spooked me a bit.

In short is there a way I can increase the level of friction generated by the hard compound that's been used to make the sole? or is there always going to be a tradeoff?
 nufkin 04 Aug 2010
In reply to KellyKettle:

I would say:

> is there a way I can increase the level of friction generated by the hard compound that's been used to make the sole?

No.

> or is there always going to be a tradeoff?

Yes.

Sorry.
 SGD 04 Aug 2010
In reply to KellyKettle: I've used socks over the top of trainers for Ghyll/Gorge scrambling...not sure you would get them over a pair of boots though??
 mrjonathanr 04 Aug 2010
In reply to KellyKettle:

> In short is there a way I can increase the level of friction generated by the hard compound that's been used to make the sole? or is there always going to be a tradeoff?

Buy newer boots?

http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/SPORTS/TrekkingHiking/Main
 Rich Kay 04 Aug 2010
In reply to KellyKettle:

Not many boots grip wet rock particulary well,rigid B3's utilising small ledges work best for me.
I have applied petrol to rockboots for 'instant tackiness' in the past,no point for scrambling boots in the wet I guess.
OP KellyKettle 04 Aug 2010
In reply to Templeton Adams:

I found the stiffness of the boots (near fully rigid) was a great help, but I suspect that the first reply is correct and I'm just going to have to work out what "too wet" is.

As an aside I seem to remember that 5:10's canyoneer boot works on wet rock brilliantly (though this is unsuprising given it's purpose), but I can't justify a pair for scrambling in certain contitions.
 bigbobbyking 04 Aug 2010
In reply to KellyKettle:

Hobnails/crampons? But people will get upset about you scratching the rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...