UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Freidrichshafen: the gleaming temple of outdoor consumerism

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Aug 2010
Time to relax.... the English abroad eh?, 4 kbJim Titt didn't find a sleeping bag with a built-in inflatable Playmate of the month in the gleaming temple of outdoor consumerism but he did find a real one near a clothing rack hiding in a waterproof jacket.

Join Jim, in this our fifth Friedrichshafen OutDoor Show report, as he goes in search of astounding designer totty, takes a side swipe at an ethically driven mountaineer and enjoys some locally sourced German beer.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2908

TobyA 09 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Great stuff. I love the dancing walking pole picture. The blonde girl on the right looks like she had to take serious drugs before going out on stage and the black guy seems to be having an all too sudden realisation that not only is he dancing round a walking stick whilst wearing a cycling helmet, but people are taking photos of this...
 IainWhitehouse 09 Aug 2010
In reply to TobyA: .....and the dark-haired girl on the left looks as though she misunderstood the brief when she was told to dance round a pole.

Nice article Jim btw.
 Monk 09 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

What a brilliantly curmudgeonly article. I love it. It is so refreshing to read something as humerous and irreverant as this.
 TobyA 09 Aug 2010
In reply to Monk: although I should add as some one who after six months of using a Reverso 3 deciding that I prefer my, much heavier old Black Diamond ATC Guide I'm quite excited that they've looked at the Guide and said "I know - we can make it lighter by drilling holes in it!" I'll want one.
zachary lesch-huie 09 Aug 2010

A refreshing article. Good one! I'd say the American climbing mags are too attached to their mother industry's teats to publish something like this.
In reply to UKC Articles: OMG... Brilliant!
 jon 09 Aug 2010

Can you persuade Jim to write some more... maybe about some of the things in his bio. It must have been quite difficult to cram all that into only 58 years! Ace.
In reply to UKC Articles: hahahahaahahahahahahaha nice one you ol' Titt
 d_b 09 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Fantastic!

The picture of the boots reminded me of a certain late 90s catalogue describing tents as "Portable lightweight shelter solutions".
 Pete E 10 Aug 2010

"and, at the bottom of the evolutionary tree, the slack-liners."

I take it from this that you either can't do it, or you like alienating certain readers? Didn't read the article in full, but after glimpsing this, i don't think i will.

I'm sure i'll get abuse for this from certain "real climbers" but there's a level between light hearted humour and general snobbishness. Either way i seem to be wrong (as i'm sure any responses will testify...) but i thought it needed to be said.
 Misha 10 Aug 2010
Great article, very witty.

I can't make out the make of that Playmate jacket, could someone help out - and does the girl come with the jacket? Not much of a climber though, judging by those manicured fingernails.
 bouldery bits 10 Aug 2010
In reply to Pete E:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> "and, at the bottom of the evolutionary tree, the slack-liners."
>
> I take it from this that you either can't do it, or you like alienating certain readers? Didn't read the article in full, but after glimpsing this, i don't think i will.
>

Nah - you're not wrong. But if you read the article you'll find everyone gets slated in a lovely irreverant way so please don't miss out.

Great article. Really enjoyed it.

TobyA 10 Aug 2010
In reply to Pete E:

> I'm sure i'll get abuse for this from certain "real climbers"...

Not sure that I'm good enough to count as real climber but I'll give it a go...

> but there's a level between light hearted humour and general snobbishness.

There is, but you appear here to be very delicate and put it much further down the spectrum than most would! Right, now I'm off to find some boulderers to mercilessly mock.

BTW - I like and am all too impressed by shiny new gear in exciting cheery colours, so I'm exactly the type of person the whole article is laughing at. Consider yourself lucky that as a "slackliner" that you just get one throw away comment!
 Monk 10 Aug 2010
In reply to Pete E:
>
> "and, at the bottom of the evolutionary tree, the slack-liners."
>
> I take it from this that you either can't do it, or you like alienating certain readers? Didn't read the article in full, but after glimpsing this, i don't think i will.
>
> I'm sure i'll get abuse for this from certain "real climbers" but there's a level between light hearted humour and general snobbishness. Either way i seem to be wrong (as i'm sure any responses will testify...) but i thought it needed to be said.

Don't be so touchy, everyone gets the mickey taken in that article...unless they are giving out free beer.
 lithos 10 Aug 2010
In reply to Pete E:

slackline - pah at least there was no poi on display

Gus 10 Aug 2010

Got pretty bored after the first couple of paragraphs to be honest.

Randy Baird 10 Aug 2010

Best antidote to gear freak bullshit I've ever read!
 clochette 10 Aug 2010
In reply to Pete E:

Well, I loved it! Touchy slackers.
 Pete E 10 Aug 2010

Okay, fair point, guess i kinda missed the point on that one and read it the wrong way. I must admit i was expecting a lot more abuse than that, but i am sitting here with a wry smile on my face. After a couple of fairly shitty days, that's quite something...
 smallerrich 11 Aug 2010
That photo of Rob is crackin... hahaha.
 steve taylor 12 Aug 2010

A brave article to run on a commercial site. But then again, no-one gets off lightly.
 jimtitt 12 Aug 2010
In reply to steve taylor:
In the original UKC were the `media sycophants´ as well!

gear boy 16 Aug 2010
In reply to Misha:
> Great article, very witty.
>
> I can't make out the make of that Playmate jacket, could someone help out -

Bergans of Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...