UKC

Compass flipping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Giz 16 Aug 2010
Hi

I've got a Silva compass and the needle has flipped - North now points steadfastly South. I have a couple of theories but wondered what the great collective UKC mind thought might have caused it and prevent it happening to its replacement.
In reply to Giz: you can get them re polarised if you send them off to Silva. take it into a stockist and ask them if they would send it off for you.
 deepstar 16 Aug 2010
In reply to Giz: Your freinds have obviously put magnets in your pockets(as suggested in the bumbly climbing thread last week)!
 jon 16 Aug 2010
In reply to Giz:

I remember an incident when I had to use my compass in poor vis... it sent me on a bearing that I knew to be wrong. After sometime I realised I was holding it too near to my phone which was in my chest pocket. With the phone in my sac the compass was fine. Is it possible that it has remained too long next to a phone?
Giz 16 Aug 2010
In reply to jon:
Yeah - magnets/phones is my thinking, in my case, I suspect one of those torches with a magnet you shake to generate power. I reckon ii was being stored close to it or being next to it in my rucsac. I should think the magnetic field one of those generates is quite strong.
Giz 16 Aug 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Thanks I'll try that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...