UKC

THE LOWDOWN: TLD presents: Hansjörg Auer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The overwhelming free solo of The Fish on Marmolada , 3 kbUntil this summer, and perhaps still, Hansjörg Auer was probably mostly known for his unbelievable 2007 free solo ascent of The Fish ("Il Pesce", "Weg durch den Fisch"), a stunning 37 pitch slab on the south face of the Marmolada in the Italian Dolomites.
This year, he, together with Much Mayr,...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57448
R Simpson 21 Aug 2010
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Many thanks for setting up this interview! Free-soloing the Fisch has to be, perhaps, the most pure/bold ascent ever! Having climbed the Fisch I just can not comprehend what it would take to free-solo it; it's such a HUGE route, and never particuarly positive in its harder pitches... Surely Hansjorg is the guy to on sight the Indian face, which, in comparison to soloing the Fisch, must be a step down for him?!

Thanks again, Rich.
lostintranslation 21 Aug 2010

what a great interview, thanks for this.

I think it's really important that this kind of content keeps on flowing into UKC, please keep it up!

I had heard of Hansjörg before this interview but knew very little about him, my knowledge of elite climbers is UK-centric even though I'm German based.

It would be great to have a series introducing the top European climbers - who are they, what drives them, where do they have in the pipeline etc...

lost
 jwi 21 Aug 2010
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Good interview, and well timed. He is certainly climbing well at the moment.
 jas wood 21 Aug 2010
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: sweaty palms type photo ! that chap must be at the top of his game and be very very confident of his ability- inspiring.

Great interview - thanks. Wonder how soloing the Fish would compare with soloing one of the Nose routes.

Curious that there's such a good picture of it. I thought at the time the only photos made available were some snaps from distance taken by climbers on another route.

jcm
 Brendan 22 Aug 2010
Great interview, thanks Bjorn.
 Owen W-G 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Brendan:

If you were going to solo a hard 37 pitch route, would you bother wearing a helmet?
In reply to Owen W-G:

Only if it was on an enormous cliff topped by 600 feet of loose limestone notorious for stonefall, I guess.

jcm
 Brendan 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Owen W-G:

Yeah, that's funny. I guess he wore it to protect from falling rocks - a small rock might bounce off a helmet but could hurt an unprotected climber and knock him off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...