UKC

Chasing up a job - would you? And how long after interview?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Profanisaurus Rex 24 Aug 2010
Well, as above, really! I am really torn as to whether to email asking for update/feedback.

Had an interview on a Thursday, was told that they would call the following Tuesday. No call, but an email on the Wednesday, saying that there would be a slight delay in informing candidates as to outcome. It will be a week tomorrow from receipt of said email.

I've never chased up a job before, but I really REALLY want this one. I want to show that I'm very keen, but equally, not knowing the reasons for the delay, I don't want to irritate or add to stress/workload of recruiting manager...

Advice? Opinions?
 Bob Hughes 24 Aug 2010
In reply to Profanisaurus Rex: definitely chase up but do it politely. Give your reason for chasing the job up that you're really keen.

Philip 24 Aug 2010
I would do it. If they're struggling to decide between you and another and you show the effort. I've always added extra weight to any application where the applicant has shown extra effort.
Goodwin912 24 Aug 2010
In reply to Profanisaurus Rex:

It isn't by any chance a GIS job in Edinburgh is it?

Im waiting to hear from an interview I had on the 4th, sent them two emails and they are still deciding.
In reply to Goodwin912:
> (In reply to Profanisaurus Rex)

No, nowhere near, I'm in London. Fingers crossed for you, though!
 teflonpete 24 Aug 2010

I'd go with Bob's idea. If you didn't tell them you're not looking anywhere else at the interview, then I'd email them telling them that you've been invited to an interview somewhere else but their's is the job you really want. Makes you look even more employable but keener to work for them.
 Tiberius 24 Aug 2010

I agree with pete...just be careful that you don't appear to be trying to pressurise them to make a decision though.

Generally I never bother chasing, if they want me they'll chase me, but if you want the job then I guess there's nothing wrong with appearing keen.

OK, weighing up the options logically.

If you don't chase, nothing changes.

If you do chase, it's unlikely to affect the outcome badly. Particularly if you are your usual charming and articulate self and that I know you have the sense to back off and end the call if you feel the recruiting manager is reacting in a less than positive way.

But I wouldn't spin them a line about wanting to know because you've had other offers; it sounds like you're trying to force their hand. Just be honest - you would be very interested in knowing the reason for the delay, even if you can't affect that, because you are particularly interested in the job and would be keen to know how likely your chances are at getting it.

I think I'm saying go for it.

P.S. Am in after 9ish tonight if you want to chat

P.S. I should add that, to my recollection, I've only chased up on an interview result once. I had had a standard "we'll let you know" from HR but no timeline. I ended up ringing the line manager for whom I'd be working and who had also been in the interview (obviously!). She told me the delay was because....

.....they were working out the package to offer me.

It's the job I'm in now.

Thanks to you all. Emailed them, the recruiting manager has been off sick.
 teflonpete 24 Aug 2010
>
> Thanks to you all. Emailed them, the recruiting manager has been off sick.

That'll account for the delay then. Fingers crossed for you.
In reply to Ava Adore:

YHM...

lcb
 Tiberius 24 Aug 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:
> But I wouldn't spin them a line about wanting to know because you've had other offers; it sounds like you're trying to force their hand.

Yes, don't go that far, but saying you've been invited to an interview should be fine. I think that's pretty much what both me and pete said.
 Scarab9 24 Aug 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:

>
>
> .....they were working out the package to offer me.
>
> It's the job I'm in now.

exact same happened to me if you want more good examples! They were just waiting for a response from the central HR goons to say my pay level etc had been authorised
 EeeByGum 24 Aug 2010
In reply to Profanisaurus Rex: Ring em up. The email sounded like a classic fob off to me.
 Postmanpat 24 Aug 2010
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Profanisaurus Rex) Ring em up. The email sounded like a classic fob off to me.

Why? There's nothing to be gained. If it's a fob off they have reasons for fobbing off and don't want to be pressurised.If it isn't they'll also be pissed off.

The OP has made his points: he's keen on the job, doesn't want to be forgotten and wants a notification when a decision has been made.

Yanis Nayu 24 Aug 2010
In reply to Profanisaurus Rex: Good luck with it.

All else fails, buy a set of bagpipes and go busking outside the office and tell them you'll stop if they give you a job. I'm sure that'll work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...