UKC

Indoor real rock climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RichJ634 23 Aug 2010
Just watched this week's Secret Britian. The massive mine system they visited (Middleton Mine was it?) got me thinking. Is there potential to turn somewhere like that into an indoor climbing centre? It would be pretty cool assuming that sound rock could be found/cleaned. I suspect it would be to expensive to develop but I thought it an interesting idea.
 darthbeemer 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones:

Yeah I seen that as well and was thinking the same.

Mega climbing to be hasd and all weather as well.

How cool
 AlasdairM 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones: Isn't this just what Ratho should be?

The logistics of an indoor *rock* climbing centre would be horrific though, imagine proving that the H&S was sound when there's a risk of roof collapse...
 Ade7 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones: Take Ratho as an example.
 EeeByGum 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones: Langorse climbing centre has climbing on real rock. Nothing to write home about unfortunately

http://www.activityuk.com/climbing.aspx
 Tiberius 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones:

I think the H&S would be pretty hard. Indoor walls have a much higher responsibilities as they are regarded as in complete control of the environment. Difficult when the indoors is real rock, but it would still fall under the same H&S requirements as any other indoor wall I suspect.
 batterj2 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones:

Would get very polished very quickly I imagine
 dunnyg 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones: kilnsey isnt far off...
 Mike Nolan 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones: What effect would this have on the rock if it wasn't exposed to wind and rain and sun etc?
Wiley Coyote2 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Rich Jones:

It'd be terible waste. It reminded me of the Cathedral D'Images near Les Baux in Provence. That would really perk up the Peak. The only difference being that you go there to cower from the heat in Les Baux and the rain in the Peak.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...