UKC

Ruptured Achilles tendon :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockjedi12345 04 Aug 2010
Hello

I have suffered a ruptured achilles and have just had surgery to repair it. The surgery apparently went well and I have been back today for a check up and have been taken out of a cast and placed in a boot contraption a week earlier than was expected so on this front I am pleased. I have been told that i am not to weight bare on the leg for 6 weeks and will then have months of phsio.

To get to the point has anyone had a similar or same injury and how long was it before they were back on the rock? Im gagging to get out and have now gone mad sat on my fat backside !!!!!!!!!!

cheers

James
sue(A.T.G.N.I.) 04 Aug 2010
In reply to rockjedi12345:
My brother-in-law had this surgery months ago. Bad news. Still rcovering.
He's been told not to rush things. Good luck.
 Andy Long 05 Aug 2010

I had one in 2006. Twelve weeks in a succession of equinus casts, gradually bringing the toes up. No weight for six weeks. The problem isn't the strength of the repair, that should be ok if the surgeon's done a decent job, but the weakness of the ankle and calf after all that doing nothing. Back on rock in about six months but still generally weak. Best part of a year to get right.

Other correspondent is right. Don't rush this one, it's not something trivial like a broken leg or a hip replacement...

Can I suggest a good flight sim or some really complicated model kits?

Or alternatively, write that novel...

OP rockjedi12345 05 Aug 2010
In reply to Andy Long:

cheers for the replies, not really what i wanted to hear (although this is what i knew!)

I have used the wifes credit card and bought a tv a ps3!

cheers

James
 flash13 05 Aug 2010
In reply to rockjedi12345: say hello to the world of cod online
shorts 06 Aug 2010
Did mine many years ago. Like Andy I didn't climb on it until almost 6 months after the second op. Yes the second op - like a significant number (at that time approx 30% aparently), mine re-ruptured again 6 months after the first op. There may have been warning signs that all was not right with the initial repair as there was some degree of pain constantly following the op but having never had surgery before I assumed pain was probably what happens when you get cut open.
Years later it is now much thicker than the uninjured one and less elastic (only really a problem on dynos climbingwise) but as I was pretty good with my stretches once I was out of plaster I have a full range of movement. Though my boredom with doing toe raises has left me with a skinnier calf on the injured side and a slight propensity for getting cramp in it when standing on small holds in awkward positions whilst placing gear.
The next few months are important for getting it back to normality. Do as much as possible of whatever the physio says and if the physio is happy with you limping around with a slightly withered leg find another that will make you work harder. A couple of months effort now with pay dividends later.
 Calvi 06 Aug 2010

Fifteen years ago I severed mine with a bike chain. It took 18 months to heal fully,but it was back to normal afterwards. My physio was useless though, so instead I just strapped it inside a plastic boot and walked everywhere possible. No residual problems whatsoever.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...