UKC

Whisperlite stove - any benefit mixing own fuel?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 27 Aug 2010
I've just bought an MSR whisperlite International and am thinking of mixing Coleman's fuel (refined petrol) with regular unleaded - say 50/50.

The idea being the mix would be cleaner than straight unleaded (and therefore less clogging), but the price would be significantly less than pure colemans (£4.60 a litre rather than £8)

Anyone tried similar? or (as my wife insists) do I just have too much time on my hands?
 dirtbag1 27 Aug 2010
In reply to FrankBooth:
I'm with your wife.
(Not literally, but figuratively).
 Reach>Talent 27 Aug 2010
In reply to FrankBooth:
Would you not be better off just running unleaded and occasionally cleaning with the Coleman fluid? Not having a clue about the typical particulate size could you use a sintered glass filter or similar to sieve the chunks out of the unleaded?
OP FrankBooth 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:
not a bad idea - I've got a family coleman stove that came with a petrol filter so i was going to use that.
sypmc 27 Aug 2010
In reply to FrankBooth:

Go to a car accessory place and buy panel wipe.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=5&UTN=14730&am...
 metal arms 27 Aug 2010
In reply to sypmc:

<Hijack>

I have a Whisperlite as well. What other stuff can you run it on apart from Unleaded & The expensive fuel? Does White Spirit work? I have also heard people mention Panel Wipe from Auto Body shops? Any advice from you UKCers on what I should buy to get my fuel costs down?

</Hijack>
sypmc 27 Aug 2010
In reply to metal arms:

Check out the link, it has all the info

metal arms 27 Aug 2010
In reply to sypmc:

Yep. Sorry did that. Not paying any attention this morning! Thanks for the useful link.
 summitjunkie 27 Aug 2010
In reply to FrankBooth: I use Aspen 4T in my MSR and have done for three years now - it's the dogs as it's just a quarter the cost of Colemans and, for all intents and purposes, is the same thing.
In reply to sypmc:

> Go to a car accessory place and buy panel wipe

Having contributed to that OM thread on panel wipe, I think I'd now suggest Aspen 4T chainsaw fuel instead (as discussed later in the thread). Probably the same price, but at least you know that Aspen 4T is intended to be burnt, and, being a specific product, you're not likely to get the wrong type of panel wipe...
 SteveD 27 Aug 2010
In reply to captain paranoia: Aspen 4T is my fuel of choice and (IMO) is better than coleman fuel in multifuel stoves as it burns a little less vigorously at low settings so is easier to control when simmering (certainly with my omnifuel anyway)

Steve d
 Niall 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to FrankBooth)
> Would you not be better off just running unleaded and occasionally cleaning with the Coleman fluid? Not having a clue about the typical particulate size could you use a sintered glass filter or similar to sieve the chunks out of the unleaded?

Unleaded has chunks? That could explain why my car occasionally decides to run like a bag of spanners in a washing machine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...