UKC

Shorts vs Bib Shorts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sharpie530 16 Aug 2010
I am looking at getting some new biking shorts, probably looking at DHB stuff as it gets good reviews at a decent price.

My question is... What are the benefits of bib shorts and are they worth the extra? Also if anybody has any DHB stuff what size would you recommend , I am 6ft 1 with a ~32" waist.

Would be for both XC and Road biking.

Ta.
 Run_Ross_Run 16 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530: Bibs shorts every time. Keeps your lower back warm when needed.
 lukerockwalker 16 Aug 2010
In reply to Darren09:
bibs everytime as it keeps the pad where its meant to be
In reply to sharpie530:

Always bibs for me! Good for modesty of ones midrift as middle-ageness approaches!
 Liam M 16 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530: I prefer shorts - I can never get the straps to stay on my shoulders on bibshorts and they end up sitting uncomfortably around my upper arms!
 Simon2005 16 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530: Bib shorts every time. Less restrictive around the waist.
OP sharpie530 16 Aug 2010
In reply to lukerockwalker:

Looks like I'm going to be looking for some bib shorts then!
 Graham C 16 Aug 2010
In reply to Liam M:

Need to get a better fit then, smaller.
They should be pretty tight.
interdit 16 Aug 2010
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to sharpie530) I prefer shorts - I can never get the straps to stay on my shoulders on bibshorts and they end up sitting uncomfortably around my upper arms!

did you try them on in the shop?

did you try them standing up or curved over in the bike riding position?

your body shortens when you are curved over on a bike - so this is when they need to fit.
size them whilst you are standing up and they may well be too large.

to the OP. bibs. for all the reasons everyone has already mentioned.
Macaroon 17 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530:

I recently went through the same decision making having always had shorts previously.

Totally recommend the bib shorts. I looked at dhb ones as well having bought some dhb stuff before. Looked good for the price but in the end i went for some giordana ones - am very happy with them. Great fit and a lot comfier than shorts for all the reasons mentioned.

Size wise ive always found the Wiggle size charts / guides to be spot on.

jethro kiernan 17 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530: The DHB stuff is pretty good I have some shorts and some winter tights, but I would get Bibs next time instaed of shorts for the reasons above, size wise the DHB is fairly standard British, a lot of the Italian stuff comes quite small.
Macaroon 17 Aug 2010
In reply to jethro kiernan:

yeah its not too bad at all.

I got a pair of their carbon soled road shoes recently and although possibly not as stiff as say shimano or similar, for what you pay you cant really complain.

The only thing annoying more than anything was there was cleat markers on the underside which made positioning the cleats to suit a bit of a footer.
Otherwise their well made shoes for the price
Macaroon 17 Aug 2010
In reply to Macaroon:

Meant to say no cleat markers!!
Chris James 17 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530:

To repeat what otehrs have said, bibs are more comfy (to me) as the pad is firmly hlef in place and also there is no annoying elastic around teh waist.

DHB gear is pretty wide (in my experience) and you need to size according to your height, not waist size - i.e. if you are 6 foot 1 and 32" then I guess you would take size large, if you are 5 foot 10 then perhaps medium etc.

(I have one pair of DHB bibs, size large, I am 6 foot, about 33in waist, they are okay but I could go smaller. The legs are fairly short though)
OP sharpie530 17 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530:

Does anybody have any experience with the Vaude Bib Shorts, as I could probably get that at a good price through work.
 Loughan 17 Aug 2010
There's always Shutt Velo Rapide, a uk company, uk made.
http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/search.php?id=32

I bought the ProBib shorts (on sale at the moment) and there's always the cheaper option of Standard bibs (£30).

Build quality of the ProBib is great, a nice weight of lycra too, it's not the italian see through kind.
 jethro kiernan 21 Aug 2010
In reply to sharpie530: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Descente_Coldout_Bib_Knicker/5360047220/
just got a pair of these, just the thing for autumn/spring seem well made not shorts I know but good value.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...